Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect a confirmation email for stopping Child Benefit online?

(40 Posts)
RainyAfternoon Sun 06-Jan-13 23:14:10

Sorry very boring, but not sure where else to ask with 45min to go before the midnight deadline! I filled in the form, but have had no confirmation email - did anyone else get one straight away? Thanks...

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 09:19:30

I hope the Gvt spend the money wisely. They won't get a chance after the next election (they have pissed off just about everyone by now).

freakazoidroid Mon 07-Jan-13 09:19:47

We opted out online last night , but I have not received a email yet. Does this mean it hasn't worked properly . My husband earns over the threshold

minibmw2010 Mon 07-Jan-13 09:24:12

Moom, almost guaranteed Labour won't reinstate it if/when they get in at next election. Most likely they'll say they're ever so sorry and what a shit thing it was for ConDems to do BUT it'd cost too much to reinstate etc (all the while happily making plans with the cash) ... sad

ebersneezer Mon 07-Jan-13 09:28:15

I did it yesterday afternoon and got an email around 3 hours later.

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 09:30:37

Of course - "whoopsy, did they cancel that? We'd love to bring it back but hey ho...".

We are so much worse off than we've ever been. We had more cash in our pockets when we were in our first jobs paying peanuts!

CelticPromise Mon 07-Jan-13 09:48:05

bedmonster the online info suggests you should claim for each child even if you're not entitled to the payments as it will protect your NI for pension purposes and make sure the DC get NI numbers when they turn 16. Not sure if you saw that already. smile

diabolo Mon 07-Jan-13 10:10:01

I filled in the online form on New Year's Day, got a confirmation e-mail within 10 minutes and a letter confirming I had opted out 3 days later. I was impressed.

bedmonster Mon 07-Jan-13 13:05:00

Thanks Celtic I hadn't read that but had heard mentioned on here somewhere. So if I still claim do they still pay? How does that save money confused

sadaccountant Mon 07-Jan-13 13:09:54

I have a question - I filled in the online form, and got an acknowledgement right away. Today (ie 7/1) child benefit has popped into my account. Is it paid in arrears, or in advance? Does anyone know if I have to pay this back?

sadaccountant Mon 07-Jan-13 13:13:53

Sorry - meant to say got an email acknowledgement several hours later, not right away. That was on the 5th.

it says this online:

If you decide to stop your Child Benefit payments it won't affect your entitlement to Child Benefit. As long as you, or your partner, are entitled to receive it you should still fill in a Child Benefit claim form for any new children. This is because entitlement to Child Benefit:

*can help you qualify for National Insurance credits that can protect your entitlement to State Pension
*can help protect your entitlement to other benefits such as Guardian's Allowance
*ensures your child is automatically issued with a National Insurance number before their 16th birthday

It is worth knowing that you may still receive a Child Benefit payment in January 2013 even if you’ve already asked for your payments to be stopped. This is because Child Benefit is paid to you in arrears. If you receive a payment in January 2013 you don’t need to do anything.

You can restart your Child Benefit payments again at any time if you wish.
You will still need to report any changes in circumstances that could affect your entitlement to Child Benefit, or if you want to stop your payments for any other reason.

bedmonster, you can claim child benefit but opt out of the payments

sadaccountant Mon 07-Jan-13 13:15:21

Thank you!

RainyAfternoon Tue 08-Jan-13 09:27:51

The message finally came through at 3am last night! So a 28 hour backlog! No acknowledgement that I hit their deadline, but fingers crossed...

EssexGurl Tue 08-Jan-13 09:42:53

I couldn't do mine on-line as the website address they gave on the letter was wrong! When I called the chap said that the letter was sent out by HRMC not the CB people. All a bit odd. Anyway, having phoned I got a letter confirming it was stopped within a couple of weeks plus a booklet confirming what happened now it was stopped - ie that my protected rights do continue which was the crucial bit for me as a SAHM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now