To be looking forward to the teen years?

(69 Posts)
slatternlymother Sat 08-Dec-12 17:35:47

And I'm not wishing the time away. I'm not.

DS is 2 and genuinely a nice child; I enjoy looking after him and we all get on really well as a family.

But sometimes I look forward to the days when we can chat about stuff, go to the cinema to see a movie we'll all enjoy and take him out for a proper meal. Peppa Pig (and the constant chatter about it) can be a bit wearing...

AIBU? Tell me about your lovely teens smile

Chandon Sun 09-Dec-12 16:39:33

IME, primary age ( esp 8,9,10) is wonderful.

They are still a child, yet more aware and interested in the outside world.

Just had a special day out with DS1, age 10, and we had such a nice time together!

I love 10

BreconBeBuggered Sun 09-Dec-12 16:30:21

Long discussions into the early hours about current affairs, relationships and general crap with your witty teen are unbeatable.
Long waits into the early hours for the call to drive into the middle of fuck knows where to pick them up after a night out are unbearable.

Yabu. It's hell.

Flossiechops Sun 09-Dec-12 15:57:30

My dd is 9 and ds 8, they are marvellous ages imo. They think I'm wonderful and listen to what I'm telling them. Ds has a fantastic dry sense of humour and dd is unbelievably sweet. Teenage years I foresee them hating me and never listening to me so I think yabu!

HairyGrotter Sun 09-Dec-12 15:51:08

YANBU...DD is 4 and I adore her personality, she makes me laugh and laugh. I enjoying seeing her grow and become her own person, so I'm really looking forward to the next phases, teens included smile

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Sun 09-Dec-12 15:37:32

I liked the toddler age. The little eager faces, the sweetness, their wonder in everything. Although saying my youngest ds was the devil incarnate as a baby/toddler.

My latest teenager is ds4 who's 13. He's a gorgeous little dude. Very much like me in his ways so we can argue till the cows come home but he's so loving, funny and caring.

But don't be fooled OP there can be hellish times in those teenage years. I could have happily throttled ds2 a thousand times over in his teenage years.
he's not much better now

thekidsrule Sun 09-Dec-12 15:25:06

innoparticularorder
Must be just me who would love to swap my two teenagers for 2 toddlers.

nope me as well

GinSoakedMu1berryLush Sun 09-Dec-12 11:56:02

I am too. I know there'll be challenges, but i think being the mother of teenagers will suit MY personality better. I have always wanted my children to be independent. I prefer having conversations (or sort of) than coo-ing over play dough creations.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sun 09-Dec-12 11:53:36

Ds has a girlfriend, they had their 'one month' anniversary the other day.smile.
I do dread the future sometimes when I read MIL threads on here, I hope he chooses a long time partner that likes me.

bruffin yy to the sharing with GF, you have to learn great diplomacy. Makes me read all the MIL bashing threads in a whole different light.

bruffin Sun 09-Dec-12 11:04:16

Oh dear damn phone, no meant his gf. She is lovely so hopefully she won't be "history" too soon

DecAndAnt Sun 09-Dec-12 10:52:17

bruffin history gf? Does he have a different one for each subject?

littlewhitebag Sun 09-Dec-12 09:23:19

My DD are 15 and 20. DD1 is at uni and is coming home today for the holiday period. I am so looking forward to it as she and i are so alike (which can also lead to some clashes at times) and she is a lot of fun to have around. DD2 is a gem and she loves spending time with me. I feel i have been very lucky!

TobyLerone Sun 09-Dec-12 09:10:38

DS is 13 and the loveliest boy! DD is 11 and recently a hellbeast. So it doesn't always follow that they're easier when they get older!

I know what you mean, though. I'd prefer to deal with DD's attitude/arsiness/yelling/rudeness every day than amuse a toddler.

bruffin Sun 09-Dec-12 09:03:04

My teens are lovely as well. The only thing is you have to start sharing them with gf/bf.
DS 17 is just going out for the day to celebrate his one year anniversary with his history gf.

VictorAndBarry Sun 09-Dec-12 09:01:52

Teens can be olvely. I have two. One cooks all the time is rubbsih at tidying up after though and is a very nice person. He doesn't particularly want to spend time out of the house with me, but would if asked.

One is 15. She loves me - I really mean that, loves my company, etc. and I hers.

Not all teens are awful.

wordfactory Sun 09-Dec-12 08:56:46

I'm enjoying my DC's teens...so far grin.

They are still in bed this morning for a start. You can leave them in the hosue alone. You can ask them to make you a cup of tea.

There are big issues for them obviously _ sexuality, body image, drugs, alcohol, but I do feel it's worth not worrying obeself to distraction, to keep talking, talking, talking and if at all possible to ensure they're busy.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 09-Dec-12 08:42:20

Yay, kindred spirits! I love love love having my two teens around. they are interesting and funny in a way that it has taken till now to become. Definitely my favourite age.

I went through a hard time (nothing to do with the kids) and ended up at the doctor. She asked me about my kids and what age they were. When I told her she nodded sympathetically and said 'that must be hard'. It took me a moment to figure out what she meant. This is by far thd best age IMO (so far, but it'll be hard to beat!)

Have just thought of an advantage. DS1 (13)- is still asleep at 8.20am on a Sunday morning, and will be for the next few hours probably. DS2 loves his sleep too so that's good. grin

lovebunny Sun 09-Dec-12 07:54:05

there are years in between when you can have a proper chat. start now! he probably thinks peppa pig is all you're capable of.

exexpat Sat 08-Dec-12 23:37:08

DS (14) is actually interesting to talk to these days, we sometimes like the same films and TV series, and we go to festivals together (just the two of us) and sometimes go right down the front for bands we both like. His friends are reasonably civilised too.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sat 08-Dec-12 23:33:20

I did enjoy all the stages of my ds growing up, but must admit I've loved the teen years.
He get's my jokes, he truly understands when I can't afford to get him something, he really is a perfect companion , he's 17 and we do seem to be kindred spirits.
He'll be off to Uni next year sad
That will be a whole other thread.

threesocksfullofchocs Sat 08-Dec-12 23:32:32

when ds was a tot I didn't see the point of being a parent to a teen lol
but once I he got there, such fun.
I really think the teen years and after are some of the best,
he is in his 20's now and I really enjoy him

innoparticularorder Sat 08-Dec-12 23:30:15

Must be just me who would love to swap my two teenagers for 2 toddlers.

SirBoobAlot Sat 08-Dec-12 23:25:30

Hmm. If DS is similar to my 15 year old brother, there may be hope. He's a total tit sometimes, but generally he's actually a lovely lad. He will even hug me in public now shock grin

I kind of know what you mean, but actually find I can do some of that now DS is three. He's a very curious child, wants to know everything, and loves learning, so we go out to museums and art galleries. He told me off recently for going to the British Museum without him!

I've enjoyed DS much more since we've started being able to interact and do things properly together, and I really can't wait for that to just continue to increase smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now