Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Hestons Fantastical Food is a disgusting waste of food?

(18 Posts)
SantaWearsGreen Wed 05-Dec-12 16:36:27

What food waste? He gave it all away to the public..

Arcadia Wed 05-Dec-12 14:47:29

YANBU. But regardless of the waste side I think it is just pointless and boring. What is the point of making a huge ice cream or a huge biscuit? Saw a bit of his willy wonka one, everyone just eating loads of sweets and licking paintings, pointless and gross! It is not like a cookery programme where at least you can try making it at home.

Well yes. That food waste is disgusting too.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Wed 05-Dec-12 14:30:23

I would think it probably does get eaten.

There is less food though, whoever said their wasn't - a lot of big droughts this year, and Britain had a poor harvest too.

MoreBeta Wed 05-Dec-12 14:29:05

I read some of the programme episode synopsis and it says the food is 'served' so at least some of it is eaten it seems.

Besides, it is still a relatively tiny amount of food wasted compared to what actually gets thrown away every day by supermarkets and goes in the bin at home.

Its not in a restaurant though MoreBeta! Its a huge amount of money spent on a huge amount of food for a tv programme.

If I was in the audience at one of those events, I dont think I would eat any of the things, its not very hygenic.

MoreBeta Wed 05-Dec-12 14:17:38

What do you mean by this:

"....while he is using so much food.."

Surely the food he makes gets eaten by someone? That is normally how a restaurant works is it not?

That said, I was served 'mushroom soil with a garden of miniture vegetables on a base of cauliflower custard' at a restaurant (not in this country) with a Michelin star chef recently. It was vile and that food got definitely left on the plate. There is such a thing as trying too hard with food.

HairyGrotter Wed 05-Dec-12 14:17:20

He makes me laugh in disbelief sometimes. I remember his '30 day Chilli' or something like that, took about a month to make...I just thought "You cunt". Looked nice but totally unrealistic and expensive to boot.

Dead69Girl Wed 05-Dec-12 14:12:48

when he made the huge ice cream it was eaten by members of the public,

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Wed 05-Dec-12 14:09:55

Surely it's not as bad as the likes of La Tomatina festival in Spain. All that perfectly good food, just thrown around and wasted. At least people eat Heston's over hyped food.

zaphod Wed 05-Dec-12 14:01:56

Yanbu. What's the point of it? Surely there's a better way to spend time and money.

ButternutSquish Wed 05-Dec-12 13:58:32

Funny, I thought the same when I saw the end of the one about the giant biscuits for dunking. I know that the tv company pays for it, but it just doesn't sit right with me, so i'm not watching it

suebfg Tue 04-Dec-12 22:02:35

Often when you see those world record attempts to make the biggest lasagne for example, it is given out afterwards. I can't believe they don't do the same. Maybe u should write to him and ask?

I dont know. I havent thought this out at all have I grin

suebfg Tue 04-Dec-12 21:54:13

Is the food thrown away afterwards though? I'm not sure.

Fair point.

Its just the sheer amount of food. But then I hate waste even at home.

aamia Tue 04-Dec-12 21:50:41

The food is available if you have the money though - there isn't a shortage. So by that justification if it's wrong to do that, then it's wrong to spend any money on anything not necessary, when it could be given to the poor.

Just that really. Its a bit sickening to think how many people are facing hardship and struggling to feed themselves and their families, while he is using so much food.

AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now