to ask why should I pay for someone else's mum's care home?

(328 Posts)
Ilovexmastime Fri 04-Jan-13 12:29:45

I was just reading my DM's copy of The Express (I like to raise my blood pressure every so often) and came across this article: www.express.co.uk/posts/view/368525

It is an article about spending money that we give to the EU on old age care. There is a case study bit in it where a woman is complaining that they had to sell her mum's £140,000 bungalow to pay her £100,000 costs in a care home.

Am I missing something here? Why should I, as a taxpayer, pay for her mum's care home when she has enough money to cover it herself? It wasn't like her mother was ever going to leave the care home and move back home, so why not sell it?

Oodhousekeeping Mon 07-Jan-13 18:58:26

Paying does confer an advantage. You can choose where you want to go and when you want to go. You don't have to wait for someone to decide you merit a place.

No advantage here. Grandad went in a care home that had a free space luckily it was a nice one & is currently waiting for a nursing home place that could be up to 40 miles away and cost between £750 and £1000 a week minimum ( going off their website). He has been offered a bed in a twin room in a home in our town but not sure if they'll think he's ok to share.

3littlefrogs Mon 07-Jan-13 18:59:12

Sorry - X posted.

Yes - Self funding only gives you a choice until your savings run out.

crashdoll Mon 07-Jan-13 19:20:07

Therefore, no funding means no choice. I know which one I'd prefer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now