Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder why the school needed to send a text warning us that they'd let us know about school being open or shut tomorrow...

(94 Posts)
MrsMushroom Thu 17-Jan-13 20:19:31

because of the snow...when it's only dropped about three flakes?

The text was sent out this morning at 9.30am and there hadn't been ANY snow in the area (cheshire)...how can they warn us about the school closing when we've only had a sprinkle?

Ok it may get heavier....but that's a big MAY isn't it? Am I bu to think they might wait till morning and then decide?

hugoagogo Thu 17-Jan-13 20:57:12

Have you just moved here?

It is normal for heavy snow to cause school closures in this country. (not saying it's right mind you)

apostropheuse Thu 17-Jan-13 20:58:08

Staff may not be able to physically get to school. Also, if the snow is as heavy as currently being predicted then the roads may be very unsafe to drive on. It may be that the Police advise the public not to drive if possible.

I know these are all "maybes" but the school are also saying "if" so they are just being cautious.

Snow sometimes means school closures. It's just a fact of life we have to live with.

FeltOverlooked Thu 17-Jan-13 20:59:47

I know how I will find out if my child's school will close. The school I work in has said nothing to anyone including me!

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 21:02:06

My school is 40 minutes drive away on a good day. It's in an area prone to bad weather. I would not be able to get there in bad snow. I would then report to my local school, and help to keep it open. Other teachers who live near my school would help to keep that school open by doing the same.

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 21:03:53

Our council has a website dedicated to severe weather information for schools and a Twitter feed. Our local radio station broadcasts the same information.

Veritate Thu 17-Jan-13 21:05:09

Euphemia, schools don't just take on people who turn up claiming to be teachers who can't get to the school where they're employed. There are massive child protection issues, apart from anything else. Nor would they open speculatively in the hope that said teachers might turn up.

MrsEricBana Thu 17-Jan-13 21:05:26

We had an email an hour ago saying the school will be shut tomorrow (Somerset) despite not one flake having fallen yet, owing to the forecast. I am quite shocked although at least people know where they stand I suppose.

bigbluebus Thu 17-Jan-13 21:06:47

DS's Secondary school also sent out a text to that effect at 9.00 this morning. It is merely reminding people to tune in to local radio in the morning or log on to the LA website and check the school closure announcements.
DDs SEN school has already made the decision to close and sent letters home in school bags tonight. She will not be going in tomorrow even if the sun is cracking the flags! (and that has happened once before).
In spite of DDs school saying that they have consulted with the powers that be, the LA's snowline webpage which lists school closures has not been updated to reflect the fact that the school is closed!!!

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 21:06:58

I don't know about where you live, Veritate, but that's the system here. We have staff cards to prove who we are.

lougle Thu 17-Jan-13 21:07:18

It's completely standard.

DD1's special school sent a text message on Tuesday to warn us that they may have to call us on Friday to collect our children. Her bus driver will text me at 7.30am if he isn't going to collect her (the school is on a hill in a rural area).

DD2's school have decided on a complicated regime:

10am start, no hot lunches, update by 9.15 if school will be closed completely, parents may pick up early if snow worsens in the day.

We have been told this afternoon that the DCs' school will be open from 9 till 11 only. We have heavy snow forecast from 8 till 12 confused

piratecat Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:04

many teachers will be unable to get to schools tomorrow, dangerous and there won't be enough cover for all kids.

StillSmilingAfterAllTheseYears Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:12

It's to stop half the school ringing them ask, or to ask how you'll let them know, and also so no-one goes nuclear tomorrow if they have to keep the kids off. It's standard 'expectation management' technique - the more warning you give that something annoying is going to happen, the less ragey the affected people feel if it does.

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:33

Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant if my school was closed but my local one was open. Also sometimes schools are closed to pupils but staff have to go in.

bedmonster Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:37

It's for the reason a previous poster pointed out. There needs to be enough teaching staff present in school in line with ratio regulations for a school to be open. They won't know until the morning how many teachers will be able to make it into school.
Children should be fine in theory as most will be in catchment area, therefore, technically in walking distance.
Your school are just warning you that you will find out by text in the morning.
But as Euphemia has pointed out, teachers in our local area are supposed to walk to their nearest school and teach there for the day in the case of school. Not sure if this has ever happened, but my SIL and my Db are teachers and have told me this is what they are meant to do.
YABU.

OP, the reasons the school might be closed are if the teachers cannot get to school as the conditions of the roads are dangerous/train delays/other public transport and if the pupils cannot get safely to and from the building.
We had a text saying the heavy snow is predicted at 1pm so there is a possibility the school may finish early in order for everyone to get home safely. This is quite important as my DCs take the train to school and a few flakes of snow render national rail defunct.
I wil be at work, DH will be at work and I do not want them stuck in a place that is, whilst only a 13 minute train journey, a 4 bus journey if no trains.

HecateWhoopass Thu 17-Jan-13 21:11:28

Possibly so that people don't get up tomorrow, open the curtains, see snow and go back to bed.

By telling everyone now that they will make contact IF the school is closed - people won't assume anything.

gordyslovesheep Thu 17-Jan-13 21:13:55

Mrs Mushroom why don't you checked out the severe weather warnings for a vast majority of the UK and also the warnings about driving tomorrow

the news has covered it quiet a bit

it's on at 10pm

it might help explain it

gordyslovesheep Thu 17-Jan-13 21:14:17

or you can watch it live on News 24

Catsnotrats Thu 17-Jan-13 21:16:24

I've always wondered how the 'report to your nearest school' would actually work in London. I live in a different borough to my school so I can't report to them as they are not my employer. There could be some sort of cross-borough cooperation scheme I suppose, but I imagine it would be a nightmare to organise.

In fact I have to drive through 2 other boroughs to get to my school, and the nearest school is actually only about 200m closer to my house than my actual school, so it would be a pretty pointless exercise reporting there!

Oh and op YABU.

PatTheHammer Thu 17-Jan-13 21:18:45

Euphemia- This is written in our LA that this is what teachers should do but in reality most teachers 'staff cards' are just an ID card produced by the school office. Nothing official about them, easily faked and absolutely nothing about them to say whether that staff member is fully qualified, has an up to date CRB check etc. True that we all have a contract and a DFES number, but the chances of most teachers having that to hand are slim and would make work for the school you turned up at if they had to check it all out.

I think most teachers in the county I work in know that its one of those things that nobody does, we all just stay at home if too dangerous/school closed and get on with marking/planning/looking after our own children as their schools are probably closed.

bedmonster Thu 17-Jan-13 21:19:48

I agree it would be a nightmare cats, neither my dbro or sil have done it before, although they both say it's what they're supposed to do.

Hulababy Thu 17-Jan-13 21:20:18

Had LEA policy for adverse weather this week. No mention of teachers going to local schools if they are unable to get to their own. No specific ID cards here either. In Sheffield.

If we are unable to get in it is at the school's discretion as to whether staff are paid or not. If school does close then staff are paid regardless, though schools may be asked to open an additional day later in the year - though never had that happen to me as yet.

I'll tell you all another reason wink

It's because schools sign up to these mass-text services for a year and as part of the package, the school gets like a thousand more free texts than they actually need. And then there will be someone on the SMT who is techno-happy and wants to use every available bit of technology in every single case, whether appropriate or not.

True.

Ah. That explains why the school feels the need to text me at least twice a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now