To have given my son a tin of tomatoes for breakfast

(96 Posts)
JeezyOrangePips Tue 08-Jan-13 08:22:50

My son is a teenager, and more than capable of getting breakfast for himself, but I tend to get his breakfast when I get mine.

This morning I asked him what he wanted. The usual answer is toast or cereal. Today he said 'food'.

He refused to expand on his answer, so I've left him with a tin of tomatoes.

WIBU?

RyleDup Tue 08-Jan-13 09:31:56

Tomatoes on toast is great.

Floggingmolly Tue 08-Jan-13 10:17:07

It'll still be on the table when you get back. And all the biscuits will be gone grin

KenLeeeeeee Tue 08-Jan-13 10:20:31

YABU.

I'd have given him cat food. <evil>

Startail Tue 08-Jan-13 10:28:47

YANBU
having a DH how never ever gives a straight answer to that sort if questions I share you pain.

At one point we had several bottles of squash, juice and fizz labeled, don' t know, don't care, something, anything etc. as I got totally exasperated with his replies to the question what would you like to drink.

seeker Tue 08-Jan-13 10:33:03

I thought it was amusing too- except that my dp and ds would have thought itnth best breakfast ever!

On a serious note (sorry) why do people think it's OK for people to be rude just because they're teenagers?

Fakebook Tue 08-Jan-13 10:33:39

My Dd's nursery used to make mini toast pizzas with tinned tomatoes and cheese on toast. You can jazz it up with some mushrooms and diced sausages.

TinyDancingHoofer Tue 08-Jan-13 10:42:34

Did he eat them??

thegreylady Tue 08-Jan-13 10:46:07

I love tomatoes on toast too :-)

purrpurr Tue 08-Jan-13 10:51:26

seeker WHY would you expect a teenager to behave like an adult? Do you not remember being a teenager or are you, like, reeeeeeeeeeeeeally really old?

AmberLeaf Tue 08-Jan-13 10:53:47

I don't think it was especially rude TBH, but I wouldn't be making a teenager breakfast as a rule.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 08-Jan-13 10:57:48

I love tinned tomatoes on toast. Yum.

TanteRose Tue 08-Jan-13 11:00:11

Well, I chuckled grin

YANBU

boschy Tue 08-Jan-13 11:00:49

I like the idea of random ingredients... and I thought it was funny too grin

BunFagFreddie Tue 08-Jan-13 11:01:24

WHY would you expect a teenager to behave like an adult? Do you not remember being a teenager or are you, like, reeeeeeeeeeeeeally really old?

Also, wasn't there a fairly recent study on how teenagers can't actually see things from others' point of view, because of hormones and stuff?

CadleCrap Tue 08-Jan-13 11:03:51

Tomorrow's breakfast sorted.

YANBU and agree with the more random food stuffs!

41notTrendy Tue 08-Jan-13 11:05:01

I laughed!
And do like the idea of increasingly random 'food' items on the table.
And I'm now having tomatoes on toast for lunch, warmed through, not all the juice but plenty of Worcestershire sauce. Thanks!

ToomuchWaternotWine Tue 08-Jan-13 11:06:19

Well done OP that made me smile Loving the idea of random ingredients left out !

I see your tomatoes on toast, and raise you ..... nigellas egg in purgatory. Heat some garlic and chilli in a small milk pan, add half a tin of tomatoes heat through, crack an egg on top let it cook, grate some yummy cheese on top Parmesan or whatever you like, once that is melted eat straight from pan by scooping up with chunky bread. It is fabulous hangover filling food! I am LCing now so have to use a spoon rather than bread but its still ace! And only one pan to wash.

Longdistance Tue 08-Jan-13 11:15:44

I just had tomatoes on toast......it was inspired by this thread grin nom, nom, nom.

Fakebook Tue 08-Jan-13 11:20:46

Has anyone ever tried rice pudding on buttered toast? I love it.

PessaryPam Tue 08-Jan-13 11:23:56

Was it still in the can OP?

Fake Seriously?! Weetabix on toast is nice though. Its like a digestive biscuit

FayeKorgasm Tue 08-Jan-13 11:32:16

As long as he didn't add vodka and have a bloody Mary once you had gone !grin

Fakebook Tue 08-Jan-13 11:48:00

Weetabix on toast?! Sounds like something my DS would enjoy! But really rice pudding on buttered crunchy toast is delicious. It has to be buttered though to get that salty flavour mixing with the sweet.

When I'm feeling really indulgent I buy yumyums from waitrose and whip some double cream and spread it on top. Yummy.

Banderchang Tue 08-Jan-13 13:13:44

Tinned tomatoes on toast is esp good if the toast is already spread with Marmite. If you like Marmite, of course.

Feminine Tue 08-Jan-13 13:35:37

Funny op having a teen myself , I don't get where you are coming from.

Mine, decided that as I "never buy any sugar" (bellowed in a Brian Blessed voice) he would devour most of the whole bottle of very expensive maple syrup!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now