to think schools should do less christmas stuff

(17 Posts)
sarahseashell Fri 07-Dec-12 14:23:48

I realise this may be controversial but I think the teachers run themselves ragged doing more and more things for christmas which then generates more and more for the parents and everyone is flustered whereas how bothered actually are the dcs?
less is more I say
wink

Rollmops Fri 07-Dec-12 15:38:42

What do teachers 'do' and what is it that parents have 'more' confused

sarahseashell Fri 07-Dec-12 15:45:05

this that and the other - lets dress up as a reindeer/design our own cards/have a special christmas photo/fill in this form to sing at the shopping centre/just bring in some cakes/five different collections/bring in seven items for the christmas fair/collect children at different times of day than usual/wear your own clothes/bring in a wrapped present for charity/learn these carols/bring some glitter in and cardboard tubes/etc etc. no need for it all

somuchslimmernow Fri 07-Dec-12 15:46:42

Dont worry that all stops dead at secondary school, in fact you would think xmas did not even exist. Know what you mean though and quite agree.

ThatArtfulPussy Fri 07-Dec-12 15:46:55

opens packet of humbugs, sits back

Would you like one, OP?

SnowWide Fri 07-Dec-12 15:47:50

Oh god yes! YANBU. I need a separate social diary to keep up with all the school demands. Its relentless.

DD was carolling me in mid November! Whondo they have to startnso early and why do they do so much??!

SnowWide Fri 07-Dec-12 15:48:32

Ooh yuck at that last sentence. iPad going stir crazy...shameful.

Sock drive/penny drive/sing at the local whatever/charity blah/nativity/buy a poinsettia. I don't even have a school age child and I have to get involved in all this cobblers.

Agree it stops totally dead at secondary

threesocksfullofchocs Fri 07-Dec-12 15:50:08

yabu
my dd is in sixth form at an sn school, and we still love the fun stuff leading up to christmas.......

Summerblaze Fri 07-Dec-12 15:52:16

I can't decide if you are or aren't being U. On one hand, my DC's love the last few weeks up to xmas with all what is going on and I must say I enjoy going to the xmas church service, nativity and xmas fair.

However, my diary for December has gone wild with 2 DC's worth of school xmas activities, work xmas events, club xmas events and nights out with friends etc. I don't know if I am coming or join. Haven't finished shopping, written any cards or wrapped anything yet.

Flyingfruit Fri 07-Dec-12 15:56:17

Not sure if you are being unreasonable but you are definitely being unseasonable!

SugarplumMary Fri 07-Dec-12 16:00:42

I have to sit on the fence with Summerblaze.

The DC do enjoy most of the build up - but with two at school and one a school Nursury it feels a lot.

We have 3 navity plays different days and times including two evening performances, 3 parties different days requiring a plate of party food and dress up costumes, school Christmas dinner needing separate payment and hat to be made, school club doing a show, and a visits from father Christmas and a Christmas fair.

On one hand the effort is great - on other it feels like the basic skills get a bit lost last few weeks.

sarahseashell Fri 07-Dec-12 17:31:45

I'm just saying they could do half as much and everyone would be happier smile
yes please thatartfulpussy <sucks on humbug> grin

freddiefrog Fri 07-Dec-12 17:37:44

Our school does loads and it's exhausting for everyone, parents, teachers and kids alike. It's lovely, but I wouldn't blame then for knocking it on the head a bit.

Both my kids are now in KS2, but last year was a bloody nightmare as KS1/2's events were on at different times.

We have 3 performances of their Christmas show, they're singing in the choir for 4 performances. A Christmas disco, a Christmas film club, a fete, church, end of term party, etc, etc. All requiring money/costumes/lifts/my help. I'm knackered just looking at the list

KittyFane1 Fri 07-Dec-12 17:53:22

No Christmassy things on offer at my school (secondary).
They will be working right up to the last minute I kid you not.

<goes in search of thread saying schools are no fun>

MammaTJ Sat 08-Dec-12 20:16:10

Just been to Christmas Fayre and have nativity to go to next week. There have been the 'Children have designed these cards so parents have to pay overinflated prices for them' and other things too.

STOP!! We have to give our DC a good Christmas too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now