To ask when you first started noticing signs of aging and what were they?

(61 Posts)
Croccy1979 Sun 30-Dec-12 11:38:23

Mine - it was dead on 30
Started getting grey hairs
Lines under my eyes
Cellulite and saggy bum
Lost the ability to eat what I like and not put weight on

juniperdewdrop Sun 30-Dec-12 13:08:19

I'm 44 and I'd say it's a bit of sagging on my face I've noticed, around the mouth. I don't have wrinkles or grey hair yet but that's genes. I'm usually taken for at least 10 years younger.

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Sun 30-Dec-12 13:15:11

28. The skin around my eyes, mouth and jaw line just doesn't seem as firm as it did a few years ago.

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Sun 30-Dec-12 13:15:41

And also being diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 28. THAT made me feel bloody old. sad

sudaname Sun 30-Dec-12 13:25:07

I looked much older than l was in my twenties - l seemed to have crows feet very young and having jet black hair got very early grey hairs showing - early twenties.
But strangely and luckily for me it all seemed to slow down then and l grew into my face age iykwim in my thirties. Then right up into my late forties still had an early thirties face and often got mistaken for DDs sister etc etc.

Then l hit 50 -mid fifties now - and although l still only have a few wrinkles and no deep ones at that, so face wise cant complain really but my body has just got that horrible thick waisted barrel shape that l hate and have always dreaded. l just cant shake it off. Up to being 50 l was a perfect size 10 and am 5ft 8 so really slim.

And l had a waist <sobs>

GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 13:27:09

19: grey hairs and wrinkles.
Other bits of me slowly degrading throughout my 20s.
38: middle age spread and slight hearing loss
42: needed glasses
44: drooping jows appeared

CaptChaos Sun 30-Dec-12 13:32:29

37 - my metabolism wandered off to look for something, and never came back!

DoNotDisturb Sun 30-Dec-12 13:36:46

Autumnchill what is your new skin regime then? My wrinkles need it!

Sallyingforth Sun 30-Dec-12 13:38:31

erm - I can't quite remember...

thebody Sun 30-Dec-12 13:48:13

When your mumsnet name is now ironic!

teamboleyn Sun 30-Dec-12 13:57:26

It's taking longer and longer for my face to settle and lose the pillow marks in the morning.

OddBoots Sun 30-Dec-12 14:04:25

I'm still living in blissful ignorance.

cheekybaubles Sun 30-Dec-12 14:06:43

White pubes, sooo not funny

MsVestibule Sun 30-Dec-12 14:09:06

Physically - first grey hair at 30ish, but didn't really make me feel/look old. I continued to look as gorgeous as ever throughout my 30s wink but I swear the day that I hit 40 (nearly 2 years ago) was when it all started to go downhill.

I've always had an apple shape, but a few weeks on WW would shift it easily. Not now. I've avoided sunbathing since my early twenties, so fortunately don't have any wrinkles, but have definitely developed that jowly look. It won't be long before I'm an anonymous middle aged woman that nobody gives a second glance to in the street <sad and vain emoticon>.

Mentally, I've always been very old, so my actual age has probably just about caught up with my mental age!!!

TraineeBabyCatcher Sun 30-Dec-12 15:01:22

Physically- nothing as yet.
Mentally- going back to school after having ds and feeling that everyone was acting like immature idiots and wondering what had happened.
Being a mum from 15 and finding many teenage things silly.
Seeing the college kids this year and thinking they looked about 12.

But I still don't feel like an adult, even with a 5 year old son, a long term partner, a house, a car, bills to pay etc.

My skin is doing okay but has a few fine lines and wrinkles and a duller look than my dewy youthful heyday.

The biggest sign of ageing is how long it takes to get over anything out of the ordinary. So tiring more easily and two-day hangovers if I become one of those embarassing 40 somthings that still thinks they look sexy dancing on tables after a bottle or two of wine.

Noticing very handsome 20 somethings and they no longer notice me - that one is quite tough on the old ego.

PessaryPam Sun 30-Dec-12 15:10:50

Sagging under the chin, that jowly look. It's got bad now and I am nearly 55. I have a friend whose late 40s and her chin sag is worse though, not that that's much help.

redexpat Sun 30-Dec-12 15:38:01

I found a white pube.

redexpat Sun 30-Dec-12 15:38:47

Oh and when having your eyebrows waxed the beautician says 'do you want me to do your upper lip and chin too?'

VestaCurry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:40:50

Late 20's. lost 2 stone and noticed a very slight slackness of skin on my neck just above my throat. Was gutted! Probably a lesson in not gaining weight and keeping weight stable throughout life!

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 30-Dec-12 15:44:00

32/33, slight crows feet, and creasing on my chest when I first get up in the morning. Now at nearly 38 I have started to notice slight jowls (yuck) and the odd pure white eyebrow hair which I pluck, and slightly flat saggy arse. No grey hair yet though.

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Sun 30-Dec-12 15:47:42

At 37.5 it seemed as though everything started falling apart: I hurt my back and had some dental problems. I now do Pilates once a week and floss daily.

Iceaddict Sun 30-Dec-12 15:48:39

30! Loads of grey hairs and 2 laughter lines sad

Teahouse Sun 30-Dec-12 15:49:32

40-started on HRT, couldn't shift my Buddha belly, started getting wrinkles around the eyes, and on my neck, plus the odd grey eyebrow hair (& pubic if I'm honest!).

LaLaGabby Sun 30-Dec-12 16:02:44

All late twenties:
Had to ask my younger sister to open an M&S sandwich for me.
Had to ask my pupil how to put my phone on silent.
Was meeting someone in the city centre for coffee, decided the only acceptable place was John Lewis cafe.

MrsToddsShortcut Sun 30-Dec-12 17:21:04

Realising that the reason I wasn't invited for lunch/evenings out by my younger twentysomething colleagues, was that they viewed me (at 35 and pregnant) as a 'Mum', therefore part of the 'Older Generation'.

And realising quite a few years back that John Taylor is no longer 'too old for me' and that it would now be entirely respectable for me to date a member of Duran Duran (wives not withstanding grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now