Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would i be unreasonable to get my friends together to clear the air?

(45 Posts)
Emmielu Thu 06-Dec-12 18:04:14

A lot has happened in the last month where im concerned. I've moved into my first home onto my own and to be honest i am struggling but then again i havent found my feet yet.

I have a group of friends i hold close and since i've moved (if anything closer to them) i've started feeling left out of things. My OH said maybe its all in my head but im not so sure. I'm not sure if my memory is becoming an issue or if there is a problem. Here are some examples;

There is a Christmas lunch that is usually planned before the kids break up. One of the friends asked me if i needed a lift to the meal. I wasnt told anything about it.

Then theres the kids Christmas party at another friends house. I was asked what i was bringing food wise to the party. I didnt know about that.

The new years party - i only know of it through someone else whos invited and they knew last week. I found out today.

I haven't been around them much because along with getting Christmas things i've still not finished unpacking and am feeling drained. I've also been round a friend of mines for a cuppa one afternoon a week for the last 3 weeks. My group of friends dont like her. I dont know why but they dont. She's trying to become part of the group and did get upset about it yesterday because she felt by talking to me and having a cuppa with me it was causing problems.

It was topped off today by me being told by again someone who is just invited that after a assembly for the kids next week, the group are going to a friends house with a few other people and was i coming. I didnt know about it until the invited person told me. When i said i hadnt been told she said: Thats probably because the girls said that you'll probably be with that woman again.

That was rude to call my friend "that woman" when she has a name and they're fully aware of what her name is. Now although im hurt by the fact that they hardly talk to me now let alone tell me things, i was also hurt by the immature way they're dealing with this.

My OH suggested i get the girls round mine for a cuppa and clear the air. I think its a good idea. But would i be unreasonable to do this?

justmyview Tue 11-Dec-12 20:48:26

I don't understand why you apologised ..........

Emmielu Mon 10-Dec-12 20:47:50

Chipping - its been stressful but to be honest with you i think the only part thats stressful is the fact i felt like ok the girls helped me move but as soon as i had moved they just left and abandoned me. Not one of them came over for a cuppa.

I apologised to them all today one at a time. I've cleared the air at least but i've definately seen them in a different light and although they're not going to be my closest people or first who i go to for help, i'll hold them as just friends i go out with every now and again. I made it aware to them all that i wont tolerate this childish behaviour from women older than me. Its disgusting and that if it happens again im walking and wont come back.

suburbophobe Sat 08-Dec-12 16:17:58

Reminds me of that brilliant film "Murial's Wedding".

Great insight into bitchy girl cliques.

Also a great laugh! grin

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Sat 08-Dec-12 16:11:48

Emmielu - I'm trying not to be too harsh because you sound quite fragile. You need to open your eyes - they are most definitely not friends. Stop wasting your time & energy on them completely - focus on the people who make you feel good, who you don't have to perform for and who will help you when you are down, not this bunch of losers who only bitch about you when you are down.

You would be a lovely friend, stop wasting you friendship on these cows and spend your time and energy with your other friends. Say 'Hi' if you see them in passing, but don't go out of your way to meet up with them. I'm sorry you can't see what a negative drain they are on you.

You should be loving having your first place on your own - what is it that's making you unhappy about that?

exoticfruits Sat 08-Dec-12 16:07:27

Good grief! Give them a miss-find new friends!

op a friend is someone who is always there (preferably with a bottle of wine grin) when things get tough. A friend is someone who makes you laugh when you feel crap. A friend gives you the benefit of the doubt. A friend does not blank, bitch, behave like a 3yr old. A friend is a person who makes you feel good about being you because they like you that way.
Your group sound horrific angry...they don't tick any of these boxes do they?
Use my check list to find suitable candidates!!!!
smile

justmyview Sat 08-Dec-12 16:04:44

Friendships shouldn't be such hard work. I don't think your new friend should try to barge into a group who (for whatever reason) aren't too keen on her. You can see her separately

thebody Sat 08-Dec-12 15:51:51

Jesus Christ!!! How old are you all?

Emmielu Sat 08-Dec-12 15:46:52

After sleeping on it I've done a lot of laughing about how silly it is. I've spoke to the person i spoke to yesterday. Shes already told a few of the others that i spoke to her and what i said and they're "fine with me" and dont think i should apologise. Happy days! I wont be apologising and even if i had it wouldnt have been heart felt, it would purely be because out of them all i'd feel the most adult by doing so. I dont know if things will change, tbh i doubt they will but thats fine. I've done nothing wrong. I know that. Not everyone knows how to scream for help.

baremadness Sat 08-Dec-12 14:52:28

Why are these friends that important. Sounds like you have others so let the ones that aren't worth it go!

FushiaFernica Sat 08-Dec-12 14:16:33

I don't think that you are overreacting, it does sound like they have pushed you out because of this friend, they are being very bitchy towards you. I don't feel you have done anything that needs apologising for, I think you need to walk away from these 'friends.' I feel sad for you it should be a special time moving into your first home, find something to distract yourself from their horrible behaviour.

BackforGood Sat 08-Dec-12 13:18:55

complexnumber if this were typical of female behaviour, then clearly I'm some kind of honary bloke too. Absolutely ridiculous. I was going to say childish, but niether of my dds (14 and 11) would either act or respond like this either, so I don't want to insult children by using that phrase.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Sat 08-Dec-12 13:00:22

find new friends.

Preferably ones whose age is in double figures!

Molepomandmistletoe Sat 08-Dec-12 12:57:25

Dont you DARE apologise to them, you've done nothing wrong. Instead of asking you why your mood has changed, let alone realise it's because you are moving, they've been bitching about you to eachother because you've DARED let something else occupy your mind instead of them.

Get rid.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Sat 08-Dec-12 11:19:56

I'm yet to apologise to the girls for how i've behaved towards them, but i shall do so on monday when i see them

If you apologise to them I will hunt you down and beat you with a soggy bus ticket!!!! Fuck that - they have been nasty, pathetic, childish bitches. Time to move on from them my friend. Really - they are fucking pathetic. They should be supporting you and helping you.

If one of your friends said this...

I've been stressed lately with having my first home and have only been in the house 1 month (today) i've not found my feet yet, am struggling to find my feet and make ends meet and because of this i dont tend to be all bouncing off walls and i dont tend to talk a lot because its the only thing on my mind

What would you do - would you help or would you bitch to your other friends?

So because of this, the girls havent been happy with me because i've been moody and have taken it out on them

Jesus wept - how old are they and what kind of coven is it - they aren't happy with me?!

So instead of pulling me aside and saying "c'mon lets sit down together and you can tell us whats wrong, we want to help you" they spent 2 weeks talking about it among themselves

You have said yourself what they should have done, why the FUCK are YOU apologising to this bunch of nasty bitches?

Just improve your life 100000000 fold and dump their stupid asses.

RyleDup Sat 08-Dec-12 11:09:00

Ewww, they sound vile. I wouldn't apologise, I'd walk away.

stifnstav Sat 08-Dec-12 10:53:41

You're apologising on Monday? Fuck that!

MerryKissMyArse Sat 08-Dec-12 08:40:05

Blimey. Do these 'girls' all move and think as one? confused There are some weird dynamics going on in this friendship group.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sat 08-Dec-12 07:29:57

The "girls" aren't a cult, they are supposed to be your mates. So "they are not happy" with you? everybody knows moving is stressful, a decent set of friends would understand that and would already have been offering help. They sound like total bitches, to be honest. Start yer own clique.

Emmielu Sat 08-Dec-12 07:07:06

Well, i went to see the one person out of that group that i trust and you know what it was? Because i've been stressed lately with having my first home and have only been in the house 1 month (today) i've not found my feet yet, am struggling to find my feet and make ends meet and because of this i dont tend to be all bouncing off walls and i dont tend to talk a lot because its the only thing on my mind. So because of this, the girls havent been happy with me because i've been moody and have taken it out on them. So instead of pulling me aside and saying "c'mon lets sit down together and you can tell us whats wrong, we want to help you" they spent 2 weeks talking about it among themselves.

I made it clear to this person that i wont tolerate that whatsoever. If there is a problem to do with me then they come to me. Im not in school anymore and i cant help a situation im involved in if no one tells me what i've done wrong. I also told her that to me its such a petty thing and that i should be considering if i want to be around people who'd rather talk behind my back about it than come to me. I live up the road from 3 of these girls. Why not call me? Why not come over? I also made it aware to her that how they are around my friend who isnt in the group is horrible and down right unacceptable. Im not saying they've got to be friends etc, but if im stood with this friend talking to her and one of the girls comes to talk to me, at least say hello to the woman! Dont pure blank ignore her.

I'm yet to apologise to the girls for how i've behaved towards them, but i shall do so on monday when i see them, as i will also let them know that if in future there is a problem or they are concerned, bloody well talk to me! Dont do it behind my back.

That was what the fuss was all about. I got upset. I got angry. My friend got upset. For that.

Molepomandmistletoe Fri 07-Dec-12 08:21:46

Walk away.

You have a made a new friend and this particular person in the group doesn't like it.

She is insecure enough to arrange stuff but not invite you, the others sound as though they are not aware of this, but they are not "getting involved" for fear of being put in the position you are in now, which to me shows that they do bloody well know something but are not doing anything about it. To have that many people come up to you about such and such an event to find out you didnt know anything about it means they would have realised by now that there's a pattern.

You are being Wendied.

Walk away now and leave them to their games. MY 12 year old is going through this right now as is my 36 year old friend...it's pathetic.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Fri 07-Dec-12 01:06:50

Talk to the one you like/trust the most - see if she can give you a reason you are being left out and a reason why they don't like your other friend. Then having listened to her, make your mind up what to do next - ditch them is probably the solution!

Why is your BF not a part of this group?

What does your BF think of 'this woman'?

Bumblequeen Fri 07-Dec-12 00:58:34

No one should control who you are friends with. You can move in different circles and it is probably better to have pockets of friends who do not know each other.

I know women who have made friends through their friend. The minute the original friend and said friend had issues, the others dropped her. It is too close for comfort.

School girls can be fickle. I remember at primary school girls would have a different best friend every week. They fell out over silly things and spoke again after several days. Nobody held grudges for long. I tended to be friends with all the girls in the year.

Secondary school was another story. I was in no way prepared for girls that would make your life hell just for the sheer fun of it.

hellymelly Thu 06-Dec-12 23:25:07

complex- I don't accept personally that its part of having friends,- in that I don't have friends who treat me like that now,- but it is certainly part of the experience of girls as they grow up. My daughter is in the middle of a similar situation now, and it is so depressing to witness as she is getting very upset at being picked up and then dropped , over and over again. Not all girls do this, but all girls will come up against groups and cliques if they go to school. sad

cumfy Thu 06-Dec-12 21:57:32

It's all extremely childish but pointing that out won't get u more friends!

But are they really friends ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now