To call your children "kids"?

(90 Posts)
VIX1980 Thu 03-Jan-13 11:06:22

I was in a shop i volunteer in yesterday morning helping out on the till when a family of 3 adults and 4 children came in.

the adults were paying no attention to the children, letting them pick everything up and throw the toys about on the floor trying to play with them. I noticed 1 of the boys (around 4-5) was eating a cream cake, as we dont allow any food in the shop but he had about 1 more bite left i just watched to make sure he wasnt putting it verywere as he was covered in cream all over his hands and on his coat. When he had the last bit in his mouth i looked over to the adults who locked in conversation about some curtains.

They were no more than 2 feet away from the till where i was so i said to them, is it k if i give him a baby wipe so he can clean his hands?, they ignored me, so i asked again moving closer, Is that your little boy, is it ok to give him a baby wipe, again i was ignored, i said excuse me are these your children? nothing still.

So i finally went over and said sorry to bother you are those your kids over there? I didnt even get time to finish my sentence before one of them screamed in my face not to call them kids, they are children, and with that she took a load of clothes of the rails threw them on the floor and stormed out the shop followed closely by the rest of them, then i watched through the window as the mother mouthed to me "ill have you".

I walked to the door and shouted over to her what are you going on about and she came over and had a go at me for calling her little kids "kids".

Would you be offended if someone called your children "kids"? I dont get it to be honest?

MmeGuillotine Fri 04-Jan-13 12:45:11

I explained further up the thread but I don't say 'kids' because I have Aspergers and it's just too informal for me to use. I also don't say 'hi' by the way, for the same reasons.

I don't fly off the handle if someone else uses them though. I mostly don't even notice. I just don't use them personally.

squoosh Fri 04-Jan-13 12:21:34

It blows my mind too.

The same people probably don't approve of 'Hi' as a greeting.

roastednut Fri 04-Jan-13 12:08:10

No-one on here who has said they don't like the word has actually said why. I'm totally baffled why anyone would be offended. Could someone explain? Or is it just because its 'informal'. Odd.

YouOldTinsellySlag Fri 04-Jan-13 09:43:41

I know Tarka. Mumsnet has really shocked me over the last few months.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 03-Jan-13 20:17:22

Are some people genuinely offended by "kids" instead of " children"? Wow.

YouOldTinsellySlag Thu 03-Jan-13 19:49:31

Origin of KID

Middle English kide, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse kith kid
First Known Use: 13th century.

Goats are also known as kids but many words in the English Language have more than one meaning, or began differently and merged as the same word..

I am not bothered by the use of the word kid ( I cringe at Bubs or kiddies though) and think there is no reason for it to bother anyone. As far as I'm aware, no child or offspring has ever ended up in therapy over being called a name that ALSO means a baby goat, not exclusively means baby goat.

Anyway OP, the woman was unreasonable for letting her child eat in the shop, ignoring you when you politely addressed her three times, and for launching at you for an innocent remark.

Your manager is also unreasonable. Being afraid to use the word kids for fear of upsetting someone really is a step too far in the world of being politically correct. Carry on as you were.

I use kids all the time, except on here (MN has some weird hangups, but it's part of its charm)

Woman was completely out of order and you were far more restrained than I would have been in the same situation.

marjproops Thu 03-Jan-13 18:59:10

Do you have cctv in your shop? If she reacted like that to you I wonder how she treats her KIDS at home? and that was vandalism in your shop wasnt it? she really sounds barking.

and agree with sudaname, you'd said 'children' enough times.

wonder what SHE calls them then?

LegoAcupuncture Thu 03-Jan-13 18:56:56

You should have shouted back "what's for your goat?"

What a complete overreaction.

Personally I don't mind the term kids, would rather people used that to refer to my kids than the names that go around in my head.

MammaTJ Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:06

YANBU but my DS would have told you off, same as he does me. 'I am not a baby goat you know, I am a child! ' He is 6.

redexpat Thu 03-Jan-13 18:43:46

Why on earth would your manager think that YOU were being unreasonable?! confused

letsgomaths Thu 03-Jan-13 18:14:24

By commonplace I don't mean more so than "children" though.

manticlimactic Thu 03-Jan-13 18:14:19

I'd have said if you don't want me calling them kids then make sure they're not behaving like animals.

letsgomaths Thu 03-Jan-13 18:13:42

I would have thought that by now the word "kids" is almost commonplace, and I bet that some would be surprised to learn that it means "baby goats" as well!

Aniseeda Thu 03-Jan-13 17:54:54

She was an unpleasant character who would have thrown a wobbly whatever you said.

I don't especially like the term 'kids' and avoid using it myself but it doesn't offend me if others use it and I'd certainly never behave like that even if someone said 'are those your filthy little urchins messing up my shop?!'

MrsMelons Thu 03-Jan-13 16:39:44

She is crazy - ridiculous!

The term kid has been a colloquial expression for a young person since the 1500s, it would never occur to me that someone might find it offensive. I use it all the time, it sounds friendly and less formal than children. The woman was slightly odd op.

LuluMai Thu 03-Jan-13 14:59:36

They were probably trying to nick stuff and tried to divert your attention by throwing a strop.

GrumpySod Thu 03-Jan-13 14:57:16

HA! Bunch of hypocrites most you lot. I have been at sharp end of snippy remarks on MN for referring to "kids". Even if Prince Charles himself uses the word on occasion to refer to his own.

I think QuickQuick & Ephiny have it right, the family were up to something sneaky & didn't like any confrontation no matter how mild. Just feel sorry for them, it's the best you can get out of what happened.

"Kids" is a bit too nice for my lot. Blood sucking whinging toerags would be much more accurate.

tittytittyhanghang Thu 03-Jan-13 14:56:24

I wonder is the mother was a mner who was professional offended on behalf of goats? I say mner because I have never in rl met anyone who batted an eyelid at the word kid.

Also on checking the oxford dictionary interesting to see what the first entry is smile

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/kid?q=kid

EmpressMaud Thu 03-Jan-13 14:52:43

I wouldn't use the term 'kids' personally, but I certainly wouldn't object to others using it.

Yanbu.

squoosh Thu 03-Jan-13 14:50:53

Anyone who objects to the term 'kids' is completely bizarre and ridiculous.

That woman's behaviour went beyond bizarre and ridiculous.

PanickingIdiot Thu 03-Jan-13 14:14:39

Good grief!

I've heard/read/seen people routinely refer to their own children as sprog, brat and spawn and nobody seems to bat an eyelid. "Kid" has been a perfectly acceptable synonym to "child" for as long as I remember. I wonder how many people (native English-speakers) even know its original meaning.

I certainly prefer it to the DC nonsense that goes on here.

Fakebook Thu 03-Jan-13 14:10:12

Kids, kiddies, lambs, anklebiters, rugrats, bairns, sprogs, sprouts, babes, cubs and a whole lot more are just other words for children. I don't really get all worked up by the word "kid". The woman was obviously a weirdo.

elizaregina Thu 03-Jan-13 14:09:05

Op I have been grin at your description, espeically

" then i watched through the window as the mother mouthed to me "ill have you"."

It sounds more like a French and Saunders sketch or something.

I really dont like the word kids myself - it slips out occasionally and feels very odd, however I am astounded by thier reaction...you poor thing!

I agree with others - they may have been on the rob...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now