To be p***ed off with being ill? (Caution - contains bad language)

(11 Posts)
Twattybollocks Sun 06-Jan-13 10:34:48

Bloody agony isn't it? Happened to me at 20 weeks pregnant so I couldn't even take ibuprofen. Dr prescribed the ibuprofen gel for me instead which was actually better as it didn't upset my stomach and got right to the spot.

Ninetyninepercent Sun 06-Jan-13 10:32:23

I've had the strained muscle under the ribs and it was excruciating. I found hot water bottles helped slightly. And at its worst I slept with the belt from a dressing gown tied round me, as it helped apply pressure to lessen the pain when I had to cough.

I've also - lucky me - broken a rib through coughing. I also had sprained rib muscles with that cough so was already in pain, but the difference was that, I could recall a coughing fit where I experienced such bad pain that I had to pull over in the car immediately and almost couldn't breathe as the pain was so intense and eye watering. It subsided after a minute or so and then it felt probably slightly more painful than before. But not much different it was only in hindsight I remembered these things when I eventually went to the Dr. The Dr noted that a specific area was very tender to touch (but that was similar to when I had a sprained muscle - but not so tender) and that it was in a position that was at the side of the ribs and a bit high for a muscle strain (but I guess that depends on where it breaks). X-ray confirmed hairline fracture. A rib fracture is so annoying, as there's no outward signs of imjury (to get sympathy) and no treatment so just had to get on with it.

Painkillers never lessened the pain for me unfortunately. Just time healing it.

One tip to stop sneezing is to press the bit under your nose between your nostrils when you feel the urge to sneeze. But don't try not to cough though - Dr said it was very important not to curb your need to cough. And when you do cough, try and cough normally and not do a shallow cough. As otherwise you risk developing a secondary bacterial chest infection from not clearing the phlegm effectively.

HintofBream Sun 06-Jan-13 09:59:15

I had a similar thing, terrible cough, then broken rib type pain, Xray revealed pneumonia. Maybe you should visit GP asap.

Enfyshedd Sun 06-Jan-13 09:40:08

Permanentlyexhausted - Yup, very tender in one specific spot whenever I cough/move/breathe/etc. In my case, right under my boob & to the side, right where my bra presses against the ribcage. It has a lovely permanent ache feel to it which cranks up to excruciating pain when you have to move the ribcage. Oh joy, I just realised burping makes it hurt as well... sad

Woke up every 2 hours in the night to cough & feel like I've had hardly any sleep at all. DP's said about taking me to a Sunday chemist to find the strongest cough medicine I can take & to top up on the ibuprofen.

SomersetONeil Sun 06-Jan-13 04:09:56

<sympathy>

Our house was riddled with whooping cough after I caught it, passed it onto DS and then DD.

So, so, sick of it after 3 effing months of it. We finally seem to have seen it off, though.

giraffesCantGoFirstFooting Sun 06-Jan-13 04:00:48

bad language is medicinal - swear away

fosterdream Sun 06-Jan-13 01:15:26

Well I had the flu and was coughing like mad the last few days, just as I was getting bloody better and I found laying on my my ribs that killed the most comfortable it was not comfortable way to sleep. Took about 3-4 weeks before the pain started to ease off.

Went to the drop in clinic was prescribed cocodamol 30/500 and it had no effect so booked myself into the doctors and the luckily doctor had broken a rib before so understood the pain and felt it wasn't just a pulled muscle.

I had an ultra sound and was given stronger painkillers they made me feel very drugged up but didn't touch the pain much but made me very sleepy and I found myself passing out! The pain was unbearable going out in the car was so painful every fucking bump in the road went right through me.

The pain was so bad I still compare it to childbirth! But childbirth is quicker. Luckily my DH had two weeks off work so one was able to just pass out. I had the hiccups twice that left me uncontrollably crying throughout. The best thing is to just carry a cushion and squash it as hard as you can whenever you need to.

Sorry if there is spelling mistakes on my tablet and far to tired to double check. Good night

Permanentlyexhausted Sun 06-Jan-13 00:30:14

So, tell me ... what does a pulled/torn muscle in your ribcage feel like? As well as hurting like heck when you breathe, cough, laugh, sneeze, stretch, etc, is it also very very tender in one specific spot? Is it more painful to lie on the side with the torn muscle or on the other side? How soon might the pain wear off if you still had a cough?

Just wondering as I can't work out whether all this coughing has caused a pulled muscle or a cracked rib. Whatever it is it fecking hurts. Every time I cough I have to hang on to my ribs and bend double just to ease the pain.

Enfyshedd Sun 06-Jan-13 00:19:57

I wish I could get away with no lifting - 7mo DD might have some issues with that sad

Hope you get better soon fosterdream - the first time I ever pulled a rib muscle, I thought I'd cracked a rib. Hate the thought of actually tearing one [ouchy face!]

fosterdream Sun 06-Jan-13 00:12:19

I feel for you I'm still recovering from a torn muscle under my left ribs been 6weeks. I'm much better now but I'm still in pain lifting/carrying heavy things and stretching. I spend two weeks with turets (don't know if that spelt correctly)

Hold a cushion on you're rib when you cough. Keep up on painkillers and time them. Don't lift a thing and be prepared for lack of sleep.

Enfyshedd Sat 05-Jan-13 23:48:55

Bollocks, bollocks, cunting bollocks! I'm just about to finish a course of antibiotics, and this evening the bastard cough I've had all week from the upper resp infection has finally got the better of me and I've pulled a muscle in my fucking rib cage just under my right tit. From previous experience of this (and as explained by the doctor before), I know that I will now have to take ibuprofen for a minimum of a week (preferably for at least 3-4 days after the cough goes away), otherwise I will pull the muscle again before it has a chance to heal properly and just end up prolonging the bastard agony.

Not fucking happy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now