to think that this should not be happening in this country, regardless of which religion it is

(89 Posts)
BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 09:17:52
Abitwobblynow Sat 19-Jan-13 17:07:23

Waynetta, can you campaign for parliament?! We need good Brits like you! (I too am from another continent and I HATE right-on left wing twats people apologising for British values and British institutions, and I hate them even more pretending that other cultures are of equal value - they aren't. If they were we wouldn't be here, would we???????

Abitwobblynow Sat 19-Jan-13 17:08:52

Oh, and you very much are NBU. This is bullying and intimidation and the perpetrators need arresting and charging, with an invitation to return to whichever islamic paradise they originated from.

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 17:33:47

Lol I would love to campaign for parliament because as a British (I prefer English actually) Muslim, I'm sick and tired of all the PC bollocks that goes on, as are the majority of Muslims in this country. Furthermore, there needs to be some sort of guidelines in Islamic and other religious centres that prohibits extremist views and has a strict policy on people who try and radicalise or push hardline attitudes. One of the most disgusting things is the attitude of people with faith towards people who don't have faith, that kind of contempt is unislamic and is arrogance at its worst. I've slowly distanced myself from friends who think anjem choudhary is acceptable, who have extreme views on every tiny thing, who judge other people for choices that they don't agree with, and who berate female Muslims (like me) who don't wear a billowing tent dress and headcover in public. Thank god in general the majority of Muslims like dh's family, my sis in law's family and many others are religious yet moderate and have integrated well/speak perfect English whilst bringing their kids up to be decent and contribute to the economy.

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 17:43:59

Integration is what pisses me off the most actually. How you can be in England for 30 years, not speak the language fluently, and not have any native friends or cultural awareness just staggers me. Yet unbelievably I've met people, of different faiths, that are like this. My kids are Muslim and half Arab, but they are English/British white and a few other European nationalities to boot. My son dances to Arabic music and asks me when I'm going to put on Afternoon Tea and scones lol. My dh loves his native dishes but adores the countryside and winters and if course a full English (wink). Sorry for the rant guys but this is personally what I think everyone should be doing really, cultural awareness is great but we have to remember where we live and the social norms around us. The prats on the Fail Online are a perfect example of possibly bad upbringing and limited intelligence and social skills.

BeanJuice Sat 19-Jan-13 18:47:46

Ah, I love people like you Waynetta grin

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 19:00:56

Haha grin I'm almost BNP with some of my views...according to the PC brigade ;)

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 19-Jan-13 20:21:01

waynetta completely with you. And I'm of a minority ethnicity too.
I don't understand how people can live in a society and not even want to integrate.

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 20:34:56

Zombies I'd love to know the answer too because the irony is that all of us can benefit and learn from different cultures and backgrounds, whilst still knowing our own roots and respecting where we live. Rant aside, the majority of non-whites/English are very educated, integrated and decent people, just like anyone else. My problem is literally with those who slag Britain off, drain the nhs (tons of kids and diabetes/high cholesterol due to their high fat/sugar diets) and refuse to make friends with anyone beyond their own nationality. I think living in London maybe problems such as these are more prevalent? Not sure

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 19-Jan-13 20:55:00

No plenty of ghettoes in places around the country where people are just so content to stay in their own holes.
They won't meet people outside their own narrow comfort zones and somehow it's become a matter of pride.
Along with all that comes the cultural baggage of expecting the children to not integrate. What pressure that must put on these poor kids I can only imagine.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 19-Jan-13 20:55:36

Not these kids in the video because clearly they are in their own parallel universe!

ReallyTired Sat 19-Jan-13 22:17:14

WaynettaSlobsLover,

I completely agree with your posts. I believe that a Muslim parliment/council/commitee would help to disinguish what are real religous rights and when a muslim is taking the piss. (Ie. exhibitionist behaviour of wanting to wear the jihab in class rather than the simpler hijab) or wanting to cover the face completely. (The rights of Deaf people to be able to lip read are as important as religious rights.)

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/mar/23/schools.religion

I feel that this school girl's family should have paid for the costs of the court case. The whole point of a school uniform is that children can't pick and choose what they wear. The shalwar kameez meets the Islamic needs for modesty perfectly well.

alemci Sat 19-Jan-13 22:29:39

yes, I wonder if this would have made the courts if the legal costs hadn't been paid. I totally agree about the lip reading issue. It was also a health and safety concern.

I always felt that school girl was being manipulated by her family.

WaynettaSlobsLover Sat 19-Jan-13 23:15:55

I didn't even know about that case until I just read it Really!! That's a real pisstake and I completely agree with the shalwar kameez being sufficient. Those jilbabs can be a safety issue, I for one have tripped up stairs whilst wearing one and carrying my ds. They are impractical particularly for the school environment. Lip reading like you said is the priority here, without any shadow of a doubt.

peacefuloptimist Sun 20-Jan-13 09:27:51

'That the out of order factions seem to get away with it.'

Really? Through the whole video you never saw the faces of the two making the video once and it seemed quite deliberate (i.e. hoody, back to camera). Seems like they are not so cocky that they will risk showing their faces to the public. Wonder why? Probably because they know that they will get in trouble and face consquences for their anti-social behaviour. There have been prosecutions against this type of radical behaviour (for example their leaders have been imprisoned and in some cases deported, the men who were handing out the homophobic literature were sent to prison) so I disagree that they are not being dealt with.

'Where were the police?'

I think a lot of people who ever have reason to call the police find themselves asking that question. That question the police alone can answer.

'Just really don't like this no area thing because won't most people not go there anymore if this sort of behaviour becomes more common place and then it does become a no go area.'

This type of behaviour is certainly not new. You will find it in any major city where there are gangs. For example in South, North and East London (not familiar with West) there are gangs who engage in postcode feuds where if you come from a certain area (e.g. Hackney - no offence to those in Hackney I just know of a particular example of someone from Hackney experiencing this) you will be beaten up if you go in to another area where there is another gang 'ruling' even if you yourself are not part of the gang in your area. I know definitely in South London you have this sort of thing where some people from Peckham, Woolich or Brixton are afraid to go in to neighbouring areas for fear of being subjected to gang violence. Weren't there cases in the news a few years ago about young people being killed for this same reason. Arent there some parts of your local area which you will avoid because of crime, drugs, anti-social behaviour etc? My point is this happens already but it doesnt effect the majority of society (in the cases Ive mentioned normally just young men) and it is not linked to religion. It seems probable that these men are from a similar background and are still engaged in the same behaviour though they have left the gangs (and made their own it seems). This type of behaviour is very difficult to eradicate completely from urban areas but it can be controlled and the perpetrators punished which Im sure will happen to these two if they are identified.

The media fixate on these sort of Radical groups because they like scare-mongering because thats what sells papers. However there is nothing to be afraid of because these groups are a minority within a minority. A tiny fraction of the total population. In my earlier post I mentioned that 10 men were engaged in doing charitable, helpful work in my local area. Compare that to the two who made this video. It would be worrying if all sections of the muslim community behaved like this but the fact is they dont. You will find the type of people mentioned in these articles who engage in this sort of vigilante behaviour fit a certain profile. They are young (normally under 30), they are not well-educated, they come from deprived backgrounds, they are unemployed or work in low-skilled jobs. In fact they fit the profile of other factions of UK society who also feel alienated and similarly create problems and engage in anti-social behaviour.

The way to deal with Radicals like this is the same way you deal with the far-right white extremists. Firstly, monitor them to make sure they abide by the law and there views do not cause them to harm others in society, acting if they do break the law (which is largely what happens with these people). Secondly marginalise them. There was a huge storm a few years ago when the BNP leader was invited on to Question Time. People rightly objected because they didnt want him to get a platform to express his extreme views and possibly garner more supporters. That is how the Muslim community deals with Radicals like these. We do not allow them to speak/preach at mosques (normally you will find them hovering outside the mosque premises because they are not allowed inside), their views are challenged ferociously if they enter in to debate with mainstream muslims (which they tend to avoid), young people are educated and warned against this type of fanatical, radical views. The Muslim community does not give them a platform on which to stand. Its time the UK media followed suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now