To ask when you first started noticing signs of aging and what were they?

(61 Posts)
Croccy1979 Sun 30-Dec-12 11:38:23

Mine - it was dead on 30
Started getting grey hairs
Lines under my eyes
Cellulite and saggy bum
Lost the ability to eat what I like and not put weight on

Illgetmycoat Sun 30-Dec-12 23:32:41

My face started coming loose at the age of 35. Before that it was firmly stuck to my bones.

BalthierBunansa Sun 30-Dec-12 23:28:36

When I found several grey hairs at 18 years old grin

chandellina Sun 30-Dec-12 23:28:08

There are lots of signs along the way but I reckon we're all going to the same place and should enjoy the ride.

Plomino Sun 30-Dec-12 23:26:50

This Christmas , walking into Hollister and thinking there'd been a power cut . Then having a Fine Young Thing leap out from behind a yucca whilst blinding me with his Armand Hammer Ice White teeth , and ask me if I was buying for my grandson .

I'm fucking 41 FGS.

2kidsintow Sun 30-Dec-12 23:11:06

I vividly remember looking at my Great Aunt's hands and the skin on them, thinking what a difference there was between her shiny skin that showed creases and my skin that was matt and smooth. (I must have only been about 8).

Now I look at my DDs smooth and matt effect hands and compare them to mine.

I also remember a shopping trip when I was about 30 when I first realised how many lines I was getting in my forehead and around my eyes (shopping mirrors are not the best)

The amount of grey that I have also caught me by surprise the other day. I'm 38. DH thinks I should grow the grey out and stop dyeing it. I've told him I'm not considering that for at least another 10 years! (And then some)
And he hasn't even got the decency to have one grey hair! And he's older than me.

nokidshere Sun 30-Dec-12 23:03:12

I'm 52

I still look the same as I did in my 20's and 30's

don't I??????????????

BertieBotts Sun 30-Dec-12 22:58:04

But Greeny it doesn't look like that unless you usually sit on your partner's chest while you have sex with them grin Surely better to put the mirror on the floor and then look into it while lying on your front?

DP is 24 and has laughter lines and definite forehead wrinkles. I am the picture of youth <twirls>

Agent64 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:52:06

The past couple of years - especially in the last year. I'm late mid 40s.

General sagging. Face included - love the comment upthread about pillow face. Yup.

Hair thinning where I want it to be (on my bloody head). Sprouting elsewhere confused

2sugarsandadog Sun 30-Dec-12 18:07:07

This year, really.... and at 47 must be in denial. Grey hair doesn't count, OK, 'cos Boots can sort that out for you. But I have - all of a sudden, really - noticed bags. Not wrinkles, really, but backs under my eyes. So much so that when I pull my skin taut I look - ahem - quite a bit younger. Instead of old. Somewhat superficial after reading Tee's post .....

Now - 28. Realised I was spending a lot more money on expensive make-up yet still couldn't manage to look as good as I did as a skint student.

Although it might be down to stress hmm

Dogsmom Sun 30-Dec-12 17:50:46

First grey hair was at 23, I pulled it out and sellotaped it in my diary.

I feel better and more confident in my body now (37) than in my 20's BUT did feel old last year when I got called a MILF by some spotty schoolkid aged about 15 hmm DH thinks it was a compliment but it made me feel so old to realise that yes I could easily be a parent to a kid of that age.

MrsToddsShortcut Sun 30-Dec-12 17:21:04

Realising that the reason I wasn't invited for lunch/evenings out by my younger twentysomething colleagues, was that they viewed me (at 35 and pregnant) as a 'Mum', therefore part of the 'Older Generation'.

And realising quite a few years back that John Taylor is no longer 'too old for me' and that it would now be entirely respectable for me to date a member of Duran Duran (wives not withstanding grin)

LaLaGabby Sun 30-Dec-12 16:02:44

All late twenties:
Had to ask my younger sister to open an M&S sandwich for me.
Had to ask my pupil how to put my phone on silent.
Was meeting someone in the city centre for coffee, decided the only acceptable place was John Lewis cafe.

Teahouse Sun 30-Dec-12 15:49:32

40-started on HRT, couldn't shift my Buddha belly, started getting wrinkles around the eyes, and on my neck, plus the odd grey eyebrow hair (& pubic if I'm honest!).

Iceaddict Sun 30-Dec-12 15:48:39

30! Loads of grey hairs and 2 laughter lines sad

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Sun 30-Dec-12 15:47:42

At 37.5 it seemed as though everything started falling apart: I hurt my back and had some dental problems. I now do Pilates once a week and floss daily.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 30-Dec-12 15:44:00

32/33, slight crows feet, and creasing on my chest when I first get up in the morning. Now at nearly 38 I have started to notice slight jowls (yuck) and the odd pure white eyebrow hair which I pluck, and slightly flat saggy arse. No grey hair yet though.

VestaCurry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:40:50

Late 20's. lost 2 stone and noticed a very slight slackness of skin on my neck just above my throat. Was gutted! Probably a lesson in not gaining weight and keeping weight stable throughout life!

redexpat Sun 30-Dec-12 15:38:47

Oh and when having your eyebrows waxed the beautician says 'do you want me to do your upper lip and chin too?'

redexpat Sun 30-Dec-12 15:38:01

I found a white pube.

PessaryPam Sun 30-Dec-12 15:10:50

Sagging under the chin, that jowly look. It's got bad now and I am nearly 55. I have a friend whose late 40s and her chin sag is worse though, not that that's much help.

My skin is doing okay but has a few fine lines and wrinkles and a duller look than my dewy youthful heyday.

The biggest sign of ageing is how long it takes to get over anything out of the ordinary. So tiring more easily and two-day hangovers if I become one of those embarassing 40 somthings that still thinks they look sexy dancing on tables after a bottle or two of wine.

Noticing very handsome 20 somethings and they no longer notice me - that one is quite tough on the old ego.

TraineeBabyCatcher Sun 30-Dec-12 15:01:22

Physically- nothing as yet.
Mentally- going back to school after having ds and feeling that everyone was acting like immature idiots and wondering what had happened.
Being a mum from 15 and finding many teenage things silly.
Seeing the college kids this year and thinking they looked about 12.

But I still don't feel like an adult, even with a 5 year old son, a long term partner, a house, a car, bills to pay etc.

MsVestibule Sun 30-Dec-12 14:09:06

Physically - first grey hair at 30ish, but didn't really make me feel/look old. I continued to look as gorgeous as ever throughout my 30s wink but I swear the day that I hit 40 (nearly 2 years ago) was when it all started to go downhill.

I've always had an apple shape, but a few weeks on WW would shift it easily. Not now. I've avoided sunbathing since my early twenties, so fortunately don't have any wrinkles, but have definitely developed that jowly look. It won't be long before I'm an anonymous middle aged woman that nobody gives a second glance to in the street <sad and vain emoticon>.

Mentally, I've always been very old, so my actual age has probably just about caught up with my mental age!!!

cheekybaubles Sun 30-Dec-12 14:06:43

White pubes, sooo not funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now