To think Children in Year 4 and Year 5 should not have a Teacher in class only four days a week?

(59 Posts)
Arachnophobe Wed 16-Jan-13 22:46:50

Is it reasonable that TA's should have to cover every Friday on a permanent basis?
Due to DS1s Teachers working four days a week it happened in year 4 and is happening again now in Year 5.
Disclaimer: I am not dissing TA's abilities in any way but shouldn't class sizes of 29 should have Teacher and TA and therefore shouldn't the school also arrange a supply Teacher for Fridays?
Friday is partially taken up with P.E and Assembly but I have written (nicely of course) to Head to find out what the situation actually is and what will happen in Year Six.
Am I being precious/over-the-top?

kim147 Thu 17-Jan-13 18:49:27

Some schools employ PPA teachers who are properly paid teachers who plan,mark and assess the lessons so the class teacher does not have to do anything. The class is being taught by a qualified teacher.

TAs do a great job and are woefully underpaid.

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 18:55:50

mrsstewpot Renfrewshire Council tried it a couple of years ago and there was a public outcry, which I was proud to be part of as a teacher and a parent.

There was such a stooshie that I don't see any council trying the same in the foreseeable future.

mrsstewpot Thu 17-Jan-13 19:10:02

Thanks for that Euphemia. My Mum is a secondary teacher with Renfrewshire Council so don't know how I missed that one! She certainly has some horror stories!

Euphemia Thu 17-Jan-13 19:22:45

I am very happy to be living and working in Angus now. grin

storynanny Thu 17-Jan-13 19:41:29

So, back to your original AIBU, I don't think you are being unreasonable if we lived in an ideal world. With my teacher hat on or my mum hat on I would want to know why/how etc.

SneezySnatcher Thu 17-Jan-13 19:58:12

I'm a 'floating' teacher at my school (there are two of us). I used to have my own class in the same school (been there seven years) but, since having DD, I now do PPA cover every afternoon and don't work in the morning.

I have the same classes every week (some for the third year in a row and one was 'my' class when I was F/T)). I think this would be the best situation for all schools, with HLTAs as stand-ins on occasion. HLTAs are usually fantastic, but they are not paid enough to teach regularly IMO.

Unfortunately, it is extremely expensive to employ qualified teachers to cover PPA. My contract is 0.48 of a full-time teachers yet I earn more than a full-time TA and not much less than an HLTA.

Arachnophobe Sun 20-Jan-13 08:31:58

Thanks. The timetable has been changed and P.E no longer on Friday. Will keep monitoring how things are going and do my bit.

AThingInYourLife Sun 20-Jan-13 08:48:34

If TAs, or other people not qualified as teachers, are to be used in a teacher's role, them they should be paid a teacher's rate.

Schools should not be allowed to save money by not providing children with the education they exist to provide.

If the TA can do the job - great, pay them the going rate.

If they're not worth that then don't use them to cover classes.

Arachnophobe Sun 20-Jan-13 10:45:15

My main concern was there only being one LSA instead of there being an LSA & Teacher but there are two LSA's at the moment so that is much better. I hope that they do get paid accordingly and I also don't moan when Teachers strike for good reason but that's another story...
Last Friday, one LSA took half the class (15) in PSHE/Circle Time and Another LSA took half for ICT then they swapped. After break they had Mandarin with a Chinese Teacher (this is new) until Lunch. After lunch there were two LSA's and it varies week to week - He can't remember what they did in the afternoon until assembly but said sometimes R.E or silent reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now