to think that this should not be happening in this country, regardless of which religion it is

(89 Posts)
BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 09:17:52
ReallyTired Fri 18-Jan-13 11:20:49

"If they dont like it then perhaps they should go to the muslim countries where these views are law. Even the British born. People from those countries come here, why shouldnt they migrate there?"

I agree, but I would be surprised with any extreme muslim country being prepared to accept such idiots. I suppose that they consider what they are doing is "Jihad" and they have the best of intentions.

As shakesphere said "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I fear its young naive people like this who get radicalised into suicide bombers by the taliban, even if we could persaude them to emmigrate.

I agree eliza.

I have similar feelings about being from NI. The actions of a few casting a shadow on the many others who live and let live.

Nancy66 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:26:58

it's just one mad bloke and a mate with a mobile phone.

I think it's quite funny (and so typically British) that a couple of people they approach just so 'oh right. sorry' - as if they guy doing the shouting has some kind of authority.

crescentmoon Fri 18-Jan-13 11:28:54

Thank you eliza that's how I feel sometimes. We're damned 5 ways till Sunday.

TidyDancer Fri 18-Jan-13 11:30:23

I saw this reported elsewhere, and yes it is horrifying. It would be horrifying regardless of which religion it was and at their most pointed, all religions are scary and at odds with normality.

I suspect this is being hyped up because of extremists wanting to impose ridiculous misinterpretations of sharia law on the UK.

It worries me that there are swathes of people in this country who really don't know what it actually means to be a muslim, they only see an interpretation of it in the media and therefore could easily be left with the impression that being a muslim equals being an abusive insane extremist.

FFS that could apply to anyone, of a religious nature or otherwise.

If you're a good person, you will be good regardless of what religion you affiliate with. If you're bad, well then religion is just another thing you can twist to your own agenda. This extreme kind of behaviour has jackshit to do with actually being a muslim.

alemci Fri 18-Jan-13 11:31:21

Yes perhaps it would be better if the men didn't rant and had a chat with people about things rather than being judgemental. I don't think they are going about it in a very good way and it will just scare and alienate people.

also I would question if they have a day job. They seem to have alot of time and energy to pursue this agenda. Definitely a chat from the police should be the way forward.

I think it is a disgrace the way young people get intoxicated and then they are vulnerable

For example in a local town some christians go out on a Friday night and walk the streets. I think they are called Street Angels. They don't preach but sometimes talk to people who are drunk and my friend took a man to hospital who was very ill. I applaud her giving up her time to go out on a freezing night.

I don't agree with people pushing religion onto others in an aggressive way.

elizaregina Fri 18-Jan-13 11:31:42

The girl took them on though Nancy.

Yes I am sure lots of extremist arms of other religons do things in the uk but its just the muslims we here about.

It shines a constant spotlight on them, I can't persoanlly recall any problems with sikhs - hindus - a bit of out cry when the vatican says things occasionally - it just seems to be muslim muslim muslim...The Media loves them.

I am sick of hearing about Muslims myself - they must be too! I dont want any religions thrust on me.

Also whilst its clearly a couple of prats - almost having a laugh to see what they can get away with - telling women to cover up?

elizaregina Fri 18-Jan-13 11:34:12

BTW Alemci -

"Yes perhaps it would be better if the men didn't rant and had a chat with people about things rather than being judgemental."

If a man came to me to have a " chat" about covering up I think I would be calling the police non emergency number and pressing charges!

Nancy66 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:35:01

Yes, the girl was great!

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 11:38:34

They are twats. Can't we lock them in a room with the EDL and let them get on with it?

Trust the good old Daily Mail to pick up on this, after all they don't have an agenda do they.

My DH is muslim from a country where 99% of the population are muslim and he wouldn't condone this sort of behaviour at all. He would welcome people being interested in his religion and to try to underdstand what he believes and I doubt he'd think that these two are doing anything to promote understanding between different groups. On one level they are failing as muslims as they are alienating people from the religion instead of offering people an insight.

littleducks Fri 18-Jan-13 11:39:15

If this is real, it looks like a pair of (young) idiots messing about. I disagree with the other posters that the girl was brave, I think the couple did the most sensible think to ignore and walk away. It should then be reported to the police, we really don't need vigilantes whatever their beliefs.

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 11:40:39

It reminds me of when I see the press abroad. One relative said to me 'this David Ike fellow...' I almost wet myself laughing that he was being reported abroad with much gravity and shaking of up heads.

alemci Fri 18-Jan-13 11:42:52

Yes totally agree Eliza but was trying to compare it with the Street Angel approach and how they are going about things in the wrong way. I don't agree with them doing this at all. They don't seem very open to debate.

I don't like the way they state this is a Muslim area. That is quite worrying. Will some parts of London become no go. I hope the police crack down on them.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Fri 18-Jan-13 11:46:24

I feel sick, shocked and angry!
How intimidating and scary for those who were harrassed. These people can well do "hijra" and go about their business elsewhere.

And I too am a Muslim.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Fri 18-Jan-13 11:48:07

I can see that others find this funny. If I was going about my business and some man was ordering me to move away or stop what I was doing I would not laughing at all.

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 11:48:17

grin That man's face when they tell him no alcohol allowed grin.

But on a serious note, I think they're just two twatty, uneducated buffoons with too much time on their hands. Like the EDL, but Muslim.

ophelia275 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:51:00

I find this really scary. Who the hell do they think they are. Bloody cheek!

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 11:56:00

Sadly, these silly wee boys will be just a couple of idiots making fools of themselves. Equally silly wee boys with the opposite opinion will now go out looking for them, yelling at women in headscarves to take them off, etc etc etc.

Some of my family love in Iran where you get idiots like this (sadly with a uniform and badge) telling some to cover their hair, zip their coat etc. Recently, however (snigger) one of them was grabbed by a group of women, beaten up, told exactly where to go, and had his trousers stolen.

Orwellian Fri 18-Jan-13 12:11:05

This is becoming a real problem in the East End. There are openly homophobic groups of Muslim men prowling about threatening gay people and putting up stickers and posters about it being a "Muslim area". They also spit at women who are not covered up and generally don't like white people in "their area". And yes, I have had personal experience of it and really really unpleasant. People are sticking their heads in the sand if they think this is not happening. The police don't seem to give much of a shit, in fact they seem to have tried to cover up the Islamicisation of Tower Hamlets; see here www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8570506/Police-covered-up-violent-campaign-to-turn-London-area-Islamic.html

alemci Fri 18-Jan-13 12:30:54

yes I think this is quite scary Orwellian. Not much fun for those who are not of that religion. I think the police and politicians need to stamp down on this.

peacefuloptimist Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:19

I couldnt even watch the whole video it was so cringe-worthy. However I agree with you Crescent. Why on earth would a bunch of 'children' with nothing better to do then hang out on the street bothering people they dont know make the news? The way they dress, the way they speak, what they are doing and even the background track to their video shows they are more influenced by the gang-culture adopted by some young people rather then Islam. Even their name 'Muslim patrol'? That sounds like a name my teenage brother would have come up with. I always find it baffling why these people get so much airtime (and that they even exist). However, as much as I would like to think people would know better than to tarnish all muslims with the same brush I know there will already be right-wing muslim-bashing websites who will already be preparing their headlines 'Muslims want to enforce sharia in UK' or some such other nonsense. Its like going to the most deprived white areas and asking people living there what their views are on homosexuality or immigration then saying that is a commonely held view amongst most British White people.

BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 13:59:44

Orwellian, that is shocking.

sashh Fri 18-Jan-13 14:52:34

A couple of idiots film a video and it's on the news.

We have laws limmiting trading on certain days imposed by one sect of one religeon and no one seems to care.

Latara Fri 18-Jan-13 14:54:35

This video has given me ideas:

I could go out in a hoodie & shout at random people -

''YOU, cover up! - leggings aren't meant to show your bum!!''

''YOU SLOB! Get a shirt over that flabby belly''

''YOU gross yucky person; don't spit in the street!! And give me your Stella -for later- because it's just wrong!!''

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now