Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

New Year fireworks

(62 Posts)
SESthebrave Tue 01-Jan-13 00:13:31

AIBU to think that in these times of austerity, the fireworks in London were a bit much?
I know we want to show London off to the rest of the world but I'm sure we could have saved a few million and only had fireworks for 5 mins instead of 10mins?

I know, I'm a killjoy aren't I?

DowntonSprouts Tue 01-Jan-13 12:52:10

I thought those fireworks were fantastic. The music was brilliant and the sound bytes from seb Coe etc were inspired. Loved the "mind the gap" bit when it all stopped then started again.

It was the final flourish to a magnificent year for London and the UK. I think we've showed the whole world a series of events that no where else can match. Never mind the Sydney Opera house, the setting last night is the most iconic location anywhere. It said we're British, we're proud and we know how to throw a party.

All this talk or austerity- do you think the right message to send out to the world is we're skint as a nation, heavily in debt and the Olympics have cost a bomb so we're just having a few bangers and a damp squid? They didn't put that display on for the thousands lining the Thames, they put it on to say to the world"come to London, the Olympics might be over but it's still cool, it's still happening and London is the place to visit! "

So whether it cost £50 k or £1m, you couldn't buy worldwide advertising and that sort of positive publicity for that.

AmberLeaf Tue 01-Jan-13 14:16:45

Bread and circuses.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Tue 01-Jan-13 14:31:32

I thought they were brilliant and a good toast to what was after all an absolutely fantastic summer. As others have said it sends out a message to the rest of the world of 'don't give up on the UK!'
You know, it's good to celebrate being British sometimes.

Nancy66 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:35:11

I want to know if the soundtrack was actually played at the scene or if it was just on the TV broadcast.

this is troubling me.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Tue 01-Jan-13 14:37:00

I think it was cos some people seemed to be dancing.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Tue 01-Jan-13 15:35:58

I would say it was a waste of money based on my hatred of white fireworks-They are just boring, whereas Dubai had a lovely aray of colours and much more effort with placement.

Ours, lets face it, big but boring and unispired, all over the place and colourless....and yes at times like this money could be better spent on other things!

Needless, wasteless and makes me sick to see so much money go down the drain in such a short amount of time. Not to mention the poor animals that suffer because of the bloody things.

Champagne on the other hand, is definetly not a waste of money, especially the cheaper stuffgrinwine

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 01-Jan-13 15:41:52

I watched the Edinburgh ones on the TV last night, they were brilliant.
Edinburgh has three days of events for NY and it attracts loads of tourists, when I used to go to the street party, everybody was a visitor.
I'm sure it makes a profit.

DowntonSprouts Tue 01-Jan-13 17:23:09

pumpkin I disagree about the fireworks but totally agree about the champagne!

Maybe it's because I'd had so much of it by midnight that I thought the fireworks were so good?

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Tue 01-Jan-13 17:28:13

Fireworks bore me and scare the crap out of DS so a tenner would be too much for me, but I appreciate I am probably not representative.

Montybojangles Tue 01-Jan-13 18:20:28

Bah humbug!
I thought they were great.

katiecubs Tue 01-Jan-13 18:28:44

They were bloody fantastic!

£52k though?! No way - at least a million IMO

It was brilliant and the BBC TV coverage was amazing. Certainly made my NY memorable and I'm sure many others too.

The BBC budget must have contributed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now