to ask how you deal with the hypercondriac in your life

(34 Posts)
LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 03-Jan-13 12:07:10

Someone i know but am spending more.and more time with is im.afraid,a nutjo. Please come and tell me if im being unreasonable and if not,.how do.i deal.with ths person.

The person in question always makes.a.drama out of the smallest thing. A slight cough is.pneumonia,a stomach ache is an ulcer, headache is a tumor and it goeas on and on.

Last night she came round for a curry and as she doesnt lkie spicy thngs i got her a korma. She finished about 10mins before the rest of us and when we were all finising off i tried a bit o the korma sauce froma freinds plate and said it was actually qite nice and not too coconutty. She pipes up and says (incredulously) theres ^ nuts^ in it!? Didnt you know.i.was allergic! Sits tbere for 10 mins of so heavy breathing with hands on her stomach then says shes gonna have to go, she can feel her face 'blowing up' already hmm the thing is, she hasnt got a fucking nut allergy she was happily packing away the bountys at xmas

Rhubarbgarden Thu 03-Jan-13 13:21:39

I have a friend like this. Despite pleading poverty all the time she recently went to Bangkok and paid £500 for a 'personal health check' which told her she needed her gall bladder removing. She came home and pestered her doctor, who repeatedly told her there was nothing wrong with her. Eventually he told her she could do it if she really believed it would help her many imaginary symptoms. She had the operation, and still complains about her symptoms all the time.

I've had to distance myself. She's been a good friend over the years and I feel bad about it, but her self obsession was driving me crazy.

Euphemia Thu 03-Jan-13 13:22:28

Thank goodness MIL doesn't have a computer, or Dr Google would have her diagnosed with everything from dengue fever to the plague!

As it is, she reckons she has:

ME
Arthritis
High blood pressure
Type 2 diabetes
Novovirus [sic]

hmm

LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 03-Jan-13 13:24:12

Oh i dont know. I think she heard the word nut andjust jumped on it.
Or maybe she has an intolerance to all things with the letter c.

Fakebook Thu 03-Jan-13 13:26:14

Sounds like my aunt. She's been "ill" for as long as I can remember. Ignoring helps and letting them get on with the acting. It's a mental illness and you can't help them unless they realise they're talking bullshit themselves.

ILikeWhisperingToo Thu 03-Jan-13 13:31:47

Holly do I mean something about legumes then?! I may be off on a tangent grin

ILikeWhisperingToo Thu 03-Jan-13 13:41:58

foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/f/coconutallergy.htm
More than you ever needed to know

maisiejoe123 Thu 03-Jan-13 14:42:40

I have a close relative who has persuaded doctors to give her MRI scans and has 2-3 'treatments' a week for back/neck problems. Surprisingly they can never find anything wrong. She is very hard work. It is an attention seeking issue but tbh I avoid her talking about her perceived health issues when there is nothing wrong with her!

There are people fighting cancer and all this women moans about is herself..

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 03-Jan-13 17:02:37

Honestly that doesn't sound like hyperchondria, it sounds like attention seeking! Hyperchondriacs tend to be a lot more anxious about their imagined illnesses, like genuinely worried, not just chatting about them in casual conversation.

3smellysocks Thu 03-Jan-13 17:24:21

coconut is not a nut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now