to be a bit uneasy at the concept of new E4 show "my mad fat diary?"

(65 Posts)

If the trailers are anything to go by, its about a 16 year old who is FAT and feels she doesnt fit in or isnt normal. Oh and did I mention shes FAT.

WTAF has being fat got to do with it. Plenty of people feel like they dont fit in. Especially teenagers. And since when is being fat "mad"?

I really do not understand what message they are trying to put across. And yes I probably should watch it before I comment, but the trailers are making me cross. Since when is it ok to promote that fat people should try to be more normal?

And I hate the word FAT. AIBU? Or do other people feel the same?

PimpMyHippo Sun 13-Jan-13 17:00:54

I'm quite interested to see this programme just because I was a diary-writing overweight 16 year old with a mental illness living in Lincolnshire! When I first saw the trailer I actually wondered if someone had found my old diaries... So I'm interested because it's the first programme I've seen where the main character has so much in common with me. I'm going to have a look on Amazon now for the book. smile

JakeBullet Sun 13-Jan-13 16:46:29

Have tweeted the actress playing the part of Rae.....told her this thread is here.....she is too scared to look grin.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 13-Jan-13 14:00:57

I don't think you're being unreasonable to be uncomfortable with what you are seeing in the trailers. I am, too. I can see how it might be a good show that is great for teen girls to view. But the way it is presented makes me go hmm.

The trailers seem to be "LOOKIT THE BIG FAT WEIRD GIRL TRYING TO BE NORMAL WITH HER PRETTY FRIENDS!!"

I hope that the show, itself, is very different because what people are saying about the actual person and her diaries sounds like it has the potential to be good for girls.

volvocowgirl Sun 13-Jan-13 13:48:47

There must be a few different trailers for this show as I've seen two different ones but both of those mentioned the mental health stuff confused

JakeBullet Sun 13-Jan-13 13:25:41

A sure it will be fabulous, not read the book but now want to based upon what I have read here.

foslady Sun 13-Jan-13 11:20:52

Another vote for read the book - couldn't put it down and could identify with a lot of the angst as I was another kid that didn't fit the 'cool' criteria. If the programme's been done well then it should be great, showing the cool/uncool crap that you grow up with for what it really is

JakeBullet Sun 13-Jan-13 09:12:04

Remember too that trailers are meant to be provocative. They want to draw people in......and look at this, we are all discussing it here smile . It might bear no relation to how the story line pans out.

Samnella Sun 13-Jan-13 08:47:49

Hmmmmm. I must admit I didn't like the feel of the trailer but figured it wasn't meant for me. I found this about it and it looks as though the impression the ad gives isn't what the programme is about. Doesn't look to me as though the girl is the victim but we will see. I shall withhold my judgey pants until I see it.

For those who say the character is not overweight. She is .She's meant to be 16 stone , she may well be less in real life but she is overweight. It wouldn't really work if she wasn't given the title. Someone said we are conditioned in seeing thin people on TV but we have also normalised being overweight. But that's another argument.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sun 13-Jan-13 08:42:59

anita, its called " my mad fat teenage diary" by rae earl. I lent it to my best schoolchum, it got passed around all our friends, how we laughed! It was her real diary, btw.

JakeBullet Sun 13-Jan-13 08:39:38

The actress is Sharon Rooney, she was in Harry Hill's "I wanna Baby" video which is why she might look familiar.

meditrina Sun 13-Jan-13 08:33:44

The ad uses the terms hospital and madhouse, and it seems the programme's scenario is the return of a teen to ordinary provincial teen society after release discharge from hospital.

Probably more important from the pov of the MH issues; though it's clearly not going to be a serious examination of ishoos.

AnitaManeater Sun 13-Jan-13 08:31:46

What is the name of the book? Sounds good. Would also love to revisit my madchester days!

cozietoesie Sun 13-Jan-13 08:24:54

Oh the programmes are going to get a lot more on the edges yet. They're running out of ideas for things.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sun 13-Jan-13 07:29:18

I have a bigger issue with the fact that the book was set in the era of baggy, madchester, early festies and aciiiiid raves, and theyve moved it forward to the oasis era. Cop out. Was looking forward to remiscing my early teenage years!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 13-Jan-13 06:52:24

Firstly you are missing out totally that fact she's been in hospital hence the mad bit, she's a larger girl hence the fat.

My impression is she comes out tries to adjust and finds some friends and they have some adventures.

What you are completely missing is that you are not the target audience. I actually have high hopes for this one. How often is the 'fat' one or the 'mad' one the main character? It's diary based so totally from her perspective. Tbh I think you are judging this one by its cover as it were. There are plenty of trailers that I thought have looked crap and ended up enjoying when I've eventually watched them (and crap when they looked good)

Is beautiful rather. Dont know what went on there.

I hated the concept ot Ugly Betty too. America Fererra is vvere ugly.

Loveweekends10 Sun 13-Jan-13 04:56:42

And ugly Betty was....

thatisall Sun 13-Jan-13 02:45:29

She's a Glaswegian stand up comic

cheddarcheeselover Sun 13-Jan-13 02:42:42

or maybe she's mad and fat but it doesn't matter, she's still awesome!
who knows, we'll have to watch and find out grin

Booyhoo Sun 13-Jan-13 02:42:34

i recognise the girl but i cant think what i've seen her in. does anyone know what else she has acted in?

TinyDancingHoofer Sun 13-Jan-13 02:35:51

Isn't the point that she isn't mad or fat? But that is how a lot of young girls see themselves.

thatisall Sun 13-Jan-13 02:31:57

Trust me the hurl who plays the main character is a strong woman who would make a great role model for teens everywhere, regardless of her weight.
The tale is one of a girl who struggles through her teens and spends time in an institution. I believe the 'fat' situation is something she feels upon often, this being part of the title.
Perhaps people should watch a show before they deem it distasteful no? Or are we just banning the word fat or the right to use ones weight as a form of comedy? It's been down for years!!

They have released trailers with, presumably, the message they want to put out. So I will judge them.

And like I said before, a person shouldnt have to know the programme is a true story in order to understand the trailers.

Booyhoo Sun 13-Jan-13 02:10:51

i think it's ok to judge the trailers as we have seen those. the trailers dont give me much hope for the show. but as i said, i intend to watch it. but yes, the trailers i judge as shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now