To point out that you do not need a TV licence

(120 Posts)

Unless you watch live TV!

The TV licencing authorities have got everyone terrified, loads of myths about scanning equipment and having to let authorities in your home if they randomly turn up on your doorstep. All of which are told to be untrue on their own website. It's there in black and white, you are not breaking the law if you have your TV connected to a DVD player only, or if you watch (non-live) iplayer on your PC.

I'm told very often that I'm going to be locked up or fined for not having one hmm
Yet the actual authorities have no problem with me declaring I don't need one and haven't hassled me at all!

It's ridiculous. People need to be informed! grin

TwigsWithStupidLittleLightsOn Sat 05-Jan-13 21:57:29

YANBU but how many people don't watch 'live' TV?

MammaTJ Sat 05-Jan-13 21:59:29

Hmm,let us see!! Those who do not watch live TV sign up.

kim147 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:59:35

Legally you are correct.

Morally - why should I pay my licence fee to the BBC to provide a full range of quality viewing and services so people can watch it at their leisure on devices?

<ignores radio and internet provided by BBC which is funded but freely accessible>

You'd be surprised, a lot of people I talk to pay the licence out of habit or a belief that they have to, rather than because they actually do have to.

In case anyone was dubious, here's a quote from the website:
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.
You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
And the link to it

SwedishEdith Sat 05-Jan-13 22:02:49

This must apply to about 3 people nationally

Take a look at the other thread... wink
(The not having a TV one)

MikeLitoris Sat 05-Jan-13 22:06:50

Oh god.

You'll have people coming on telling you how morally wrong you are in a minute.

I pay my license because we watch live tv.

If I didnt then there is no way in hell I would pay £115 a year for it.

'Morally wrong' or not.

SuzysZoo Sat 05-Jan-13 22:08:31

What if I pause live tv on my BT box and then go and make a cup of tea and then come back in 10 mins to continue watching. Is that Live?!

Ahh, but "morally" I havent said whether I use iplayer or not, just that you can grin

There are loads of threads on this.

Legally and morally, no, you don't need a license.

People who claim that it's 'immoral' not to pay for a service you don't use are, IMHO, being daft. If they're rich enough to pay for services they don't use, they should do so, and stop trying to police everyone else.

I don't watch live TV, and it seems quite common amongst my mates. We're on budgets and the luxuries have to go.

forevergreek Sat 05-Jan-13 22:10:18

We don't have a tv. Dont pay a license. But do watch Bbc player occasionally on laptop ( maybe once a month)

gordyslovesheep Sat 05-Jan-13 22:10:24

I pay because I want to - I think it's value for money smile

Suzy, I'd say that would be counted as "recording live programmes as they are shown"

RustyBear Sat 05-Jan-13 22:11:30

Suzyszoo - it's not live, but it needs a licence because your BT box is recording the programme as it's being broadcast.

kim147 Sat 05-Jan-13 22:11:44

Radio 4
Africa
Pointless
QI
Miranda
Local radio
BBC 4

Well worth £115 a year smile

I know, LRD, I've been on them before.
But people incorrectly pointing out on the other thread that someone needed a licence made me think that maybe a little reminder was needed grin

KobayashiMaru Sat 05-Jan-13 22:12:33

You do if you are watching recorded (as in sky plus) programmes on a TV, just not if you are watching catchup online on a computer or device. Your OP doesn't actually specify the difference.

PoppyWearer Sat 05-Jan-13 22:12:42

If people do not pay their license fees, then the BBC will die. If the BBC dies, there will be No More CBeebies.

Without CBeebies, many of us will be forced to stop MN'ing and entertain our children. Mumsnet will probably survive die.

Please, think of me the children and Justine and Olivia and Rebecca and all and pay your license fee! <dismounts soapbox>

But seriously...just pay it. A world without the BBC would be...like the US. <shudders>

tittytittyhanghang Sat 05-Jan-13 22:13:22

is it just live bbc programmes? We have sky but honestly cant remember the last time we watched any of the bbc channels. I wish therewas an opt out option.

Worley Sat 05-Jan-13 22:13:38

we never watch bbc. Cartoon Network, sky 1 and e4 are the main channels in our house.. we pay for sky.. so we do we have to fund the bbc?

You're not wrong there, beyond.

It always amazes me how many people don't seem to get that TV is a luxury, not a necessity. Sure, it's very nice to have and it's not wildly expensive over a whole year, but you don't get the same attitude over anything else comparable - no one is stunned to find you don't have the papers delivered daily, or you don't have a magazine subscription. Why's TV different?

SwedishEdith Sat 05-Jan-13 22:16:07

So, those who have no tv but have the abliity to watch it live on their laptop don't do so to avoid the licence fee? Yeah, right, course they don't. grin

sunshine401 Sat 05-Jan-13 22:17:43

You have to pay for a licence if you have a radio. sad

LynetteScavo Sat 05-Jan-13 22:18:08

If people do not pay their license fees, then the BBC will die. If the BBC dies, there will be No More CBeebies.

Without CBeebies, many of us will be forced to stop MN'ing and entertain our children. Mumsnet will probably survive die.

Brilliant. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now