Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have given my son a tin of tomatoes for breakfast

(96 Posts)
JeezyOrangePips Tue 08-Jan-13 08:22:50

My son is a teenager, and more than capable of getting breakfast for himself, but I tend to get his breakfast when I get mine.

This morning I asked him what he wanted. The usual answer is toast or cereal. Today he said 'food'.

He refused to expand on his answer, so I've left him with a tin of tomatoes.

WIBU?

Hesterton Sat 12-Jan-13 07:59:38

Thank you OP! We have NO food in the house to speak of (big home delivery later this morning) - DP away - and I as resigned to waiting for my breakfast. Read this thread, found a battered loaf in freezer and a tin of toms (and we do have butter) and bingo, that was REALLY nice. Not something I would have thought of myself.

smile

nextphase Sat 12-Jan-13 07:21:09

For the tinned tomatoes on toast brigade, have you tried (hot) tinned tomatoes on cheese on toast?

Thats my comfort, quick, lunch of choice.

echt Sat 12-Jan-13 06:08:55

Tomatoes on toast, with poached/fried eggs + HP sauce = train smash.

Heaven when consumed while listening to The News Quiz on R4 at the weekend.

fiverabbits Sat 12-Jan-13 04:59:03

My DS went shopping with my DD on Wednesday and they spent £147. Twice that day and on Thursday he said there's no food in this house when are going shopping. Tonight after giving him his tea he complained I had given him too much, I can't win can I.

Boomerwang England Wed 09-Jan-13 09:46:29

ewwwwww soggy toast <boak>

SpanishFly Wed 09-Jan-13 09:43:50

I've just had hot tomatoes on buttered toast, with pepper. WHY HAS NO-ONE TOLD ME TO TRY THIS BEFORE?
It seems so obvious now.
It is already now my favourite meal.

CuriousMama Wed 09-Jan-13 08:27:51

grin anewyear.

I never asked what was for tea as ate anything. I was so skinny in those days too <sigh>.

anewyear Wed 09-Jan-13 07:58:51

Our Mum used to tell us when we asked what was for tea,
'pigs trotters and oncycollops'
Oncycollops, what the hell they were, I dont know???
Daft thing is I now say it to my two hmm

fiverabbits Wed 09-Jan-13 01:45:44

CURIOUSMAMA

No he has been saying it for years. He is diabetic and has to eat regularly and isn't fussy so there is always something to eat so I don't know why he says it. On the other hand my DD is really fussy and if she has the choice of two items she is doing well.

GothAnneGeddes Wed 09-Jan-13 01:45:35

Toomuch - that sounds gorgeous! I will have to try that.

CuriousMama Wed 09-Jan-13 01:07:20

grin fiverabbits so they never change then?

fiverabbits Wed 09-Jan-13 00:59:52

CURIOUSMAMA

My DS is 32 and says there is nothing to eat in this house. So whats in the large chest freezer, the large fridge freezer, the 3 food cupboards, the bread and cake drawers,the crisps container and the fruit bowl. Why do we go shopping every week and let you buy anything you want ?

When we asked my Mum what's for tea she always said FRESH AIR PIE !

When I'm asked what's for afters, I reply THE WASHING UP !

CuriousMama Wed 09-Jan-13 00:55:41

That's a point Bogeyface think I'll give the cheese a miss? Or sprinkle bit of parmesan on top?

I love hot tinned tomatoes for breakfast, but I like a bit of bacon sausage and eggs and some toast with it too.
I think giving him a tin of tomatoes was very funny.

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 09-Jan-13 00:54:17

I rediscovered pilchards on toast recently too.

Why are things on toast so nice? Toms, pilchards, cheese, eggs, beans, they're all so much nicer with toast than on their own. I wonder what magic properties toast has!

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 09-Jan-13 00:52:31

I love toms on toast, with plenty of butter on the toast first. But no cheese, I tried that and it was like soggy pizza!

CuriousMama Wed 09-Jan-13 00:48:22

I'd guess plum tomatoes rather that chopped?

CuriousMama Wed 09-Jan-13 00:46:14

Is he my son? DS1 is 15 and apparently we never have any food in hmm

I thought your story was amusing grin

I must try toms on toast too as I hear they're nice but I'd put cheese on first greedy.

BunFagFreddie Wed 09-Jan-13 00:38:49

Youngsters these days don't know they're born. When we asked "What's for tea", we were told "You'll get what you're given".

Ahh, the good old days.

Nowadays that probably consitutes abuse of some sort. grin

Boomerwang England Wed 09-Jan-13 00:23:03

He's a snotty teenager. Fuck him.

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 09-Jan-13 00:20:22

Squeak My FIL used to say "a run and a kick at the pantry door" which is similar and he is in Derbyshire.

squeakytoy Wed 09-Jan-13 00:10:56

We used to get told "a run up the back door"... not sure if that was a northern saying or just one she made up..

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 08-Jan-13 23:26:30

As a kid I'd ask my parents "What's for tea?" and get the answer "Food!", the implication being that I'd damn well eat whatever I was given.

When we asked this my mum would say "Shit with sugar on!" which meant the same! My sister rather bravely asked what flavour it was once, I dont remember exactly what happened, but mommy dearest wasnt happy!

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 08-Jan-13 23:24:38

I did this to my mum once and she gave me a potato. Raw, unpeeled, as they come.

I seem to recall having a right old strop about how neglectful she was and how she clearly HATED me and I MUST BE ADOPTED!!!!!!! grin

I would do it to one of mine now though! grin

HenryCrun Tue 08-Jan-13 23:18:12

I dunno. As a kid I'd ask my parents "What's for tea?" and get the answer "Food!", the implication being that I'd damn well eat whatever I was given.

I still think this is funny. I'd eat the tomatoes. I quite like tinned tomatoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now