to let my 8 year old watch Edward Scissorhands

(27 Posts)
elfyrespect Sun 30-Dec-12 14:46:41

I'd never really thought of it as a childrens' film, but here it is on in the afternoon and it's a PG.
I'm trying to think of any scenes that might be too... sexy? teenagery? dark?

It is a good fairytale though isn't it?
Okay for DCs?

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 14:48:32

I think I watched it at that age and spent the entire time asking questions. Wasn't frightened though. Just a lot of "YES Mummy...but WHY does he have scissor hands? How does he wee?" grin

kylesmybaby Sun 30-Dec-12 14:48:32

thinking the same for my 11 year old .. i havent seen it - is it scary? thanks

uptheamp Sun 30-Dec-12 14:49:35

kids like dark tales though, let him watch

RedHelenB Sun 30-Dec-12 14:53:01

Fine to watch imo

What channel? Stuck in bed and it's one of my faves....

LuluMai Sun 30-Dec-12 14:53:26

I'd say it's fine but they might find some bits boring/slow moving.

elfyrespect Sun 30-Dec-12 14:53:32

She doesn't know it's on so hasn't asked to see it.
I'm thinking I quite fancy curling up on the sofa to watch it.

elfyrespect Sun 30-Dec-12 14:54:30

channel 4 giblets.

I'll let my dc 7 watch it.

Ds9 has seen it, I don't think it's too scary or sexy but it is quite sad in parts

YABU 'cos it's a shit film grin <hates Johnny Depp>

Viviennemary Sun 30-Dec-12 15:02:13

I'd have nightmares myself if I watched it. So I'd say absolutely not.

NewAndSparklyMe Sun 30-Dec-12 15:02:27

I used to watch this film loads, I loved it. (I was in my teens, though.) There's nothing scary/sexual in it, although it is really sad in parts.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 30-Dec-12 15:03:45

Watching it now and about to get snuggled up on the couch with 15mo DS, it's a great story.

I was much younger when I watched it, probably about 4 or 5.

Booyhoo Sun 30-Dec-12 15:05:38

oh no NU at all. we watched ES with my cousins (who were younger) quite regularly as children at my house and my mum is quite big on things being age appropriate so it must have been ok. we all loved it. my younger cousin used to ask if he could stay with us just to watch it.

Booyhoo Sun 30-Dec-12 15:08:25

thanks for this thread. thread, i didn't know it was on so i'll record it on 4+1 and watch with the dcs later.

We're watching it

BrandonFlowersHoHoHo Sun 30-Dec-12 15:14:24

I'm watching it with my 5 year old. Think she's a bit of a Tim Burton film fanatic! Think the scariest bit is when she arrives at his house and he creeps out from the corner. Dd just said 'cool, look at his hands'

BrandonFlowersHoHoHo Sun 30-Dec-12 15:14:25

I'm watching it with my 5 year old. Think she's a bit of a Tim Burton film fanatic! Think the scariest bit is when she arrives at his house and he creeps out from the corner. Dd just said 'cool, look at his hands'

GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 15:29:50

My 8yos couldn't handle it, I remember feeling quite disturbed myself (saw it as older teen).

maddening Sun 30-Dec-12 15:32:29

Nothing scary - bit of a tear jerker - I would watch it.

My 8yr old and 11yr old are both loving it!!

Ds, 8, said he finds it a bit creepy but not scary grin

newyearnewattitude Sun 30-Dec-12 19:18:50

My three year old loved it (she also loves monster house and coraline) but I've been told I (accidentally) dress her like a tim Burton character and she likes the scary characters like wicked witch in enchanted best anyway...

JeezyOrangePips Sun 30-Dec-12 19:25:47

I don't think an 8 year old would be phased by Edward Scissorhands. It's really not scary/sexy.

Any doubts about a film, check imdb - they do a comprehensive parental guidance bit detailing the things that give it it's rating, so you can make an educated decision.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0099487/parentalguide

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now