To dare you to tell me how much weight you've put on!?

(160 Posts)

10lbs and it's not even new year yet!!!

JazzyTheSnowman Sun 30-Dec-12 15:26:13

I've put on 3lb, making me a nice round 14st. And trust me, I'm reallllllllllly ROUND!
(bah dum tssh)

Weight Watchers in the New Year.

FloweryDrawers Sun 30-Dec-12 15:23:10

9lbs here - although that's over more than just Christmas because it started with a run of birthdays and celebrations at the end of Nov. I consciously decided to just worry about it in the New Year. Not too worried about losing it again as Christmas food, wine, chocolate, etc. are different from the sort of thing I usually eat, and if the bloody weather ever settles I'll be able to get out properly walking again. It'll be gone in a month or so.

catsrus Sun 30-Dec-12 14:45:35

Don't hate me smile i haven't put on any weight - and I've eaten a good sampling of everything on offer - work do's, christmas cake, stollen, pavlova, cheesecake leading up to christmas plus lots of wine. Christmas day itself I had the works, including roast potatoes, xmas pud etc. I've worked my way through after eights (it seems my limit is now 13 in one session blush and luxury chocs plus the wine and neat advocaat (alcoholic custard - bliss). I don't feel a bit deprived as I've had a bit of everything (and an excess of some things!) but clearly have not overdone it.

I've been following this way of eating since august (link is to MN thread) and have lost 22lb (from size16 to 12). Over christmas I haven't counted calories (apart from totting up the after 8's to being over 500 blush) but I have restricted the time frame within which I eat - trying not to eat anything until late afternoon and then eat nothing after about 9ish (apart from drinks). I've not managed it every day - but it looks like I've done enough to keep the weight stable (rather than continue to lose as i have been).

As I've been doing it since August I've got used to the whole 'fasting' thing and it doesn't bother me any more. for me the big discovery is a way of eating long term that doesn't involve 'going on a diet' and then falling off the wagon - it doesn't suit everyone but might be worth a try for anyone who's stuck as I was with post-menopausal podge.

BooCanary Sun 30-Dec-12 14:30:38

Also we normally do lots of walking over Xmas week, which helps to balance out the chocolate and wine, but thanks to the fecking constant torrential rain, we have only managed to get one very wet hour long walk in. We are desperate for some fresh air and exercise bloody Wales!

BooCanary Sun 30-Dec-12 14:25:59

Lost 8lbs before Xmas due to Bastard Flu, and generally eating nothing other than porridge and cupasoup for a fortnight. Have put on 6lb over Xmas - have been STARVING for the past week now I'm feeling much better, and unfortunately the food on offer has been pretty unhealthy/calorific! Tbh, I'm pretty surprised I haven't put more weight on.

Turniphead1 Sun 30-Dec-12 14:23:19

6lbs! Luckily I was at my lowest weight before Xmas - but still it's amazing how much the booze and chocolates can add over a week. shock

Bearfrills Sun 30-Dec-12 14:17:26

I don't eat more at Christmas/New Year or eat when I'm not hungry it's just the types of food I have this time of year IYSWIM? I don't generally have butter, goose fat, wine with my roast dinner, buffet food (the staple of every Christmas party), Christmas pudding, etc and people don't tend to give us family-sized boxes of chocolates and biscuits except at Christmas. So for me it's type of food rather than quantity.

I've been on SW since August so my usual intake is lots of vegetables and fruit, pasta, lean meat, fish, etc with occasional treats. I knew it was going to be more difficult to keep going at Christmas so I maintained control by deciding in advance that I wouldn't deny myself but I would make good choices wherever possible (e.g., nice Christmas satsuma instead of lebkuchen) and be self-limiting with not-so-good choices (e.g., having one biscuit and enjoying it instead of half a pack) and for all the rest simply accept that it is once a year and the important thing is to get back on the plan afterwards.

If it's constant and the weight gain is the start of more weight gain then that's when it's a problem. If it's Christmas weight that will gradually shift when normal programming resumes then it's fine.

Isn't it normal/healthy for weight to fluctuate by +/- 7lbs anyway? Or so my GP says.

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 30-Dec-12 14:15:40

Oh and Angel Delight and Trifle...how could I have forgotten those! shock

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 30-Dec-12 14:14:05

I think we just buy a lot more too.

I was thinking about my parent's Christmas food shopping and apart from the turkey and all the trimmings, it would have gone something like this (for 7 of us)

Tinned fruit and condensed milk (dessert for xmas dinner)
Satsumas
Mixed nuts (the type you needed a nutcracker for)
Small Angel cake
Mince pies
Crisps
Sausage rolls
Pure orange juice (xmas morning treat)
Tin of salmon
various cold meats for sandwiches

That was about it as far as I remember? And we were dizzy with excitement about it! I don't remember seeing tins of Quality Street/Roses etc in the shops. We'd get selection boxes from Aunts and Uncles though.

There were no huge supermarkets so most of that ^^ had to be bought in separate shops that involved hours of queuing...and no massive fridges and huge freezers so it mostly had to be bought a couple of days before.

I'm 43 by the way...though I'm aware this post makes me sound about 80 blush

I never put on weight over the Festive as I have to walk lots. We live rurally and the nearest place to buy milk etc is nearly 4 miles away and I dont drive. Our bus only runs once a week over xmas/ny so we have no choice but to walk as taxis are ridiculously expensive and really not worth it unless you've done a massive shop. Unfortunately it was impossinle to get an asda delivery for the last 2 weeks so we've been eating out the freezer which thankfully I keep stocked with a couple months worth in case we get snowed in. Also dh has eaten every last scrap of christmas fayre in the house and I have barely had the chance to eat anything naughty hmm

Rooney/worra I can't keep eating once I'm full and don't pile my plate with food but I find at Christmas there are lots of snacky things about so I'll have some cheese and crackers, some cold meats, some crisps, some chocolates, biscuits, a mince pie, oh and there's cream in the fridge so I'll have some in my coffee. Glass of wine with lunch? Why not, I don't have to be anywhere. Cup of tea and christmas cake. Dinner. More wine. A post dinner drink. I don't eat much more in quantity but consume tons more calories.

Better now I'm back in my own home though, a lot of the eating/drinking is social for me and I don't have puddings at home or drink alone so calorie consumption vastly reduces.

Big meal with friends tomorrow and then I will go back to my normal pattern of three (mostly) healthy meals a day, few snacks, little alcohol.

I don't think my weight has vastly increased but I feel a lot flabbier and unhealthy.

FredFredGeorge Sun 30-Dec-12 13:54:22

RooneyMara There was a recent study that showed encouraging people to eat veg actually increased the total calories they consumed - the very low satiety of most veg just increased hunger so they continued eating satiating food in addition. Not really surprising as something like a carrot soup isn't actually that healthy, so not surprising it doesn't satiate.

An upbringing that focused on "cleaning your plate" during food shortage time is another powerful motivation on eating beyond hunger, seen quite commonly in children who grew up during particular food shortages (e.g. 2nd world war)

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 30-Dec-12 13:42:17

sponge I think she needs to shift her focus from food to something else...though that's far easier said than done. I've known her since we were kids and her family were always very food orientated. All 4 siblings and her Mum are obese though strangely her Dad has always been thin.

It's just horrible to have seen her battle with her weight all her life and still get nowhere with it sad

Her DH is lovely though and loves her inside out no matter what, though sadly their only child is obese too and has fertility problems the same as her Mum.

Autumnchill Sun 30-Dec-12 13:37:12

Not rude at all smile

RooneyMara Sun 30-Dec-12 13:35:51

Oh sorry x posts - thanks Fred. Yes people are different - my family orders massive portions they know they don't really want, then complain about being full, and try and finish regardless.

I can't bear it. I do live on chocolate a lot of the time though. My eating is well screwed up - I think at some point I realised I could have the nice stuff as long as I didn't force myself to eat the healthy things as well. blush

I might be slim but my cholesterol is probably sky high.

RooneyMara Sun 30-Dec-12 13:33:00

That makes sense, Autumn - thanks for explaining and sorry if I sounded really rude.

worra I used to be like your friend but after losing two stone I'm getting better at reigning myself in and saying enough is enough! Now to get rid of all those sweets, where can I put them haha!

FredFredGeorge Sun 30-Dec-12 13:30:13

RooneyMara But people simply don't just eat to hunger - there are other reasons, the big one at Christmas is for reward. Drugs that make the brain happier are sought out (Caffeine in Chocolate, Alcohol in wine/beer/etc.) and you get the calories that come with them seperate from the hunger mechanisms, and the brain also triggers the reward system after the consumption of very sweet and high fat goods. (Probably a relic to less calorie available times when they would've been particularly valuable to an animal, it's common through most omnivorous animals.)

So chocolate which is sweet, fatty, and caffeinated is a very rewarding food - it's also why as you get a taste for chocolate you tend to go for darker and darker chocolate (favouring the extra caffeine over the sweetness)

Understanding why you eat (and the reward system and hunger aren't the only ones) an what the palatibility and satiability of food is would think would help a lot of people. Rather than just telling them to "eat less" or have "5-a-day" or whatever.

kinkyfuckery Sun 30-Dec-12 13:28:51

Had SW weigh in on 27th, first time since 12th, and have gained 2.5lbs in that time. My overall loss for December was 0.5lbs off. Not great, but not as bad as it could be. Am back on plan now, but probably have a day or two off for NY wine

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 30-Dec-12 13:26:33

I'm the same as you Rooney, if I'm not actually hungry then I don't see the point in eating...infact I don't think I could actually eat if I wasn't hungry? I might swipe a chocolate from the tin if I'm passing and fancy something sweet, but it probably would be one or two at the most.

We're all wired differently though as human beings. My best friend for example will eat when she's bored/because it's free/because it's there/because it's nice/because she's fed up etc. But as a direct result of over eating, she's morbidly obese and has been trying/wanting to lose weight for over 20 years.

Different strokes and all that.

kaumana Sun 30-Dec-12 13:26:26

None - thanks to contracting the Noro virus on Boxing Day. Ugh

Half a stone! I came on to start the same thread after weighing myself then doing the shred, I am genuinely sick of the sight of sweets and rich food now though.

Autumnchill Sun 30-Dec-12 13:22:13

Rooney, I do SW all year round but at Christmas I'll have chocolates, biscuits, crackers, pate, cheese, alcohol, all unmeasured and without restraint. Because of this I'll put on weight.

However, went to SW today and got weighed and have managed to lose 1lb and therefore get my target of being lighter at the end of 2012 than when I started it. I celebrated with a pasta and sauce grin

RooneyMara Sun 30-Dec-12 13:19:18

Hope that post didn't sound insufferably awful. It's a genuine question. blush

RooneyMara Sun 30-Dec-12 13:18:23

I never quite understood why people put on weight at Christmas.

Surely if you just eat when you're hungry and stop when you've had enough, you'll stay within a reasonable limit?

I can't imagine eating more than I want, or can, just because the food is especially nice iyswim. How do you fit it in?

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and haven't put any on in the last few weeks, which is a bit odd in itself, mind you since being pregnant I've put on about 2 3/4 stone. I have a lot of water retention though, you can see about an inch indentation when I take off my socks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now