To think tights just don't stay up?

(78 Posts)
ditziness Mon 10-Dec-12 23:09:03

They are a con! Regardless of what style or brand I'm hoiking at my gusset all bloody day! Need two pairs of knickers to keep them up, or tuck them in my bra strap. Advice please! What makes and styles are good for which heights and sizes? If you have a pair of tights that fit and are comfy, enlighten us. We need a definitive list.

mrsmellow Tue 11-Dec-12 08:00:00

Goodness, I've never had a problem with my tights falling down. M+S all the way! Stockings for date night (not hold ups - they do bloody well fall down, after giving you an unsightly burn at the plastic bit at the top! and on that note, does anyone else get skin burn from the plastic on strapless bra?)

BatmanLovesDaysOff Tue 11-Dec-12 08:12:18

M&S opaque for me too. I size up, as the ones that ought to fit me tend to roll, which is massively annoying when stuck in a class of 30 10 years olds with a male TA...

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Tue 11-Dec-12 08:28:12

Yes, that plastic on strapless bras itches and gives me huge welts. I hate strapless bras, I have never yet seen one which doesn't makes my boobs look like squished sausages or alternatively all pointy shaped like Jayne Mansfield.

thebitchdoctor Tue 11-Dec-12 08:31:34

I wear leggings instead as tights, tights itch me massively never mind constantly falling down!

KatAndKit Tue 11-Dec-12 08:32:48

I am so glad I am not the only one wearing two pairs of pants with tights!

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Tue 11-Dec-12 08:33:46

I always think it's funny that stockings are seen as sexy clothing - I never wear them for that reason (well I am single, chance would be a fine thing anyway <bitter> )

I realised the other day that do not own one pair of trousers. I have jeans, leggings, chinos, cropped trouser things and shorts but not one pair of smart trousers to wear to work. And I never used to wear skirts, just in the last couple of years I much prefer skirts and dresses to anything else.

NumericalMum Tue 11-Dec-12 08:39:41

You don't get thrush if you buy ones with breathable gussets.
I don't size up but buy mainly M&S (found primark ones awful) and I pull the waistband up really really high. Perfect. The bodyshaper ones are amazing too!

LittleToyMakingMachine Tue 11-Dec-12 09:08:58

I love the Primark fleece lined tights. They're so, so warm. I also size up so they don't fall down or settle under my baby pouch.
I didn't know about breathable gusset tights (bleurgh at 'gusset'). Really they should just make them crotchless.

HorraceTheChristmasOtter Tue 11-Dec-12 09:16:11

Those fleece lined ones are AMAZING! Much warmer than several of my pairs of trousers. Sizing up is the key. I need XL whatever waist size I am so the legs are long enough, fall down in 5 minutes otherwise.

Isandri Tue 11-Dec-12 09:49:14

i second stockings. Go to somewear like www.stockingshq.com and get a 6 strap suspender belt. If you wear one of those you'll have no problems. Don't both with the "sexy/fashion" suspender belts you see in the shops at this time of year as they'll twist and slide down. The ones fron stockingshq are not a pretty but they work.

Ephiny Tue 11-Dec-12 09:55:44

I don't think I've worn tights since I was at school, but don't remember any problems with them falling down. As an adult I've worn hold-ups on the odd occasion I've had to wear a dress, and they stay up fine.

FutureNannyOgg Tue 11-Dec-12 10:00:30

I'm with the stockings crew. 6 strap garter belt from Kiss Me Deadly or What Katie Did. No sagging, no thrush and if you ladder one, no need to chuck the pair.

MsElleTow Tue 11-Dec-12 10:22:40

I bought some wooly ones from Next. I'm only 5ft4 and they don't even come up to the top of my pubes! Christ only knows who they were made for!

ditziness Tue 11-Dec-12 10:26:43

but stockings don't work if your skirts are above the knee, which most of mine are. I want to be sure if I'm showing my bum accidentally on occasion then it's covered. I also like wearing coloured opaques mainly, in nice bright colours, and stockings don't seem to come in opaque colours.

I mainly wear these these tights in XL, and they are the best of a bad bunch. The legs are actually too long for me, and fall down around the feet and ankles so I'm hoiking them up, and if I leave them too long they eventually fall down too. But the waistband mainly stays put, and they are nice colours and don't ladder much. If I wear the large though the aren't long enough in the leg, so fall down constantly.

Chandon Tue 11-Dec-12 10:32:07

What is your shape? I find having "proper" hips is good for something here, being apple shaped it is harder. Being very slim hardest, especially if you have slim hips.

I am 6 ft pear shaped and find M&S velvet touch tights to be the ONLY ones that stay up all day! I buy a size L ( am size 12-14)

Hth!

I've given up on tights. Leggings are so much better and last longer.

Mind you I might try M&S velvet ones now..........

ditziness Tue 11-Dec-12 10:36:31

yes chanson, that's what I'm after, your size, height, shape and what tights you wear!

I'm 5ft 8, houglass shape, and size 18. and as I said, I've found John Lewis 60 d opaque in XL are tolerable. Any better offers?

ditziness Tue 11-Dec-12 10:37:41

I find leggings go baggy at the knees pretty after 1 or 2 wears

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Tue 11-Dec-12 10:38:19

M&S tights are the only ones that work for me. I get the XL ones as I'm a size 16 and the smaller sizes lie just don't fit.

ISeeThreadPeople Tue 11-Dec-12 10:41:26

Tights never fall down on me. Only when pregnant as my waist is bigger than my hips but otherwise I have never, ever had tights fall down.

I guess I must be the 7% of the population they're designed to fit. They should do some kind of combination. Like jumper dresses and those hats with scarves/pockets built in. We need tights with braces. Traces? Brights?

How about crotchless tights? No more tugging at the gusset, no sweaty betties, no thrush. And if you go commando you don't even need to take them town to have a pee. Just a thought.

swanthingafteranother Tue 11-Dec-12 10:56:48

I agree.
Spent yesterday hoiking up tights. I am 5ft 10.

Tbh the only ones that stay up are the Aran Jumper type which are basically ski-trousers not tights at all. I have a very nice pair of Peacocks that stay up in a cable knit grey.

Worst offenders are the very soft semi-opaque stretchy kind where the waistband starts folding over and over and over and sliding down... Or the very lacy kind that have no stretch at all and just behave like armour plating when the rivets are rusted.

ditziness Tue 11-Dec-12 10:59:35

i'm not prone to thrush, wear tights a lot and never get a sweaty crotch, so crotchless tights don't appeal!

Isandri Tue 11-Dec-12 11:08:00

ditziness. You really need to go to stockingd hq. They have opaques, patterned and different leg lenghts. I've managed to wear skirts that are mid thigh with stockings and have never knowily flashed my legs. I've even managed to spend all night dancing salsa without flashing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now