Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask you what you think about comments about our baby's name?

(119 Posts)
whichformat Thu 06-Dec-12 21:58:41

We have chosen to name our baby daughter Ellen after several members of my family. I've mentioned the name to a few people who I'm not likely to see again as a way of testing reaction and had several of lukewarm comments - or no comment at all! They clearly didn't hate the name or ridicule it but just seemed to be very non-plussed. Another woman described it as 'run of the mill'.

We have had some positive comments but the fact that we may be giving our DD a 'run of the mill' name has started to bother me. I'm beginning to think it may not be special enough for our precious bundle. I know it's a name that doesn't have the immediate wow factor like Anastacia or something but I think it's pretty. AIBU to call my daughter Ellen?

I was thinking about Ellen today and how beautiful it is.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 06-Dec-12 22:30:49

I love it! Wasn't aware names needless wow factor confused in fact I'm glad my children have lovely normal classic names!

NannyEggn0gg Thu 06-Dec-12 22:32:04

Why do you care?
It's a name you like and has meaning for you. You are never going to please everyone and nor should you have to.

If you want it, have it. And if you're that bothered by everyone elses' opinions then I suggest you have a list and take votes.

RozziRaspberry Thu 06-Dec-12 22:32:18

Our neighbours have a toddler named Ellen and I personally think it is a lovely name.

festivelyfocussed Thu 06-Dec-12 22:33:30

Tell ppl that you've decided to bow to public pressure and change her name to haribo tangfastic!

peppapigpants Thu 06-Dec-12 22:34:17

Love it smile

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Thu 06-Dec-12 22:34:20

What are wow factor names anyway?

To me all my kids names are wow factor names because I love them! I doubt everyone else feels the same way.

LilRosiesMum Thu 06-Dec-12 22:35:35

Yes its a great name and more importantly it has good meanings for you. I know lovely Ellens of all generations. And there is nothing odd about it... I always sigh inwardly when people give their children odd complicated difficult to spell names...

stifnstav Thu 06-Dec-12 22:39:56

If someone responded to a name with "Wow", that would not be good IMO!

Seabird72 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:41:54

It's a lovely name and one she won't be ashamed to have.

Shelfy Thu 06-Dec-12 22:43:53

I had a friend who was called Helen and she liked being called Elly which was rather sweet.Awwww .I expect Ellin would be abreviated to Elly or El if you live in Essex grin

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Thu 06-Dec-12 22:45:54

Ellen... "light" "torch" "bright"

lovely

I am a bit biased though smile

ToffeeCaramel Thu 06-Dec-12 22:50:48

to ask you what you think about comments about our baby's name?

I would welcome any honest comments when pregnant and considering a name, as I would be interested to know how it would be perceived by others.

Once i had already named a baby, I would consider negative comments to be quite rude.

Devora Thu 06-Dec-12 22:53:05

I like elegant and slightly understated - it's a good name.

Hobbitation Thu 06-Dec-12 22:53:23

It's very nice. It was my dad's mum's name (who I never knew) and I had it down as a middle name, and was one of the reasons behind my thinking for Eleanor (which is DD2's name). At the moment DD2 says she wants to be known as Ellen, so there you go.

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:54:06

It's a lovely name.
I think before the name is attached to a real life baby, it probably is fair game, but opinions are opinions.
Once the baby's born and starts growing up, nobody cares really. (Novelty names excepted)

kilmuir Thu 06-Dec-12 22:55:34

yabu and ridiculous
you like it, go for it.

AlbertoFrog Thu 06-Dec-12 22:56:51

Had DS been a girl 2 years ago that was one of the names we had shortlisted. Still love it as much today as I did then.

Funnily enough the trendy names of 2 years ago (those with the wow factor I presume) sound pretty naff now.

Ellen is a beautiful name.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Dec-12 22:58:49

One of my best friends has just called her baby daughter Ellen. I think it is a lovely name. It is not unusual, spelt as it sounds and everybody has heard of it. I like those qualities in a name (I grew up with an unusual name and hated it. It's very common now!). I've seen DD's name (Amy) described as "Meh" on here - which I think means much the same thing. I don't care, because there is a reason behind her name, which is special and meaningful to us - and that is why Ellen is special to you.

Pandemoniaa Fri 07-Dec-12 00:13:15

It's a lovely name. Both my aunt and great-grandmother were called Ellen and had I had a dd, I would have seriously considered using that name. It is hardly "run of the mill" either. But it is elegant and timeless.

heyannie Fri 07-Dec-12 00:16:50

I love it! Tell anyone who is negative to piss off, it's a lovely name, not too common, pretty, strong, feminine...

Viviennemary Fri 07-Dec-12 00:23:11

I think it's a very nice name.

Firawla Fri 07-Dec-12 00:27:35

I like it too! just ignore people, it's a good name, you like it, once your dd is born they will get used to her with the name and find it suits her - there's always someone who doesn't like a name so you have to ignore and just go with your own choice. i agree best not tell before hand as people try to put u off or make annoying comments.

It's not very commonly chosen so that makes it more interesting, i dont actually think its so "run of the mill"

NagooHoHoHo Fri 07-Dec-12 00:28:34

It's g

freddiefrog Fri 07-Dec-12 00:30:21

It's a lovely name.

You've chosen it because it has meaning and is special to you. Doesn't need to have a wow factor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now