Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think losing weight brings out the green eyed monster?

(47 Posts)
WhiteRoseDrop Wed 02-Jan-13 17:48:14

I've decided to lose weight (not in a drastic way) and hope to lose around 2 stone by this time next year, which would make me 9 stone.

Quite a few people have said to me "you're fine as you are", "you don't need to lose any weight".

Don't get me wrong, it's nicer to hear then "yeah you are a fat cow and could do with losing some" - but at least they would be being honest I suppose.

A friend of mine was 10 stone 7 originally, and then at her lowest she was just under 9 stone. She is 5'5 and I thought she looked lovely and not disgustingly thin. If she had got to a dangerous point then I would of course have said something.

But the whole topic of conversation revolved around her weight loss, how she was looking thin, how she's obviously not eating, how they're so worried about her. The friend who lost the weight never mentioned it and told me she got quite annoyed with the comments.

Does weight loss bring out the green eyed monster in people?

Absoluteeightiesgirl Wed 02-Jan-13 21:39:36

When I have been trying to lose weight there is one particular woman at work who brings in junk food that she knows I struggle with and offers it to me every time I am in the vicinity. At one point she actually left chocolate on my desk. I ted to keep my gob shut know if I am trying to shift the flab.

BinksToEnlightenment Wed 02-Jan-13 21:49:31

Yes, they do. I've put on nearly two stone this year. I went from a size 4 - 6 to an 8. Some people at work wouldn't even talk to me last Christmas. They're nice as pie to me now I'm a normal weight.

JustAHolyFool Wed 02-Jan-13 21:50:06

God, I find this so weird. I really don't see how your friends' weight impacts on you. If you want to be thin, lose weight. If you can't be arsed, don't go on.

Minshu Wed 02-Jan-13 21:52:33

Bucking the trend here, but I was thinking this when I was just under 9 stone a couple of years ago. I though I looked great then and couldn't understand why friends and family were peeing on my parade. But, looking back, I did look gaunt and some friends were genuinely concerned about me. Real friends, most of whom are naturally thinner and more sporty than me, and no jealousy in the mix.

MsRinky Wed 02-Jan-13 22:46:21

Well, sort of. I lost 50lbs last year and some people are definitely feeling threatened. I got about a dozen boxes of chocolates for Christmas, even though I still have a very high bmi.

But you haven't lost weight, you've just decided that you're going to and presumably have told everyone your plan. So don't be surprised that people might think you're fishing to be told you don't need to.

I hate talking about diets to real people and only my mum and husband knew I was on one until the weightloss was really obvious. If you don't want people to go on about it, don't mention it.

OneSliceOfSwissCheese Thu 03-Jan-13 12:38:53

But I found that even if I didn't mention trying to lose weight to anyone except my DH, people still seem to think it's ok to make really personal comments along the lines of "Don't lose anymore will you?" etc etc.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 12:43:44

People are mad aren't they.

I have had the same, including comments that I am vain because I go to the gym probably once a week (and then just sit in the jacuzzi).

I have been told that I am underweight - I am not, just gone from the top end of a good BMI to the bottom. I have had health problems, you would think that people would just be pleased that I am healthy now.

vj32 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:39:47

Thats fine so long as you are not one of those people who talks non stop about needing to lose weight and their diet and how many calories they ate yesterday etc.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 13:48:34

That's true - you must not, on pain of death, tell people you are on a diet.

This is why diet threads on MN are so great - we can all bore each othe to death talking about low carbing etc and then you don't have to talk to anyone about the subject in RL.

freddiefrog Thu 03-Jan-13 13:52:06

YANBU

My mum used to be very overweight and over the last year or so has lost a lot of weight and is now down to a size 14. She looks amazing, so much younger and healthier.

Her best friend was always quite slim and has been very hurtful to my mum since she lost weight. I think it's because mum is no longer the 'fat friend' that she can measure herself against and make herself feel better about her own life if that makes sense

ViviPru Thu 03-Jan-13 13:54:44

I've lost just over 2 stone and I want to lose another 1/2 stone - if I do I'll be bang in the middle of healthy BMI and a size 8-10 which would be ideal for my small-shouldered, small limbed frame. It gets on my wick that people keep saying "oh don't lose anymore, you don't need to" like I'm some dimwit that has no ability to healthily self-regulate.

WorraLiberty Thu 03-Jan-13 14:01:24

With regards to people thinking others are losing too much weight, that might be because they know them too well, so they look at them differently...rather than jealousy.

I was thinking about this the other day when I picked up a magazine. The photo was of a large/chubby woman who looked as though she needed to lose a bit of weight. Then I realised the story was that she'd just lost 10 stone.

Now to me (having never seen her before) she looked overweight, but I'm sure to her friends and family, she would have looked super slim.

So different people will have a different perspective, depending on how often they see you I think.

ArthurandGeorge Thu 03-Jan-13 14:18:50

I think Worra's got a good point, that with the way that we are now conditioned not to recognise people being overweight because of the population shift in weight massively confuses people in a way they might not be able to recognise.

Also some people just don't like to see others succeeding at something they are themselves too afraid to try and thin people being afraid someone else will be thinner and "better" than them.

FWIW I have always been skinny, for years and years, I am happy but pretty aware of my weight. I don't want to gain weight because this is how I've always been, I am used to how I look and my clothes fit. If I think I might have gained weight then I eat fewer cakes for a couple of weeks. No one comments on my weight now.

BarredfromhavingStella Thu 03-Jan-13 14:23:42

I think it does yes, horrible really sad

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Thu 03-Jan-13 15:49:18

The thing about losing weight, is that it goes from your face long before it goes from your arse.

And people look at your face more often than they look at your arse (unless you have some very weird friends)

So you diet down from chubby-person-face to skinny-person-face, your mates go, 'wow! look how much weight you've lost' and you say, 'oh but I have another 2 stone to lose [because my arse has decreased by ONE POXY INCH]'... and your mates will think you're mad. And probably say so. But you are both right in a way. grin

LuluMai Thu 03-Jan-13 16:12:20

My weight has fluctuated massively over the years (currently a size 18), but last time I lost weight a couple of years ago, I got down to a size ten and suddenly the compliments turned a bit sneery- people telling me not to go any further or I'd be too skinny, how thin I looked, am I taking it to the extreme etc.

I never comment on people's weights, whether they've gained weight or lost weight. If they start talking about it, I try to be diplomatic. It's none of my business and frankly irrelevant- if someone is my friend, I couldn't give a shit if they're a size six or 26. And again, if I don't like someone, it's because of their character, not their dress size.

BigShinyBaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 16:41:31

I'm joining Sa W meeting in about an hour. I cannot WAIT for people to start getting jealous of my new ultra slinky bod!!

BigShinyBaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 16:42:13

a SW meeting

Bumblequeen Thu 03-Jan-13 17:19:07

Yes. I was slim skinny as a child and was constantly reminded as though it was some sort of disadvantage. I remember in my early twenties an ex friend said:

"Men do not like slim women. They prefer curves".

The same ex friend's mother used to comment that I looked like I was 'drowning in my clothes.'

For years I hated being slim and convinced myself I was not womanly.

I wore a size 10 and on the odd ocassion an 8.

Years later I realised they were jealous and they have both been battling with their weight ever since! On the rare ocassion I bump into them they feel the need to justify their added weight.

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:50

When I was writing my PJs, I was working long hours to get it done. I ate very little and lost a lot of weight. I saw my sister at family party (she lives abroad pl

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Jan-13 18:50:32

(posted too soon) and she wailed "I'm the thin one, you're the clever one, you can't be both".

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Jan-13 18:51:10

PJs! PhD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now