to ask you what you think about comments about our baby's name?

(119 Posts)
whichformat Thu 06-Dec-12 21:58:41

We have chosen to name our baby daughter Ellen after several members of my family. I've mentioned the name to a few people who I'm not likely to see again as a way of testing reaction and had several of lukewarm comments - or no comment at all! They clearly didn't hate the name or ridicule it but just seemed to be very non-plussed. Another woman described it as 'run of the mill'.

We have had some positive comments but the fact that we may be giving our DD a 'run of the mill' name has started to bother me. I'm beginning to think it may not be special enough for our precious bundle. I know it's a name that doesn't have the immediate wow factor like Anastacia or something but I think it's pretty. AIBU to call my daughter Ellen?

monkeymamma Fri 07-Dec-12 13:19:49

I think it's lovely. But there is no one name that everyone will love. Otherwise we wouldn't need all these different names! If YOU love it and it feels right, that name is the name if your little one, and stuff what anyone else thinks.

I didn't want to be 'put off' our chosen name so kept it between dh and I until ds was born. I think a few people close to us are less than keen, or were at first. But after a while the name is intrinsically linked with your dc, and no one would dream of commenting on it.

quickdowntonson Fri 07-Dec-12 13:05:44

How rude some people can be! I think Ellen is a lovely name, and I agree with SybilPuss, you can call your child whatever you damn well like. My DD best friend of 11 years is called Ellen, and she's a great girl. Don't listen to this sort of rubbish.

squoosh Fri 07-Dec-12 12:38:24

'perhaps it's a name that you either 'get' or you don't'

This is the case with ALL names.

squoosh Fri 07-Dec-12 12:36:58

I'm a bit confused. What did you expect everyone to say, 'oh wow that's the mose beautiful name I've ever heard'?. There is no name in the world that would illicit universally positive comments.

Why do you care that people's reactions were only 'lukewarm'? From what you've said 99% of people have been polite about the name even if you feel they don't actually like it.

Where's the problem?

EldritchCleavage Fri 07-Dec-12 12:34:18

One woman's 'run of the mill' is another woman's 'classic'. I think Ellen is a classic name.

And the current trend for often ludicrously unusual names is a fad, which means a lot of the names used will date horribly, and be just as generation-specific as Margaret, or Sheila, or Sally sound now.

One of the least run of the mill people I know is called Ellen. :-)

My mum is Ellen, its never been shortened apart from by my dad who calls her Ellie belly hmm

goldenlula Fri 07-Dec-12 12:07:50

Ellen was my maternal nan's middle name and is mine and my dd's middle name. It is a very pretty name in my opinion. Have never thought a name needs 'the wow factor', infact I didn't know a name could because unless you make up a name or go for something ultra rare, most people will have heard most names at some point in their lives.

Nothing wrong with it....It's a lovely name. My friends daughter is Ellen and she gets called Ellie smile

whichformat Fri 07-Dec-12 11:50:20

Thanks for your lovely supportive replies everyone. They've given me back the confidence to use the name I love - I really was expecting a mixed bag of comments but nearly all of them have been positive.

As pictish said, perhaps it's a name that you either 'get' or you don't.

MrsAceRimmer Fri 07-Dec-12 10:55:45

Ellen is a lovely name, I wouldn't choose it as it doesn't go with our surname.
I got so sick of people offering opinions on the names we chose, that I started making ridiculous ones up (Tallulah Pepsi bumsqueak anyone?)
The names we chose are reasonably uncommon in Scotland, but always make the English top 10, usually top 5 so not particularly out there.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 07-Dec-12 10:15:12

I think it is lovely too. Elegant and timeless and very pretty.

Remember that not everyone is going to like what you like - it doesn't mean that you are wrong and they are right. I wonder what the children of the critics are called. Chances are you wouldn't be overly keen on their names, because clearly your tastes are different.

WandaDoff Fri 07-Dec-12 09:47:36

I think its lovely smile

It was on our shortlist for DD & it was my Gran's name.

socharlotte Fri 07-Dec-12 09:43:26

I don't think children will necessarily thank you for saddling giving them a name with wow factor!
There is no such thing as a good name or not, if everyone liked the same name everybody would call their baby the same thing which would be a tad confusing!!

ChasedByBees Fri 07-Dec-12 09:37:21

After reading this thread, if there's ever a DD2, I want to call her Elin (DD1 has a welsh name). Ellen is lovely.

valiumredhead Fri 07-Dec-12 09:34:16

When we told dh's aunt what we planned to name ds, she laughed and said 'Oh my God, as if you could name a child that!' then back peddled when we realised we were serious grin

Ellen is a lovely name smile

specialsubject Fri 07-Dec-12 09:32:08

meets all the criteria for a name: easy to pronounce, easy to spell, common enough that everyone has heard of it but not so common that there will be fifteen in her class. If shortened will be 'Ellie' which is also nice.

She is named for family members, and it means 'light'. What's not to like?

Harper Seven? Blue Ivy? angry

seeker Fri 07-Dec-12 09:30:07

It's lovely.

Why on earth should a name have the "wow" factor?

VictorAndBarry Fri 07-Dec-12 09:27:55

I think it is elegant, without fuss and timeless. Perfect, in fact.

Cezella Fri 07-Dec-12 09:26:13

Ellen is my middle name and for what it's worth I Love it. And I think other people must like it too because I often get called First Name Ellen rather than just First Name

KnitFastDieWarm Fri 07-Dec-12 09:10:34

Ellen is a pretty name smile ignore, ignore, smile and nod!
Why do people imagine you want their opinion on this kind of thing??

Fakebook Fri 07-Dec-12 08:52:31

To me, wow factor would be naming my child Princess Kenisha Lanisha Beyonce.

Names don't need a wow factor. They need to be pretty and suit the baby. Ignore them.

Fairylea Fri 07-Dec-12 06:18:12

My mum's name is Ellen.

I like it but everyone calls my mum ellie which she hates so worth bearing than in mind !

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Fri 07-Dec-12 06:00:17

There's nothing wrong with it and it is meaningful to you.

It doesn't matter what other people think. don't let that stop you using a name that means something to you.

BrevilleTron Fri 07-Dec-12 05:55:11

It's a beautiful name.
My cousin has just had a baby Ellen
Years ago we had a pact that we would name our daughters after each other. My cousin has a lovely first name so I named DD after her but I am SO glad she didn't call her DD after me as Ellen really really suits her DD!
Well done great name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now