AIBU to expect my inlaws to

(57 Posts)
mum382013 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:18:43

bring a present for the kids to unwrap on Xmas day?
The send a card with £5 each child in a few days before. They came for lunch but brought nothing, not even a mars bar. They are not broke. They didn't even ask if they could bring anything for the table. But what really hurt was they brought nothing at all for the children. I think this is just rude. The kids were quite hurt that we gave them their pressies, some just from the kids, but they didn't bring anything for them. It didn't have to be anything expensive but something they choose for the kids themselves, they are their only grandchildren. AIBU? or is it me being sensitive?

poppycock6 Tue 01-Jan-13 00:30:08

That does seem a bit mean. Esp not contributing something for the meal either. Yanbu.

louisianablue2000 Tue 01-Jan-13 00:57:26

YANBU. I am really surprised that people are saying that it is Ok for grandparents to not give a gift to their grandchildren. Yes it's right to teach children to not demand a present but as adults can any of us imagine not wanting to give a gift to our putative grandchildren? If you were skint surely you'd make something if you couldn't afford to buy something. But honestly, how much does a paperback cost from Amazon?

ellee Tue 01-Jan-13 01:34:07

Jeez my in laws are a bit like this, there for xmas day wit 3yo and 20mo and what did they get? Dd nothing, ds..... A torch :/ very very odd in my book. It's christmas! I know they've "loads" and "don't need any more toys" but

It

Is

Christmas

Ffs go buy something small, the kids don't care it's just part of the fun and exitement.

Anyway, thewy're great in lots of ways so I keep my trap shut...

yousmell Tue 01-Jan-13 08:07:52

we are often given money and we are told to buy something for the kids and give it xmas day.

it does seem rather odd though and tight.

also bringing nothing yet expect a full day of Xmas food is a real no no.

yousmell Tue 01-Jan-13 08:08:45

Can you go to theirs for the meal next time? But open the gifts at home.

Nishky Tue 01-Jan-13 08:13:16

why not save the £5 and give it to them on Christmas day? as stated earlier that is what we do- envelopes with money and vouschers are shoved on the pile of presents

or buy something with the £5, wrap it and tell your inlaws to hand parcel to children when they come.

My bil works abroad, so he sent money, we bought and wrapped. ds is amaxed that a club penguin game was available in Florida grin

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 01-Jan-13 08:17:37

I would have been happy with a fiver, my son recived f all from either godparent which is pretty bad considering he is only one of two offspring on either side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now