Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel actual physical hatred for a car?

(96 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:12:27

Dh has a car. I hate it, he loves it.

It eats money like no car I've ever seen before.

Over £200 tax
£70-80 to fill the petrol tank.
Repairs over the last year have cost in excess of £2k (probably much more). And that's with dh doing the repairs himself so no labour costs!!!
The damn thing would get £75 from webuyanycar.com. Even the insurance company value it at around £200.

Don't get me started on insurance of over £1k per year (dh is under 25 but has been driving for a few years and we have done everything to bring the premium down... we're almost under £1k... yaay! hmm).

But it's his baby. He has nursed the damn thing almost back to full health yet there are always new problems.

Thing is we can no longer afford this level of investment in a piece of scrap metal.

Yet every small car I mention gets poo-hooed. The engine is too small, it's a girls car, it's a <insert brand here> and everyone knows they have this, that and the other wrong with them.

Do I have permission to murder either him or the car? Or possibly both?

How I wish I could drive! Then it would be my decision!

purpleflower123 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:55:27

We had a Rover 75. DH was only 23 and me 22. I hated the thing. It was horrible to drive and had endless problems. DH did the head gasket on it and it was still crap, it was at least the second time it had been done. The oil poured out almost as fast as we put it in and it guzzled petrol.

DH loved it, I danced with joy when we sold it (for a huge loss)

He read up on them when we started discovering the problems with it. He says diesels are ok but the 1.8l petrols are the worst. Guess what we had.

We've had loads of cars and the rover 75 is the one I will never buy again. It really was terrible but DH looked hilarious being so young and driving a grandad car

SpicyPear Thu 10-Jan-13 16:38:54

My favourite part of this whole thread is that he only counts breaking down when you are going along as breaking down. If you hadn't told us he was an engineer I'd have thought he was a lawyer with that kind of sophistry smile

HappyTurquoise Thu 10-Jan-13 15:19:49

YANBU

watch this

BelaLugosisShed Thu 10-Jan-13 15:15:25

A Rover 75 hmm What is he, 90?

It has never, will never, be a classic car of any description.
You might as well burn £20 notes.

Why is his insurance so high? My DD is 22, drives a 3 year old 1.5 Swift Sport and her insurance is £550, she has 4 years no claims, built up while driving an old fiesta.

depends how big your back garden is...wink

Don't wish for it to become a classic!
I bought a classic car in about erm.... 1994. It has been in the back garden ever since

Dh has decided to 'do it up' as it is the 50th Anniversary of this car this year. He has started to buy parts for it
He is very excited
He already has another of the same but a different model, which he bought for £25 in 1986 and completely restored. It's lovely but always breaks down when I drive it but old and very basic

A Rover 75 is a luxury compared to these cars!

Now there is one big problem with DH's doing up of this car
It is now boxed in by our extension
it will cost probably £1000 to do it up
Knowing what sort of car it is I can't see it being awfully reliable
But maybe that wont matter if we can only ever drive it in the back garden grin

Andro Thu 10-Jan-13 13:54:21

I was going to have some sympathy for the OP's OH - I don't know how much money I've spent restoring my 1965 Harley - but a ROVER 75??? My sympathy to you OP, you'd be hard pressed to find a worse car (a 1990's Lada maybe?)

(My project has never put pressure on finances either)

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 10-Jan-13 13:36:36

A Rover 75? Are you serious?
We had a Maserati Gorgeous which I was totally in love with (but didn't tell him that) and I used to get a real thrill out of looking at it, sitting snugly on our driveway, smiling smugly at passers by. I felt wonderful being chauffeured around in it, it was indescribable. We had to sell it for school fees funding sad but still have the two old Yanks, one of which I loathe with a passion, the other is just meh. One day, it will be back...

stickem you need to introduce your DH to campervans. We have a VW camper, DP can spend hours loveingly looking after it, but a least we get weekends away in it.

And they are rather cool not sad like the rover!

MrsKeithRichards Thu 10-Jan-13 13:09:41

£100 a month on servicing and repairs over the years? That's mental!

<kisses 12 year old astra>

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chris481 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:58

And yes I know an Evoque will cost considerably more than 30K.

chris481 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:52:13

For the sake of balance, I must admit that I have 30K burning a hole in my pocket, so am thinking of selling the 75 and getting an Evoque or a Golf. The heart says Evoque but the head say Golf. The Golf will fit through my garage door and has some technology I want that I can't get on the Evoque, such as active cruise control, a dual-clutch gearbox, an engine that can deactivate some cylinders when power demand is light, engine stop-start etc.

Given that the most I've ever spend on a car is 7K, I'm having some difficulty getting my head around spending 30K on a Golf though.

chris481 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:46:22

It's not just the choice of interior colours that was good. Many cars I've looked at recently, I'm lucky if there's one colour I can live with. The Rover 75 came in several paint colours I like:-

A burgundy red
A light gold colour
British Racing Green
Royal Blue
Wedgewood Blue

Wedgewood blue with a cream/beige interior is one of my favourites, wish I had one of those.

Apart from Range Rover with the Evoque, the only manufacturer offering a decent range of colours nowadays is Audi, but only if you pay a few thousand extra to have a choice of custom colours. And you won't have a choice of several matching interior colour schemes to go with it.

littleladyindoors Thu 10-Jan-13 12:40:37

My dad had a 75- I swear it used to pull into the middle lane of a motorway and then refuse to go in any other lane or over 55. Horrible thing, then he tried to sell it to us hmm it is too early in the day to tell you my response.

My hubby loved his Jag, but man that was a PITA and kept breaking down and costing too much. We now have a lovely lovely corsa that never breaks down, has a lifetime warranty, and he can fit 4 big blokes in it without the power going. He loves it. Actually,when pressed he will say he loves it more than the Jag. Also if you told him it was a girls car, he would not be impressed. And he looked on the top gear website before we bought it too- obviously if Jeremy et al say its ok, then it must be!!

<waves a "ditch the rover" campaign banner>

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 10-Jan-13 12:27:09

chris481 my dh is a little bit in love with you now.

chris481 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:23:53

Some parts are now getting ridiculously expensive, so now is not the time for anyone to buy a 75.

chris481 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:21:11

I have a Rover 75. It's a top-of-the-range luxury model that's beautiful to look at (admittedly in a retro/"old-manish" way) and luxurious inside. It feels very solid, like the body panels are just thicker and heavier than other cars. It's lovely to drive.

Some of the people commenting are a bit ignorant, a Rover 75 is unlike any other Rover, it is the only Rover that was created by BMW when they owned the company.

It's a diesel, which I think means the engine is essentially a BMW. I know the petrol ones can have some issues. My 75 has been reliable in the sense that it has only broken down on the road once in 7 years, when the alternator went. Any other problems have been fixed by a one-off repair. (Repairs only bother me if the same thing keeps breaking. The closest I've come to that is that I've just replaced the damper-pulley for the second time, however I got 50,000 miles out of the first replacement, so I can't complain. Particularly as the AA man did the labour the first time, surely that's beyond the call of duty?)

I have to admit it has been slightly more expensive than expected to own. Last time I checked it had probably cost a hundred a month in servicing and repairs over the years, But that includes doing everything at an (ex) main-dealer, and one automatic gearbox replacement which cost £1500. It's up to nearly 170,000 miles now.

What its cost in repairs its more than save in depreciation. It was twenty-something thousand car that I bought for 7K just after Rover went bust, when it was three years old.

I prefer the look of the original 1999 versions to the 2003 re-vamp. On the top model you could have the leather in several different colours, I have seen one in British racing green with matching green seats, which was really lovely. Similarly I've seen one in dark blue with blue seats. I say a choice of seat colours, but I should say choice of interior colours. The interior plastics and fabrics and lower dashboard and leather steering wheel cover would all be in matching colours. Having been shopping online recently I know that most manufacturers do not offer any "colour" options for the seats, and when they do almost all the plastics and fabrics will be a standard neutral colour. Alfa are particularly bad, red leather looks ridiculous on top of a black/grey plastic base, and they don't even have matching door inserts. The only manufacturer I've come across that approaches the degree of choice and luxury the 75 had is Range Rover on an Evoque. (With german luxury cars you are lucky if you get the option of beige instead of black for the interor.)

PessaryPam Thu 10-Jan-13 11:48:24

Sorry you should LTB as anyone who actually likes a Rover 75 is seriously deranged and probably certifiable or over 90.

Bloody Rover 75s angry

FIL has one that he pours money into and wont get rid even though he has replaced the starter motor twice.

He now parks on a hill to make sure he can get it started hmm

DP wants "the sport version" of his dads car, despite laughing at his dad for driving a piece of shit. He wont be getting one. I will make sure of it.

I dont understand the attraction. They are ugly cars.

I was going to suggest sugar in the petrol tank too. It's got to be better than carrying in like this surely?

Flobbadobs Thu 10-Jan-13 11:16:44

I can give you a 100% guaranteed way to kill it.
Wait till the really cold weather starts, forget to put antifreeze in then try and start the engine after leaving it in the snow over the weekend. It made some very interesting noises then died...

hiddenhome Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:17

You need to get rid if the engine oil wink

ErikNorseman Thu 10-Jan-13 08:47:38

Could you spray it with salt water? Or put sugar in the petrol tank?

FellatioNels0n Thu 10-Jan-13 07:46:35

shock A Rover 75? I am amazed. I was expecting some trendy, funky sought after vintage type thing, like Alfa Romeo or something, not a crappy Rover.

They are cars that were driven by dull couples called Bernard and Mavis, with sandwiches in tupperware and a flask of tea. Checked trilby for Bernard, crash helmet shaped perm for Mavis.

Your DH needs to get a grip. This car is not worth preserving on any level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now