To wonder why nursery can't say 'poo'?

(83 Posts)

They say 'bowel movement', which is of course a more technically correct name, but come on, just say poo! We're talking about small kids here, not grown-ups unlike me grin

My Mum's family all say tail instead of willy or whatever. They are all from Derbyshire. I've just asked my Dad, who's from Norfolk what his family called them and he very primly said they called them their privates. hmm

Well, we've just ended up using a mix of words. Nunu (sp?) was the polite Zulu slang I was taught when I was little, and that was for boys and girls, so that is what DD calls it. However, she does 'poefies' in her nappies (Afrikaans for, yes, poos) and calls farts 'poepies'. Heavens knows what she'll end up calling them here in England.

One of the Afrik options for 'willy' is apparently 'totterman', which I think is so utterly hilarious DS will probably learn that one from me... I have also heard it being called a 'slurpie', which is a little [elephant] trunk.

CaptainNancy Wed 16-Jan-13 21:06:41

I've never heard the 'tails' thing before- very odd!

I realised my 7yo didn't know what 'willy' meant the other day, when she read out a joke, but didn't get it... we use penis and vulva for their body parts.

Tanith Wed 16-Jan-13 20:55:33

Tubbs (The League of Gentlemen) used to say Tails and No-Tails for men and women.

insancerre Wed 16-Jan-13 20:22:33

carabos I lived on wearside for several years and heard it a lot there.
I had never heard it before or since apart from one lady who was from the NE and I have lived in Norfolk, Bucks, North Yorks, County Durham and Lancs.
I just assumed it was a NE thing

carabos Wed 16-Jan-13 20:10:00

insancerre I'm from Newcastle and hasn't heard the word "tail" used for penis until about 10 years ago, and only from one person, in Yorkshire. I've never heard anyone else use it before or since (thankfully grin).

ClippedPhoenix Wed 16-Jan-13 20:03:37

I say your child did a right stinker today grin

Kirk1 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:01:47

I don't think "tail" for penis is exclusively north west, it's what my Father used, and he's born, bred and likely to die Bristolian. I tend to say poo, and willy although I'm now very tempted to introduce "peanut and tentacles" to the family grin

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 16-Jan-13 19:51:41

Now all we really need is for one of the children to say in that lovely loud clear voice they use.....

"Fuck sake its shit not a fucking BM you cunt"

I know it of course wouldn't be funny but still ok I admit it as long as it wasn't my child it would be funny

grin at 'dump'

milkwagon Wed 16-Jan-13 19:36:57

Oh for goodness sake! hmm

How about 'dump'? 'My DD had a dump', 'mummy, I need to have a dump', no?

insancerre Wed 16-Jan-13 19:19:30

oh and tail for penis is a north east thing isn't it?

insancerre Wed 16-Jan-13 19:18:50

I have worked in many nurseries and most of them write s for soiled for a poo in diaries etc but use poo when talking
one nursery used to write 'dirty' for a poo which I found very odd- it's not dirty to have a poo is it?
where I am now they write p for poo on the chart but I have found myself writing s for soiled as I have been conditioned to do it that way

thegreylady Wed 16-Jan-13 19:12:13

My dh tells me his dc [my steps] were brought up to say "turdy"!!!!!

Likewise, my grandmother (who was quite formal and the epitome of decorum) would say "the dog's shat all over the floor". I think it might be a country thing, as she grew up on a farm.

confusteling Wed 16-Jan-13 18:39:52

My family have always said it's perfectly acceptable to say "shit" as long as you use it in the right context. My 80+ year old gt gt aunt refers to it that way. Although generally they use it more in the context of animals - I don't think my gt gt aunt has ever discussed using the loo with me!

My GP quite happily uses the term "shite" as opposed to poo or anything.

I think it might be a Scottish thing!

Clawdy Wed 16-Jan-13 18:25:08

When I started teaching years ago,quite a few children called it "doo-doo". When I had first ds,my next-door neighbour said she hated the word "poo" and her two toddlers were taught to say they'd "done a mo" (short for motion)!! smile

starfishmummy Wed 16-Jan-13 17:36:53

Surely "bowel movement" is the actual "doing", so moving your bowels is the physical act of having a shit. The product of this is shit/poo/crap etc - although I have often heard medical professionals refer to it as a "stool".

MsPickle Wed 16-Jan-13 17:35:48

Undercover Boss USA (I only watch the finest daytime tv when breastfeeding smile) I was introduced to an "AFR" in a water slide complex.

I was baffled until they revealed it was an "accidental faecal release". Also known as a poo in the pool.

Nursery potty training notes of the future?

N0tinmylife Wed 16-Jan-13 17:34:50

When DS was in pre school they used to call dog poo, doggy do, there was always a lot of it on the pavement that needed avoiding when they were out for a walk. It used to drive me up the wall!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 16-Jan-13 17:32:52

Is your child going to my child's nursery, OP? grin

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 16-Jan-13 17:28:34

I have 30 stools in my lab!

porridgewithalmondmilk Wed 16-Jan-13 17:27:35

Stools?

The doctor in the NHS ad for bowel cancer awareness says poo.

Eskino Wed 16-Jan-13 17:10:56

The pursed lip brigade who I occasionally have to work with would balk even at "bowel movement".

They like to say, "Bee-Emm" in hushed tones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now