Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why nursery can't say 'poo'?

(83 Posts)

They say 'bowel movement', which is of course a more technically correct name, but come on, just say poo! We're talking about small kids here, not grown-ups unlike me grin

Kirk1 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:01:47

I don't think "tail" for penis is exclusively north west, it's what my Father used, and he's born, bred and likely to die Bristolian. I tend to say poo, and willy although I'm now very tempted to introduce "peanut and tentacles" to the family grin

ClippedPhoenix Wed 16-Jan-13 20:03:37

I say your child did a right stinker today grin

carabos Wed 16-Jan-13 20:10:00

insancerre I'm from Newcastle and hasn't heard the word "tail" used for penis until about 10 years ago, and only from one person, in Yorkshire. I've never heard anyone else use it before or since (thankfully grin).

insancerre Wed 16-Jan-13 20:22:33

carabos I lived on wearside for several years and heard it a lot there.
I had never heard it before or since apart from one lady who was from the NE and I have lived in Norfolk, Bucks, North Yorks, County Durham and Lancs.
I just assumed it was a NE thing

Tanith Wed 16-Jan-13 20:55:33

Tubbs (The League of Gentlemen) used to say Tails and No-Tails for men and women.

CaptainNancy Wed 16-Jan-13 21:06:41

I've never heard the 'tails' thing before- very odd!

I realised my 7yo didn't know what 'willy' meant the other day, when she read out a joke, but didn't get it... we use penis and vulva for their body parts.

Well, we've just ended up using a mix of words. Nunu (sp?) was the polite Zulu slang I was taught when I was little, and that was for boys and girls, so that is what DD calls it. However, she does 'poefies' in her nappies (Afrikaans for, yes, poos) and calls farts 'poepies'. Heavens knows what she'll end up calling them here in England.

One of the Afrik options for 'willy' is apparently 'totterman', which I think is so utterly hilarious DS will probably learn that one from me... I have also heard it being called a 'slurpie', which is a little [elephant] trunk.

My Mum's family all say tail instead of willy or whatever. They are all from Derbyshire. I've just asked my Dad, who's from Norfolk what his family called them and he very primly said they called them their privates. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now