AIBU to think the portrait of KM, DoC, is really unflattering and a bit creepy?

(237 Posts)
NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Fri 11-Jan-13 10:50:46
OxfordToLondoner Mon 14-Jan-13 11:02:57

She looks like I feel at 11 weeks pregnant. Grey, knackered and smiling through clenched teeth.

FaxMactor Mon 14-Jan-13 11:00:03

I think it's lovely...in fact, even though I'm not that way inclined...I would.

she looks like a 50 year old who has aged gracefully.
Maybe it was meant to give her gravitas?

pudtat Mon 14-Jan-13 07:25:17

I think the artist was aiming for a bit Mona Lisa with the smile, something which holds something back and doesn't stick it all on show like every pap shot in the world. She looks like she is struggling to remain more serious than she feels, which is quite nice really. And I think it draws you to her eyes, which the artist says were his key inspiration. I rather like it. I suspect it might tell you more about her than the rest of the pics in the article.

hardboiled Sun 13-Jan-13 23:13:32

Awful. But I like the tradition of painting royals in a grotesque light, like Goya. The artist must be a republican at heart.grin

ZZZenAgain Sun 13-Jan-13 21:07:41

I find my eye always travels to the eye on the right, which is to say her left eye. I don't know why really but the look from that eye is not a positive one. It is a bit gloomy from the colours and that artificial coppery hair framing her face just generally isn't her as I perceive her. I find her brighter than that.

She will soon be a mother and I think that will be a good point in time to mark the change with a new portrait perhaps with richer colours, perhaps a rich red altogether a bit stronger - or on the other hand with much lighter colours, maybe even white clothes with an interesting texture to them and her true hair colour which would I think bring her out better . I think she could dare to have something a bit more glamourous done

Sleepysand Sun 13-Jan-13 20:50:00

She's 31. She looks like she might have looked if she had a drink problem, in my opinion. Bloated and puffy. Whatever you think of the monarchy, there is no denying she is a really beautiful young woman, and this pic is the kind of thing you would stick on your biscuit tin if you were on a diet.

PimpMyHippo Sun 13-Jan-13 17:43:09

I actually really like her expression, I think she looks sort of wry and wise. Not keen on the soft edges or dark background, and I do think the nose looks a bit odd, but I don't think it's terrible or unflattering.

andtheycalleditbunnylove Sun 13-Jan-13 17:15:55

is she thirty? he is. he's a week younger than my daughter.

andtheycalleditbunnylove Sun 13-Jan-13 17:15:18

yes, you are being unreasonable. that's what she looks like. old and a bit lived-in. she's thirty. she might not have been around but she's not in the first flush of youth.
i like it. it tells the truth.

ironman Sun 13-Jan-13 17:07:54

Dreadful. Makes her look 10 years older!!

luvfizz Sun 13-Jan-13 16:47:41

It's horrible!

midastouch Sun 13-Jan-13 16:13:28

She looks so much older in it. Very unflattering!

Yes, does make me want to pop along to the National Portrait Gallery for a wee peek at it too dobby - hope you enjoy your visit tomorrow - I wonder how busy they are ? smile

houseelfdobby Sun 13-Jan-13 14:44:50

I'll go out on a limb here and say I love it. She is a very beautiful woman and the painting captures that reality. Perhaps we are all so used to airbrushed photoshopped photographs that we have forgotten what real people look like? No, the artist hasn't gone for the Barbie doll look with no character, but for something with much more life. I think he captures an intelligence and humour in the expression which a wide grin would lose. I shall go and see it tomorrow and report back again grin. The eyes look stunning.

DrawMeADream Sun 13-Jan-13 13:32:26

It IS very unflattering, but actually I quite like it. It's a bit different from the traditional idea of a wide smiling portrait. I'm not really a Kate fan at all, but quite like her choice here. The expression is one I often see in candid photos of her, and is a bit more 'held back' than a big smile. Seems like a more private look to me rather than her usual public mask.

RedPencils Sun 13-Jan-13 13:19:48

I used to work with someone who had her hair washed and blown every other day on her way to work. She used to say she has only ever washed her own hair twice in 20 years. <living the dream>

Foggles Sun 13-Jan-13 13:08:08

I would hire someone to do my hair & make up before I woke up.

<taking shallow to new depths>

Bakingnovice Sun 13-Jan-13 13:07:46

She's pretty but not beautiful. And I do think she looks older than her years. As does get mother. If she changed hairstyle and updated her wardrobe and got rid of that dreadful eye liner I think she'd look much better.

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:04:08

I do really love her hair though <shallow>
but could never be arsed to have it professionally blow-dried every single day, even if I was married to the future King

JustAHolyFool Sun 13-Jan-13 12:10:12

Let's face it, it's all a bit this

shitmagnet Sun 13-Jan-13 12:05:29

when i first saw it i thought it was supposed to be one of those criminal artist "what she will be like in 20 years". it looks like a morph of her and the queen

Nettyporthole Sun 13-Jan-13 10:52:02

I thought she looked like she was going "Hmmmm", which she probably was when she saw the picture. It looks like one of those 1970's oil paintings which everyone's granny had kicking around then...

RooneyMara Sun 13-Jan-13 08:38:46

inappropriatelyemployed I have to say I think that's a pretty cruel and bitter post.

MarshaBrady Sun 13-Jan-13 08:07:36

I would like to see it. Probably packed.

Mandela is very good. If he had drawn her it could have been like that I imagine. I think he found it more difficult in oil.

I say from that image alone, would like to check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now