to not "do" thank you notes

(58 Posts)

We have never got into writing thank you notes/ letters. We always thank people for gifts in person (if they are actually there at the time) or on the phone. Is that really so bad?

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Thu 06-Dec-12 21:59:23

I don't want a thank you note. I prefer a phone call or just someone to say thank you.

Thank you notes, no matter how nice the sentiment behind them always seem a bit forced to me. Plus I never have any idea what to do with them.

YANBU. I don't send them. I'm not Hyacinth Bouquet!

AlexanderS Thu 06-Dec-12 22:02:46

All that is required to be socially acceptable is a thank you of any sort BUT I do think a written note is best as it involves some thought/effort.

mamasmissionimpossible Thu 06-Dec-12 22:37:47

I spent years writing thank you notes to all and sundry, due to my mother forcing insisting.

I have horrible memories of trying to think up something to say, even though I was seeing the person the next day or had met up recently.

I think a verbal/text/phone call 'thank you' is enough

SantaWearsGreen Thu 06-Dec-12 22:39:57

I've never sent one confused

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Thu 06-Dec-12 22:42:08

My exMIL and exSIL were punctilious about sending thank you notes. In person they were two of the rudest people I've ever met. grin

YABU. Takes very little effort.

helpyourself Thu 06-Dec-12 22:49:03

^

helpyourself Thu 06-Dec-12 22:55:02

I thought better of posting, but my finger slipped- I was highlighting setphasers post. That is so true about rude people obsessing about thank you letters. It's PA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now