To have picked my 4 year old up 15 minutes early from school?

(126 Posts)
Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:02:56

I live in the north east, it is extremely snowy today. At lunch time there was abut 4 inches and road completely covered and it was snowing heavily. I live at the top of a large hill at quite high altitude, school is at bottom approx 1 mile away. It is also about -1 today. I do not have a 4x4

I rang the school to ask if I could pick DS up 15 minutes early as I could not get my car out, it was stuck in the snow. Friend who has a 4x4 offered to take me and 2 yr old DD to school to pick up DS. it had to be slightly early as she then had to pick her own child up from a different school.
Receptionist in the phone was fairly rude but agreed I could pick up early.
So I arrive at school with DD and receptionist was v rude to me. Kept going on about how the head was EXTREMELY unhappy with this. I asked what I should have done. Apparently I should have walked with a small toddler. In 4 inches of snow! She told me off like I was a child.
The hilarious thing is that when I got to reception classroom, they were watching telly!
DS has excellent attendance and is doing very well at school. AIBU? I didn't think so...but she was so rude!

gobbin Mon 14-Jan-13 23:27:09

Keep a sledge in your garage/shed/loft/wherever peeps! Usefully useful things, esp for snow fun!

Distinct lack of true British grit on this thread... clearly all been used on the roads lol!

Yfronts Mon 14-Jan-13 22:40:38

I think you should write to the school and explain how rude you found the receptionist

Yfronts Mon 14-Jan-13 22:39:03

YANBU. My school would have been much more receptive and supportive in such a situation. In our school they ring the parents if there is snow - we live ruraly and it's very easy to get stranded/stuck. The school will always have to close as it's pupils/staff live up to 5 miles away.

My own 25 month old couldn't walk 2 miles in 4 inch snow. As a matter of fact it would take about 1.5 hours to walk to miles on a sunny day!

dayshiftdoris Mon 14-Jan-13 22:35:06

I picked up early... the roads were bloody awful my end of town as they hadn't been gritted - school were a bit hmm and I understood why because their end of town was better and the roads clear...

However I was sliding all over the place on the main roads near me - no wonder as I saw the gritter on my way to collecting my son... these roads are often not gritted as the flow of traffic keeps them clear but that failed today.

Felt terrible actually.... until I slid into my side road off the main road then figured that I had made the right decision.

Friend with 4x4 helping me tomorrow smile

We live 3 miles from school so a walk is not out of the question though i need to warn my son in advance - which I have now

LiegeAndLief Mon 14-Jan-13 22:23:52

Ha ha am loving all these posters who are incredulous that your 2yo couldn't manage a simple little two mile walk up and down a very steep hill in 4 inches of snow. Honestly, what kind of lazy incapable child have you bred? grin

We had a lot of heavy snow here when ds was 3.5. We don't live on a hill. I wasn't taking the car out much because of the snow so we walked a lot and he fell over constantly. Literally every few steps. I mostly had him on the buggy board, which meant ploughing through the snow as the wheels wouldn't turn. Clearly he is some sort of physical mutant, or maybe I should have taken him to Lapland as a toddler and taken him out hiking to get him used to the snow.

OP, YANBU. Possibly receptionist on a power trip, or had got a bollocking from the head over it so was passing it on to you.

Jengnr Mon 14-Jan-13 22:19:34

Not at all. You ought to complain about the receptionist's behaviour as well.

Whether she agrees with decisions made or not she has no right to be rude to you and if the head has strong feelings about the subject they ought to discuss it with you themselves. Also politely.

TheFallenNinja Mon 14-Jan-13 21:58:23

School receptionists, like Doctors receptionists should simply be ignored. If the head wasn't happy, the head should have said no.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 14-Jan-13 21:57:21

Have to say as well that I am asthmatic.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 14-Jan-13 21:56:26

YANBU. Sil had a text from school today saying parents were welcome to collect early as weather conditions were getting worse Snd pavements were treacherous. Sil walks but has a back condition

I rember at 6th form keeping my eye in travel reports with regards to if they took the buses off S I much preferred a 1 mile walk to my mums workplace than a 3 mile walk home.

It's about assessing the conditions. Much better to collect early than for a child to he stranded at school.

Idocrazythings Mon 14-Jan-13 21:48:06

Phew; I feel relieved by reading your post marq I was starting to think maybe I have a bad work ethic…

marquesas Mon 14-Jan-13 21:33:58

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a parallel universe to posters on here - would you all really have turned down the friend's offer of a lift? There aren't any prizes for making your life hard you know, who would drag a small child up and own a snowy hill when a lift was on offer. I think I can categorically say that I don't know an actual real person who would have walked.

Most of you are bonkers, OP - YANBU grin

Idocrazythings Mon 14-Jan-13 21:13:38

I think YANBU. She's four!! School is not even compulsory yet!

SeeBoobies Mon 14-Jan-13 20:43:22

Good grief - to all those saying it's just a bit of snow, only a mile, get on with it - have you all missed the bit about it being a steep hill? Do you truly think a two year old could make it? I presume you've all seen this hill because you all sound very well informed.

charlottehere Mon 14-Jan-13 20:16:57

YANBU I have done similar myself. Personally I wouldnt ask if it was ok but tell them what you are doing.

Seriously... It's just a bit of snow. If everyone did what you did, especially if we were to end up with 10 weeks of snow/ice again this winter, it would be beyond disruptive. Life goes on when there's a wee bit of snow. I just don't get why so many places grind to a halt with a few inches of snow. Grow up in the north of Scotland, or parts of mainland Europe, and you just get on with it, I'm afraid...

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 14-Jan-13 20:14:34

Yanbu our school shut at 2 (east yorks) the difference in roads on way there and back was amazing, my car really struggled to get back up a hill. Thank god they shut early!

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Mon 14-Jan-13 20:10:48

ok I take back the sledge thing and acknowledge it is my American not English side coming out. It still sounds wrong and rankles but it is me not you.

Squeakygate Mon 14-Jan-13 20:10:29

The obvious answer to me, would have been, accept lift from friend to school. Take appropriate things for ds and a change for 2year od to change into.
Wait for school to finish & have leisurely fun walk back in snow.
Ive done the exact thing with a baby in sling. Yes it was hilly, steep and coldish but dc1 & 2 talk about it now. Dc were 4,2 & a baby.
But seriously, 15 mins isnt going to matter. Sounds like the receptionist having a sound off at you.

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Mon 14-Jan-13 20:07:08

sled, sled, not sledge.

ARGH.

sorry, needed to get that out.

I extended slung my kid, first a regular sling and then a back carry one, if you can give your kid a piggy back then you can sling, just need the right one! In fact if you can piggy back then slinging is easier if you get it right.

That said, there is no way I'd sling an older (heavier) child in slippery weather. Asking for both of you to take a tumble.

I'm not sure why though even if she could walk she should. She had a safe way to school and home, environmentally pretty friendly as they were car pooling and all the !!4!! year old would miss would be 15 minutes of TV for goodness sake!

newNN Mon 14-Jan-13 20:02:11

I think you should have told the receptionist to wind her neck in. You should not accept being told off like a naughty child. In the end, this really has very little to do with the receptionist and if she cannot manage to be polite to the parents, then she is failing in a crucial aspect of her job.

If the head is not happy, then perhaps he/she should get their arse out of the office and speak to you directly - it really isn't the place of the receptionist to lecture you.

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Mon 14-Jan-13 19:58:37

They use chains on light snow here if they think it is warranted. Often you just have to carry them in case it gets worse.

Hemlet Mon 14-Jan-13 19:54:54

YANBU.
I'm amazed how many posters think they know the circumstances surrounding your area and the snow better than you do. Unless they're your next door neighbours I think it's remarkably daft to tell you to 'get a grip' and 'it's only a mile'.

iwantanafternoonnap Mon 14-Jan-13 19:53:44

Next time just ask the Head Teacher to come and have a word with you directly and that you are not going to be spoken to like that by someone (receptionist) who has no say whatsoever in your childs education.

YWNBU the receptionist however was.

indith the hill near my mums is extremely difficult to walk up in snow and ice and so I dont agree that it shouldn't be an issue.

JustAHolyFool Mon 14-Jan-13 19:52:37

YABU

I grew up in NE Scotland, we had way more snow than this at least twice a year and we were never picked up early, nor was anyone else.

EssieW Mon 14-Jan-13 19:51:56

YABU. What are you going to do another time when your neighbour can't help you? A mile is not that far. Do you usually drive?

I have a 3 year old who managed precisely that level of walk today in similar snow conditions. She would have managed it at 2 as well. She had already walked twice today already.

You do need a sledge if you think walking is out of hte question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now