to ask you what you think about comments about our baby's name?

(119 Posts)
whichformat Thu 06-Dec-12 21:58:41

We have chosen to name our baby daughter Ellen after several members of my family. I've mentioned the name to a few people who I'm not likely to see again as a way of testing reaction and had several of lukewarm comments - or no comment at all! They clearly didn't hate the name or ridicule it but just seemed to be very non-plussed. Another woman described it as 'run of the mill'.

We have had some positive comments but the fact that we may be giving our DD a 'run of the mill' name has started to bother me. I'm beginning to think it may not be special enough for our precious bundle. I know it's a name that doesn't have the immediate wow factor like Anastacia or something but I think it's pretty. AIBU to call my daughter Ellen?

MrsChestysGlitteryBaubles Fri 07-Dec-12 00:31:00

I'm very envy you have an Ellen, we wanted it for DD but its awful with our surname, so it's a middle name.

I LOVE it grin

NagooHoHoHo Fri 07-Dec-12 00:32:23

Lard fingers sorry blush aaa hhh what everyone else said grin

Rudolphstolemycarrots Fri 07-Dec-12 00:33:53

If nice enough. I'm loving Nell as a nick name though!

LDNmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 00:37:49

I think its lovely. I don't understand what kind of name you are supposed to give your DD for it to not be 'run of the mill' confused

Its about what the name means to you that makes it special.

Don't let it get you down. I remember being really against my DD's name as it was too popular (DH picked it). Now I feel very silly about having felt that way before and couldn't imagine calling her anything else.

Yes it is a common name, but she is the one and only her, that makes it special.

Doinmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 00:45:27

Oi pom . What makes you think Sharons and Traceys are from the 60's??

From Sharon (born 1964). grin

Gingerodgers Fri 07-Dec-12 00:56:23

I like the name, fwiw, we told my fil that we wanted to name our daughter flora, he laughed and said, yeh great, after the margarine, I said fuck you, your named after a penis!!!

Greensleeves Fri 07-Dec-12 00:59:25

I think if someone posted on MN asking "what do you think of this name" I would give an honest opinion.

But anyone who sneers/pulls a face/fails to say "Oh how lovely" to an actual baby who has been named is an asshole <gavel>

thetrackisback Fri 07-Dec-12 01:10:56

I like it it's lovely! But I think Mercedes is much nicer! <actual name of a child at nursery!>

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Fri 07-Dec-12 01:34:07

It's lovely! (and very similar to my RL name so I am biased)

misterwife Fri 07-Dec-12 01:46:24

At least you're not calling her Primula or Anaesthesia or Gorgonzola or something else horrific. And Ellen DeGeneres is a role model for anyone!

aurynne Fri 07-Dec-12 04:05:08

"I'm beginning to think it may not be special enough for our precious bundle."

Erm... really? Perhaps it is because your precious bundle is only special for you and her dad. Other people will not jump at its specialness because... well, because it is just NOT special.

Names don't make people special. It's the other way around. Your daughter will make her name be a special one if she one day does something special.

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 07-Dec-12 04:08:36

I wanted my child to have a solid, well loved classic name. He can provide the wow factorsmile

AltinkumATEalltheTurkey Fri 07-Dec-12 04:09:34

If ds2 was a girl, he was being called Nancy or Esme.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 07-Dec-12 04:24:59

dont ever sound out on names in advance. I made that error with DC1

Said to DM "If it's a girl, she will be Robyn"
DM said "Oh.........well if you like it....."

So, basically she ruined Robyn for me. Fortunately DC1 was a boy, but i'd learned my lesson by then, so just called from the hospital and said "You have a grandson, called X," when of course, the only thing they can really say is "Oh, how lovely".

Subsequently had a DD but had gone off Robyn by then, so maybe DM was right after all (not that I'll ever admit that to her grin)

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 07-Dec-12 04:26:51

I wanted my child to have a solid, well loved classic name. He can provide the wow factor

Exactly- No-one ever says "John Lennon- talented guy but very run of the mill name."

twizzlestix Fri 07-Dec-12 04:47:40

It's lovely but then I used it for my DD smile have recieved nothing but positive comments by the way.

twizzlestix Fri 07-Dec-12 04:49:04

It means sunshine if that helps

A name is just a name until the person attached to it becomes the names ifywim. The good names, the naughty names, the high achieving names it's all developed with time

ibizagirl Fri 07-Dec-12 05:43:54

I like it and it's my Nan's middle name with that spelling, although when booking her in for something with middle name needed, it always comes back as Helen!

BrevilleTron Fri 07-Dec-12 05:55:11

It's a beautiful name.
My cousin has just had a baby Ellen
Years ago we had a pact that we would name our daughters after each other. My cousin has a lovely first name so I named DD after her but I am SO glad she didn't call her DD after me as Ellen really really suits her DD!
Well done great name!

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Fri 07-Dec-12 06:00:17

There's nothing wrong with it and it is meaningful to you.

It doesn't matter what other people think. don't let that stop you using a name that means something to you.

Fairylea Fri 07-Dec-12 06:18:12

My mum's name is Ellen.

I like it but everyone calls my mum ellie which she hates so worth bearing than in mind !

Fakebook Fri 07-Dec-12 08:52:31

To me, wow factor would be naming my child Princess Kenisha Lanisha Beyonce.

Names don't need a wow factor. They need to be pretty and suit the baby. Ignore them.

KnitFastDieWarm Fri 07-Dec-12 09:10:34

Ellen is a pretty name smile ignore, ignore, smile and nod!
Why do people imagine you want their opinion on this kind of thing??

Cezella Fri 07-Dec-12 09:26:13

Ellen is my middle name and for what it's worth I Love it. And I think other people must like it too because I often get called First Name Ellen rather than just First Name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now