to think that now it's Twelfth Night, we could get rid of that annoying S and AIBU should go back to being unReasonable again?!

(44 Posts)
flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 18:13:46

Just that, really.
The tree is coming down...
So are the other decorations...
I reckon it's time for that S to go!

Erm... I hate to break it to you but it's the 6th that decs are supposed to come down!

Mutt Sat 05-Jan-13 18:16:16

Yes, and get rid of the festive smileys too.

Mutt Sat 05-Jan-13 18:16:35

Christmas is dead and buried.

Maryz Sat 05-Jan-13 18:22:33

Yes, that's fine.

I have taken down my Christmas decorations, and will not be discussing Christmas again until DECEMBER.

Did you hear that all of you loons who insist on starting shopping next month, wrapping in July and putting up your trees in October?

The 5th is 12th night, SummerRain, isn't it? That's the day I take mine down.

FruOla Sat 05-Jan-13 18:26:09

Maryz is correct, SummerRain. The 5th of January is Twelfth Night - the date that decorations are supposed to come down.

needtogetoffsofa Sat 05-Jan-13 18:28:12

omg - thought it was tomorrow, going out now so what will befall me if I leave the up, seriously?

Lueji Sat 05-Jan-13 18:31:18

According to DS we will only remove our nativity scene on the 7th because the Magi visit tomorrow.
The tree can come down tomorrow, though. smile

FruOla Sat 05-Jan-13 18:33:02
MadBanners Sat 05-Jan-13 18:33:02

I had not even noticed it had changed! confused

FruOla Sat 05-Jan-13 18:35:46

So, yes, flow4. YANBU.

Not only should we be going back to being unReasonable, instead of unSeasonable, but all the Christmas Smileys should go too. But that's unlikely to happen until Monday now, I would have thought grin grin

flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 18:37:10

Uh-oh! Have I inadvertently started an argument about whether Twelfth Night is the 5th or the 6th?! Of COURSE it's the 5th you sixy sixers! grin

But never mind that... I want to be unSeasonable now... That S has to go!

See here Summer

FruOla Sat 05-Jan-13 18:38:55

No, flow4, this argument has been raging going on in Chat for the last few days grin

flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:07:43

"Unlikely to happen until Monday", Fru?! shock
But it's bad luck to keep Christmassy things past Christmas! If MNHQ don't get rid of the S and the smileys before midnight, then Mumsnet Towers may come tumbling down! shock

dottyspotty2 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:10:16

twelth night is the 6th aka the epithany the reason they come down today is they are meant to be down before twelth night.

diaimchlo Sat 05-Jan-13 19:10:31

Tradition is that they have to come down on the 6th and has been for as long as I can remember .....

dottyspotty2 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:13:10

Oh well I was misimformed all those years ago epithany is 12th day the 6th today is 12th night blush

Maryz Sat 05-Jan-13 19:20:38

I have reported the thread, Flow, as I am very concerned that if the smileys and the s aren't gone by midnight the end of the world will arrive shock.

FruOla Sat 05-Jan-13 19:21:40

flow4. It's unlikely there's anyone in MNHQ over the weekend to take their decorations down on the website or in RL - there will just be poor Olivia on weekend duty again <proffers gin> with her hand hovering over the Red Button to delete all the norty people grin (see, I got another one in there wink).

flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 20:08:48

diaim - "Tradition is that they have to come down on the 6th" < < My tradition says they have to come down on the 5th. That's traditions for ya - sooooo fickle!

You are very, very wise Maryz... MNHQ will prolly give you a medal for saving their Tower or something... grin

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 05-Jan-13 20:10:55

We're pretty sure tech is going to remove these, but we'll check

MiaCulper Sat 05-Jan-13 20:18:34

Twelfth night is the 6th of January. Epiphany. The Adoration of the Magi.

Did the three kings turn up, with their lovely gifts, to be told, "Oh, sorry, we're not doing Christmas anymore. We took the decorations down yesterday." hmm

flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 20:25:25

You didn't look at Sauvignon's link , did you Mia? hmm

And, um, sorry to poop your Epiphany party, but the Magi definitely won't have been expecting Christmas decorations... That stable wasn't very glittery... And tinsel wasn't invented until 1610... grin

flow4 Sat 05-Jan-13 20:27:29

Hello Catherine! > waves <
Hope Tech can get it done before midnight so MNHQ can avoid Bad Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now