To block the fucker in?

(120 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Fri 18-Jan-13 12:38:52

And breathe...

Picture the scene... terraced housing in blocks of 4, so 8 houses on one side, 4 on the other. We're on the side with 8 houses. Between the 12 houses there are 8 cars which park on the street, no bays just on the road plenty of room for all of us, occasionally you need to go a teeny bit further up the road but never an issue. Git opposite has, in his own words, lived here for 40 fucking years. This for some reasons makes him think the space at his gate is his. It isn't. It's on the road parking, anyone from anywhere can park there. We've been here for 6 years and witnessed his antics. He'll waste 3 car lengths of space just to get parked at his gate. He'll park as close as possible to anyone on "his" space.

He had a huge go at our new neighbours over it, we were on holiday at the time and one of our cars was in his space. Last night he went out, leaving his space vacant, dh popped out and on return parked in "his" space. Half an hour later the git returned and sat honking the horn a few times before wheel spinning off to park 10 metres up the road.

So this morning dh car is still there, the gits 2 spaces up, the car next to dh left so git has moved his car next to dhs car. he is, without a word of a lie, 6 inches of his bumper. the fool can barely park as it is. right now there's a full space behind git so he could reverse out when he wants. I'm in front of dh so he has enough room to get out.

Wibu to park behind the git, close but not stupidly close, to block him in?

CooEeeEldridge Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:20

Do it! Do it! Do it! Good work on leaving a car there when you went in how too!

I had this problem where I used to live. A man with a 3 wheeler who thought one space was "his". He despised me.

Apparently I wasn't the only person who he fucked off, though - one day I received a call from the police saying that I had apparently parked my car in a way which obstructed this man from driving his car out of the space in which he was parked.

Unfortunately, as I explained to the very understanding police man, I was in Cyprus, had been for 3 days, and as such it was fairly unlikely to be me who was the last to park.

CooEeeEldridge Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:35

*on hols

nancy, how?

A car is a specific shape. If two other cars are touching the bumpers, it's got nothing to do with power steering - the car simply won't be able to take up the longer amount of space it needs to get out of the space. You have to create a diagonal line that's longer than the side length of the car at some point when getting out of a space, right?

(Disclaimer: I am crap at visual stuff, though pretty good at parking - I just can't picture it). confused

BelieveInPink Fri 18-Jan-13 13:07:05

I wanna see a photo! And his reaction.

Nancy66 Fri 18-Jan-13 13:07:30

LRD with 'less than a foot manouvering room' it would be pretty easy.

Forward a few inches, hard right down on wheel.

back a few inches, hard left down on the wheel. Repeat.

you've got to not be afraid to touch bumpers - but we've had that debate on here before...I think it's fine to touch bumpers on another car...others disagreed!

badtemperedaldbitch Fri 18-Jan-13 13:08:35

Are you all not being a tad petty?

Every road has a loony parker and you have to ask yourself if you want that parking loony to be you!

Post the photos! Post the photos! grin

<luffs a parking thread>

MadBusLady Fri 18-Jan-13 13:10:51

Hm, but won't he know you've deliberately blocked him in and acquire a tiny bit of moral high ground?

TreadOnTheCracks Fri 18-Jan-13 13:11:20

I think you've got to do it.

MadBusLady Fri 18-Jan-13 13:11:26

Actually, maybe he could park his car on that...

gobbin Fri 18-Jan-13 13:12:50

My mum's been in this situation and had it so that the nob who thought the road space was his used to regularly park right up against her bumper.

She spoke to him about it a couple of times which he wasn't impressed with, so the next time she dared to park in 'his' space, he blocked her in and got a mate to block her in front once the previous front car moved off.

She took photos on her phone and called the police straight away. They came and got him out of his house and gave him a huge bollocking and said if he did it again, he'd be charged.

He never did it again.

Don't block him in. Just keep parking there if there's no alternative and enjoy the floorshow when he erupts!

MrsKeithRichards Fri 18-Jan-13 13:14:04

I have risen above it for 6 years but the beeping last night, obviously to show his displeasure with the situation at 10.30pm, and the way he's moved his car today has really pissed me off.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Fri 18-Jan-13 13:17:32

Block the fucker in the police will have enough on their plates with the snow today.

SpicyPear Fri 18-Jan-13 13:19:48

I would live you to block him in, but don't as it just brings you to his level. I'd be tempted to print off the law about on street parking with relevant bits highlighted, along with a letter informing him that you will be reporting him for harassment if he contiues his behaviour. Or maybe invite him to mediation- I bet that would really get his goat.

MrsKeithRichards Fri 18-Jan-13 13:21:23

What are the laws about street parking?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Fri 18-Jan-13 13:22:22

Block him in. although Sod's law states some bugger will park too close to you on other side leaving you all stuck

nancy - oh, sorry, I missed that, thought she was talking about literally blocking him in, bumper to bumper. You're right.

However, it would be very funny to watch him wrecking his tyres inching out of that space, so I still vote 'do it'! grin

SpicyPear Fri 18-Jan-13 13:23:51

Yes this is the fatal flaw in my plan, despite a legal background I'm not sure where you would find something that states the law. Errr, I'll have a google. Or your local authority might have something on the website. You certainly don't have rights to the space outside your house on a pubic road!

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 13:27:25

Ooh a parking thread!

<settles back with brew and biccies.

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 13:28:06

grin pubic road!

ExpatAl Fri 18-Jan-13 13:28:09

I think it would make you look like a nutter OP. He obviously really minds about it so does it really matter?

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 18-Jan-13 13:34:00

do it , I had a git just like yours, got arsey when he couldn't park in 'his space' eventually he had a parking hardspace built over his garden so we are a space down on street due to the dropped kerb. Once he knocked us up at 10pm to move the car up a bit so he could get in his space when there were plenty a short walk away. he also used to park so close you could not get in the boot. I 'accidently' opened it and it was so close to his car that his back wiper clicked off. it clicked on again but i had great fun leaving a note telling him grin

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Fri 18-Jan-13 13:34:08

Love a parking wars thread. Do it OP.

MrsHoarder Fri 18-Jan-13 13:38:07

Unfortunately I can't see anything about not being an arse in the highway code. There is not however a "right" to a specific piece of road, and somewhere else in the hgihway code it definitely warns against using your horn like he is but I can't be arsed finding the right section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now