Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel actual physical hatred for a car?

(96 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:12:27

Dh has a car. I hate it, he loves it.

It eats money like no car I've ever seen before.

Over £200 tax
£70-80 to fill the petrol tank.
Repairs over the last year have cost in excess of £2k (probably much more). And that's with dh doing the repairs himself so no labour costs!!!
The damn thing would get £75 from webuyanycar.com. Even the insurance company value it at around £200.

Don't get me started on insurance of over £1k per year (dh is under 25 but has been driving for a few years and we have done everything to bring the premium down... we're almost under £1k... yaay! hmm).

But it's his baby. He has nursed the damn thing almost back to full health yet there are always new problems.

Thing is we can no longer afford this level of investment in a piece of scrap metal.

Yet every small car I mention gets poo-hooed. The engine is too small, it's a girls car, it's a <insert brand here> and everyone knows they have this, that and the other wrong with them.

Do I have permission to murder either him or the car? Or possibly both?

How I wish I could drive! Then it would be my decision!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:56:31

It was his second car, but it was dead when he bought it and he brought it back to life single handedly with the aid of a Haynes manual and the internet. Then it died again... and again... and again <ad infinitum>. So he's very proud of his work (and his massive collection of tools and bits and bobs that he has amassed).

He's not working at the moment, he's studying engineering and being a SAHD so our budget is dramatically reduced. He knows we can't afford it and it will end up sorned on the drive if he doesn't get rid soon but I think he's in shock or denial. However he is actually looking at cars now and not moaning as much so I think he's backing down.

SantasENormaSnob Wed 09-Jan-13 20:00:21

A fucking rover shock

All this over a rover shock

Has the man any self respect?

RambleOn Wed 09-Jan-13 20:01:10

A Rover 75!! It's an old mans car!

RambleOn Wed 09-Jan-13 20:02:11

Does your DP wear a flat cap while driving?!

LegArmpits Wed 09-Jan-13 20:04:28

Ahaha. They're not bad to look at, comfy too, but they do blow up quite regularly. I hated ours too. It even blew up as we drove it to the poor unfortunate sod who bought it off us.

Bogeyface Wed 09-Jan-13 20:07:41

I was expecting a classic, not a nail like that!

I had a Rover 45 for a while and OMFG it was a shit car, and the 75's were worse!

He is a selfish idiot and you need to put your foot down, so that you get an equal amount to spend on yourself for every penny he spends on that heap of shite.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 09-Jan-13 20:08:46

I've been reading him all your comments and his face is like this <sad> because we are being mean about Errol.

He would like to tell you all; In the 40k miles he has done in Errol it has never broken down while on the road. It also has a good heater. And the seats are comfy.

There was more he wanted to say but I can't hear him ranting over my laughter at his face.

He's stomping around in the kitchen now muttering "bloody mumsnet" and something about driving a smaller car being like driving a roller skate.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bureni Wed 09-Jan-13 20:31:50

LOL, ask him why Rover was sold for the sum for 1 quid

Bogeyface Wed 09-Jan-13 20:32:13

Have you reminded him about men who need to drive big cars doing it because they are worried that they have small penises?

And not all small cars are actually that small, Kia do some really nice mid sized cars that will cost a hell of alot less than what you are paying out now.

bureni Wed 09-Jan-13 20:33:50

Errol.... Expensive Rubbish Rover Oil Leak

MrsKeithRichards Wed 09-Jan-13 20:39:16

I'm lol'ing at a man under 25 driving a rover 75!!!!!

Wasn't it marketed as a cheap car for the middle aged middle class man who can't afford a jag?

Who wants to be a millionaire? I don't!

Wasn't that the song in the ad?

BrevilleTron Wed 09-Jan-13 20:42:03

I'm with your husband
I love my 75 my grandad owned it before me and it was my wedding car. It's never let me down and as I no longer have my grandad I'm keeping the car til it dies
You do get good ones.

bureni Wed 09-Jan-13 20:50:59

In a list of the top ten worst British cars ever made a Rover comes in 6th and 7th place.
www.buyyourcar.co.uk/news/article/top-10-worst-britishmade-cars-of-all-time/12818

EuroShagmore Wed 09-Jan-13 20:55:17

It's a grandad's car!

(Just as I was about to post this, I see *BrevilleTron has vindicated my position!)

I understand the gusset-moistening love for a car, I really do. I will cry proper hot big tears when I have to part with my current one. But a Rover 75?!?

That's ridiculous!

StickEm's DH: Just scrap it already, not worth it, the money you've wasted on it could have bought you a really nice second hand car you muppet! Like an Astra Eco, which are actually king of the road wink

Autumnchill Wed 09-Jan-13 21:03:55

And what exactly is a girls car!!!! glares at OPs husband

I'm female and a member of a car club and attend meets, pub get togethers and been on driving holidays with them but that's in a 2 seater convertible.

What is it exactly about this car that he likes other than parts are getting harder and harder to locate and it's pissing money away?

If the car hasn't broken down in the last two years, how come repair bills are over £2k? Tell him he's throwing good money after bad and its about time he was introduced to modern motoring and it's not because it's a Rover but because it's a money sponge for you. Maybe when you are older (ie 50, the average age of the 75 driver) and money is a bit more plentiful, then he can get one, stick it in the garage and tinker with it then, much like people do now with Spitfires.

Bogeyface Wed 09-Jan-13 21:05:00

Woohoo my old car was number 6! That 45 really was shit heap!

Bogeyface Wed 09-Jan-13 21:05:47

And I had a Belmot too, an E reg, which is at number 9, but I quite liked it grin

Doingakatereddy Wed 09-Jan-13 21:08:24

Repairs to R75 will only increase dramatically, service part suppliers are reluctant to continue building parts based on incredibly low annual volumes. When they are forced to supply parts, it will be at a highly inflated price & often late. Most part su

bureni Wed 09-Jan-13 21:11:41

Best thing about a Rover 75 is its current scrap value of around 200 quid, though the fake wood dash might suit someone with an Xbox. The thing that dictates the second hand value of these cars is the amount of fuel in the tank.

Doingakatereddy Wed 09-Jan-13 21:11:51

God I hate this phone.

Most suppliers will only make parts when they have a VOR 'vehicle off road' note escalated - 6wks plus.

R75 is a hobby car, it's badly made, expensive to repair, has poor safety record & frankly is a sad old basards car. Get rid!

What ever you do don't let him near a Land Rover.

It's a farmers car. It costs £110 to fill up. (and needs feeding weekly!) its difficult to get in and out of, is bumpy as anything on a road (but is fine across a ploughed field) and leaks water through the roof and oil from everywhere else. Dh spends hours working on it, buying it special little things and writing about it on forums.

I can't drive through disability so dh has 100% say on our family car. I feel your pain. YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now