to actually like looking "pale" ??

(87 Posts)
xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 22:17:14

My natural skin colour is pale and I have to say that I love it.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you are ill/never go out in the sun.

When I say I like being pale, some of my friends literally seem to shudder and pull the hmm face.

Yes I love having a tan when I come back off holiday because then it's natural but I wouldn't lie out in the sun for hours in order to get one.

I've been on holiday with a friend who will be out in the sun from 9 and refuse to leave her sun bed until the sun has actually gone.

Anyone else actually like their skin colour or as soon as your tan starts to fade will you jump on the sun bed or grab the nearest bottle of Saint Tropez?

digerd Tue 15-Jan-13 11:51:08

When younger, I loved being naturally tanned. Not only how it looked but the tingling and glow I felt from the sun-tan.
When I was 40, I had a black melanoma on one arm, which was caught just in time before it was to start spreading. That scared me.
I did try fake tan on my legs, but was a disaster. So didn't bother again.
I met an 83 year-old and her 65 year-old friend on holiday, and both sunbathed all day long. Neither had a wrinkle or line on the face or body.

Eliza22 Tue 15-Jan-13 09:18:44

I'm fair. Pale was pretty in my twenties, thirties and even forties (though I did, at that time, start to use the St Tropez weekly for my gym sessions). Now, I'm 50 and sadly, though I still have good skin, pale means washed out and rather drab.

I need colour "about" me. And that's fine by me.

I'm assuming you're young? Enjoy your paleness now. You may find as you mature, that a little colour helps along the way! smile

BunFagFreddie Tue 15-Jan-13 08:24:53

I'm pale and it's never bothered me.

My friend told me I was very pale a while ago! I've always been the tanned one from holidays, so I was kinda surprised, but I guess I lose it quickly. He said when he first met me he thought I was Scandinavian, which I've never heard before.....I have lightish hair (when it's er, clean) but dark eyelashes/brows.
Had spots for so long that I really don't care about my skin anymore- and have noticed that loads of older teens actually have little wrinkles here and there- I have no interest in a "skincare regime" beyond soap and water, and definitely not fake tan.

perceptionInaPearTree Wed 02-Jan-13 10:02:20

I'm pale here, too - quite happy to look white tbh. So YANBU. I've had professional fake tans various times and they are a real pain to maintain and also I don't like the smell.

everlong Wed 02-Jan-13 09:58:19

I'm pale in winter but my skin goes brown in the sun.

<useless info>

Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud looks so much better now she has embraced the pale.....and launched her own make up range.
It is hard not to be influenced by peer pressure to go a bit orange though isn't it?
I have dabbled with fake tans.....my last ever spray was about 6 years ago when my hand were the colour of conkers blushand I had a fetching floral stencil effect down below due to wearing my own lacy g string shock (always use their paper pants folks!)
I also agree with other comments that the "normal" look (ESP amount teenage girls and Jack wills sales assistants) is orange, hideous false lashes and yes, those horrid white tipped fake nails! I wish these women would realise that they look so much better without all of that crap.

Whatdoiknowanyway Wed 02-Jan-13 09:13:28

I'm very pale with white hair. Never bothered me but I was amused when in south of France on holiday a couple of years ago. We went for a walk on our first evening and a couple of old ladies sitting on a bench actually stopped their conversation and watched openmouthed as we walked past - fascinated by my blue/white legs.

ipswichwitch Wed 02-Jan-13 09:12:48

i've got dark blonde hair and am pale - my legs are so white they're almost translucent! I do tan eventually on holiday, but generally only when i have enough freckles to join up and form some sort of tan.
it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've had the usual "oh you look ill" comments, but i'd rather be pale than smell of fake tan (which makes me feel queasy)

TheProvincialLady Wed 02-Jan-13 09:10:19

I am pale but blusher makes me more English Rose than vampire. I like it - I would much, much rather be pale than orange. A light real suntan can look nice, but most people in this country think that glowing sunburn is a good look, or failing that then actual orange. Orange FFS!

HairyGrotter Wed 02-Jan-13 09:01:58

I'm pale, however, I tan like a mofo when the sun is out! I like having a bit of colour during the summer, but only when it is naturally caught.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 02-Jan-13 08:59:57

i am very pale, with blonde hair
i am fine with it, although i do need a spot of blusher to avoid looking totally washed out and under the weather.
have never had a spray tan or real tan. i did experiment with fake tanning my legs, but didn't like it.

FolkElf Wed 02-Jan-13 08:55:59

vvviola sunglasses needed for my legs too! The glare from them in the sunshine...!

Mrsrudolphduvall Wed 02-Jan-13 08:55:13

I am very pale with dark hair and eyes.
I get rosacea in the summer and sunshine triggers it, so no sunbathing for me.

I have never had a decent spray tan so don't bother any more.

FolkElf Wed 02-Jan-13 08:54:07

I'm also very pale. I've got freckles which makes my face appear less so - I'm not covered in them and they're quite pale but enough to be noticeable. The rest of me like a slightly squishy porcelain doll!

I think that all natural skin tones/colours are beautiful but I don't like the fake tan look and just don't get what people find attractive about it at all.

DozyDuck envy that's my favourite combo.

jaggythistle Wed 02-Jan-13 08:07:09

i like getting a wee bit of sun in the summer, but also don't do deliberate sunbathing.

i tried a fake tan moisturiser thing once and it smelled awful! it did help me work out why my workmates smell funny sometimes though. grin

i don't mind being pale, although when i get tired it makes my dark circles round my eyes look worse. smile

sashh Wed 02-Jan-13 07:57:21

Just remembered, I got extra massage time in Bali. The lady on the beach was so fascinated by my 'beautiful white skin'.

DozyDuck Wed 02-Jan-13 07:50:55

I'm see through grin
With black hair and bright blue eyes.

I only get positive comments about it.

YANBU

ohfunnyhoneyface Wed 02-Jan-13 06:32:03

I tan very quickly with olive skin- pale on me DOES mean ill! But I think pale is beautiful and love my DP's white freckly skin and his sister's gorgeous milk white skin. I really don't mind what colour our baby is- though a life time of panicking about shade and sunburn doesn't appeal that much!! His dad burns in the shade!

vvviola Wed 02-Jan-13 06:22:04

I gave in briefly to the pressure to get a fake tan for my wedding, got a test done on my legs and it made me look like I had some weird tropical disease. I was very glad to be able to use it as an excuse not to get it done for the wedding. Still had a stand up row with one of my bridesmaids about it though.

I do tan, but gradually and slowly and it's more a case of my freckles joining up than a real tan grin

At the moment I look like two halves of different people. My legs are still so white they look blue (friends have joked they need sun glasses to look at me!), but my arms are tanned from doing the school run etc. I look pretty daft in shorts (summer here)

I don't mind being pale, but I wish it was a bit more even!

FlimFlamMerrilyOnHigh Wed 02-Jan-13 05:55:42

You should live in Japan or Korea, they completely idolise pale skin and spend a fortune on skin whitening creams. Japanese women would never never sunbathe, it's considered lower class to be tanned (as it was in Europe 100 years ago). A Japanese friend told me that Japanese women with babies in buggies have special long gloves that go up to their elbows so that they don't get their forearms tanned while walking about outdoors pushing the buggy.

CaptChaos Wed 02-Jan-13 05:13:50

I am very pale skinned, with very dark brown hair. I never expose my legs to the sun, as they are so white they are reflective and people are blinded by the glare! It takes me so long to get any sort of colour in the summer that I don't bother anymore.

I had a spray tan once, and it just made me look slightly grubby, but then what passes for a natural tan on me also just makes me looks slightly grubby!

One positive is that no one ever guesses how old I am, it was also fab when I was a goth when younger. On the negative side, occasionally I grow an extra head on my chin, no matter what skincare regime I use, and the contrast between pale skin and huge angry red spot means that everyone talks to it instead of me! sad

MrRected Wed 02-Jan-13 03:33:24

Two words.

Skin Cancer.

In the words of the Australian Cancer Council: Tanning = Skin Cells in Trauma.

And it's entirely possible to get skin cancer in Europe too...

drfayray Wed 02-Jan-13 02:55:14

My skin has been described as liquid chocolate. Take a look at my pic.
Everyone is beautiful whether they are pale or dark.
I don't understand the need to look orange !

MammaTJ Wed 02-Jan-13 02:49:38

I am a ginga and will always be more pale than anyone else because I try to protect my skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now