To have not expected my 2 year old to have broken his Christmas present yet

(54 Posts)
Peka Wed 09-Jan-13 19:35:46

I am pregnant and hormonal, but got home from work today to find my 2 year old declaring 'i break the bus' very proudly while granny looks on. He has been going through a 'throwing things' phase recently and also has A LOT of toys - most not given to him by me and his dad. But his dad thought really hard and chose his Christmas present himself and it is a lovely wooden toy bus. He threw the bus around in a more than boisterous playing way (which I have witnessed and also received a few toys in the face with recently) and managed to knock the wheel off (it's broken at the joint) and I can't now find the bit to glue it back on as granny mentioned she had hoovered up and it might have gone up the hoover. I am totally GUTTED and might cry. I know this is totally unreasonable, please tell me to get a grip.

Peka Wed 09-Jan-13 20:46:25

They just love them so much and really want to be loved too. Poor granny isn't even his favourite relative but I think she will be when he figures that one out...

RedHelenB Wed 09-Jan-13 20:50:37

Wait till he decides to cut every piece of string of all his toy cranes like my ds did aged 4!

BabsAndTheRu Wed 09-Jan-13 20:52:11

Yeah, it's amazing how quickly they learn who's the soft touch.

McNewPants2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:52:21

Thanks to toy story 3 I felt rather emotional throwing Woody out, got ds a replacement and then I felt guilty at replacing woody.

cakebar Wed 09-Jan-13 20:55:59

Fakebook - it's not usual for kids to break things all the time! If my 5 yo broke one or two things a week they would soon have no stuff and I would not buy them any more and not let them have any gifts either. They could play with loo roll tubes and bits of paper and other rubbish until they got past it!

A 2 yo is different. That this toy broke is a shame. You've got to get him past the throwing, same as I have to get my 2 yo past pushing and others have to get past whatever other annoying things they do at this age.

I hate kids breaking stuff on purpose. I have seen kids sitting ripping up pages in books whilst their parents do nothing. If kids like that come to my house I don't let them upstairs and carefully select what is left downstairs to play with.

bedmonster Wed 09-Jan-13 21:11:35

Fakebook - it's not usual for kids to break things all the time! If my 5 yo broke one or two things a week they would soon have no stuff and I would not buy them any more

Cake I was just going tosay exactly this! I am actually shocked by so many casual attitudes towards kids breaking things. My DC would have punished in an age appropriate way for destroying their belongings. It shows no pride nor appreciation in what they have been given.

OP, I think your reaction to want to cry over a broken toy is extreme but at least you care. Hopefully your DS has picked up that you are very disappointed and will start to get the message soon.

Delatron Wed 09-Jan-13 21:12:23

We bought DS a wooden castle for christmas (DP's choice, I wanted the plastic playmobil one). It cost £100 and it is already broken. That along with the expensive wooden farm he got for his birthday. Plastic tat from now on...!

I agree that a 2 year old breaking things due to overenthusiasm is different to a 5 year old playing roughly with no care for their toys. I've had other children in my house who fell into both camps (who have broken my DS's toys angry ) I can be sympathetic to a toddler doing it but at 5 I'd be wondering why they hadn't been taught to be gentle and appreciate toys andsilently fume.

OP I'm sure your DS will miss his nice new fire engine too and may remember having to say good bye to it next time he is throwing toys about.

Peka Wed 09-Jan-13 21:18:19

DH has arrived home and declares it may be fixable, but is going to be confiscated until DS gets over this phase. He is surprisingly practical and phlegmatic about it. Clearly I am the only tearful pregnant person in this house.

Meglet Wed 09-Jan-13 21:20:55

Mine have broken toys before New Year before.

This is why I love Lego, it can't actually be broken and if you lose one bit the whole toy isn't ruined.

Fakebook Wed 09-Jan-13 21:26:50

Eek. Might get some advice over in behaviour and development then. I thought it was normal. confused.

ladymariner Wed 09-Jan-13 21:38:01

Toys getting damaged accidentally is normal, toys getting broken on purpose is bad behaviour and needs rectifying before they get invited to other children's houses to play and then mysteriously don't get invited back.....sorry x

Fakebook - breaking toys might mean the child has a connection/disconnection schema going on; do they also like snapping breadsicks before eating, magnets, building wooden train tracks, breaking up jigsaws?

schema info

ladymariner Wed 09-Jan-13 21:41:21

That sounded quite harsh, sorry....it just really winds me up when toys get broken through bad behaviour. Ds was always really careful with his toys and he had a friend who was wild....I was the same as the above poster and locked everything other than the truly unbreakable stuff away because otherwise it just got wrecked when this boy came to play. He used to ask where the train sets were.....ha, no bloody chance of him getting his mitts on those!!!

amazingly apposite x post

Fakebook Wed 09-Jan-13 21:43:24

But she doesn't do it on purpose. She takes a lot of care over her things but they either get into the hands of her brother or she leaves them in a "safe place" and they get trodden on. She doesn't break them intentionally and when they do break she is too scared to tell me and cries and apologises immediately. Last time she broke her ring she came to me with it behind her back and started crying saying she's sorry. So I can't exactly punish her when she is remorseful and is sorry. Unless I'm supposed to punish her regardless?

Fakebook start a thread my dear, in B and D, i'll be over with my early years hat on x

McNewPants2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:49:14

Fakebook it doesn't sound like she is doing it on purpose.

Accidents happen, and if she is anything like my dd she is very accident prone she can fall over a hairline crack

Peka Wed 09-Jan-13 21:50:21

Fakebook I was going to say that I break things all the time and my dad did too - we are/were habitual clumsy footlers which is not good news for small things. Perhaps she's just a bit like that? Come to think of it, the apple doesn't fall far from this tree...

Iggly Wed 09-Jan-13 21:53:48

YABU

Dont give 2 year olds any wooden fancy shit toys.

Plastic tat all the way.

Fakebook Wed 09-Jan-13 22:47:28

Sorry for hijacking your thread Peka blush.

I think she is just very accident prone and doesn't take care of her belongings sometimes. Otherwise she is a very pleasant little girl!

Boysarelikedogs, she doesn't break breadsticks, she gnaws at them like a rabbit, doesn't break jigsaws. Not a train track fan but loves magnets. I'm just hoping its a phase... A long phase. She has to grow up and realise what she's doing some time, right? No complaints from school either grin.

Sorry Peka, hope your DH fixes the bus.

Iggly Thu 10-Jan-13 06:52:25

Boys I will start a thread as very interested in your earlier link.

valiumredhead Thu 10-Jan-13 08:42:03

Why are you angry with your child and not the manufacturer's of such a badly made toy? confused If it can't stand up to being lobbed around a bit it's obviously not fit for the job.

Toys get broken.

Twattybollocks Thu 10-Jan-13 09:37:30

Toys get damaged, it's a fact of life, and 2yo kids do throw things. They also do things like writing on walls and hitting other toddlers. Doesn't mean its acceptable behaviour, and that you shouldn't try to correct it. If he likes the sound of banging stuff, get the saucepans and wooden spoon out as a drum kit to play with. If he starts throwing toys, remove them and say "we don't throw toys because then they get broken and we can't play with them anymore"
Broken bus will be an excellent learning point on what happens if you treat your toys badly!

maddening Thu 10-Jan-13 10:17:33

Why didn't granny stop him - with a heavy wooden toy it's not just the danger of breaking the toy but the tv/granny etc too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now