Am i being unseasonable to tell my dd,17, that until she stops farting and burping that i will not insure her on my car??!!!

(39 Posts)
Geranium3 Tue 01-Jan-13 18:32:16

I,ve just flipped today, dd,17, lounges around and seems to do non stop loud farts and burps. I'm no prude but she knows i don,t like it, i laugh along with the occassional rip but for nearly a year i,ve asked her to stop and show a little respect...... to no avail.She just cheeks me and carries on!!! I've tried ignoring her, she doesn,t even say sorry now. I know it sounds trivial and some of you will say it's fine by you but not for me!
Anyway just told her no insurance for her to learn to drive on my car, i am paying for weekly driving lessons, until she stops! May have done the trick though as she has gone off in a silent huff to her room, where she can fart and burp to her heart's delight!
But am i being an unseasonable mum??!!

complexnumber Wed 02-Jan-13 17:04:19

This will make such an interesting story to relate to guests, should your DD choose to get married and have a formal dinner with speeches.

juneybean Wed 02-Jan-13 17:00:19

YANBU, yes we all do it, but it doesn't need an audience.

Geranium3 Wed 02-Jan-13 16:55:19

oh i will euphemia!!!!!

Euphemia Wed 02-Jan-13 16:50:42

Well done!

Wait until she's 38 and make sure you tell her DH and DCs this little anecdote. wink

Geranium3 Wed 02-Jan-13 16:48:28

I feel like an enpowered mum today rather than an unseasonable mum thanks to your mainly supportive comments!!!
I know it is less than24hours since i first posted and dd has spent much of that sleeping off her new years hangover..... BUT... not one fart or burp has been passed in front of the family so maybe i have finally located dd's achilles heel!!!!
I'm going to let a week pass from the last loud public fart, then i will look into car insurance, so in the meantime i will be saving a little money and fingers crossed have a fragrant house!!!!
Thankyou!

Mockingcurl Wed 02-Jan-13 08:41:29

YANBU. I wish I had thought of that when my boys went through the burping, farting phase.
You go girl !

SomersetONeil Wed 02-Jan-13 08:34:52

I am, sadly, more flatulent than the average person and I think people who have zero tolerance levels for it probably don't know what it is like for the windier amongst us, but I still think YANBU.

She is not going to win herself many fans nor admirers if she goes out into the world honking like barbarian. I mean it's one thing to let rip in front of a long-term partner every now and then, but to be routinely emitting with nary a thought for your audience and their nostrils is rude and unseemly. No two ways about it.

I am a loud fartershock I hate it and nothing seems to avail it. BUT I am not proud of it and will leave the room or at least apologize! I've never found farting funny either, disgusting, necessary, but not fuuny.

YANBU.

JugsMcGee Wed 02-Jan-13 08:10:00

If I had to leave a room to fart then I'd never see anyone.

YANBU if she is forcing it out and thinking it's funny.

YABU if she needs to do it, surely your home is the one place you can relax and let it out? She should apologise though.

catgirl1976geesealaying Wed 02-Jan-13 08:05:33

No one burps or farts out loud in my house, it's grim

OP YANBU

lol at "pull my finger" tethers!

peaceandlovebunny Wed 02-Jan-13 05:03:50

fair, op, absolutely fair. she's in your house, she should behave as you wish. she's old enough to leave if she doesn't like it.

MrsMushroom Wed 02-Jan-13 05:02:00

yanbu it's disgusting. I had to almost bully my DH into respecting my wishes about doing it in private.

mrsjay Wed 02-Jan-13 00:08:28

yab a bit of both she has wind and lets it go she is being really rude in showing no manners though, my dd is the same she is vile sometimes really disgusting and thinks its funny, not sure about the insurance though maybe will let her see you are not laughing,

tethersjinglebellend Wed 02-Jan-13 00:02:59

Pull my finger.

shrimponastick Wed 02-Jan-13 00:02:40

Yanbu. If she wants adult privileges then she needs to act in am adult manner.

I think burping and particularly darting are gross. Not funny at all.

So there. ;)

TheFallenNinja Tue 01-Jan-13 23:58:36

Good for you. Your house, your rules.

nicefleece Tue 01-Jan-13 22:43:10

OP I salute you. Fantastic.

But farting and burping is HILARIOUS! My DS finds it very funny and so do I, although we both say pardon me.

He's 3 and I'm very childish though (plus I pay for my own insurance)

I think you're right. Driving a car is an adult and responsible thing to do, she should at least be behaving in an adult and responsible way. Either apologising for farting/burping, seeking some sort of help if it's a diet thing, or indeed just going out of the main reception room.

Seriously, if my mum was paying for me to be insured on her car when I was learning to drive, then I would have done anything at all in gratitude.

We haven't insured DS on my car because it's too ruddy expensive !

5dcsandallthelittlesantahats Tue 01-Jan-13 21:28:59

It depends really - if shes doing it in a loud comical way (ie like my BIL does when drunk) then YANBU.

If she is doing it because she has to (which everyone does) then yabu. Its all very well holding it in when people are there for a little bit but if she did it all the time then surely she would end up with stomach pains - or wait - is that just me....

oldpeculiar Tue 01-Jan-13 20:43:39

I'll have to try that with DH!

Geranium3 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:21:05

thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.
Judging by most of your comments i am not an unseasonable mum !

Well she controls it in front of her friends because it's good manners. It sounds to me like she doesn't respect you and your home at all. Yes we all burp and fart, but it's polite to at least fart in the bathroom or not in front of others imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now