To already being annoyed at the jibes at Kate Middleton's hypermesis

(78 Posts)
guccigirl666 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:14:31

The poor woman is said to be suffering hypermesis, a rare and horrific form of morning sickness. It is NOT within the 'normal realms' of morning sickness, it means you cannot even hold down water. I suffered from this in my pregnancy and was on a drip in hospital for days, I lost 2 stone in weight and hearing everyone talking about her 'moaning' and comparing it to 'normal' morning sickness is really frustrating! Hypermesis is pure hell and shouldn't be overlooked!

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 15:12:25

Of course I'm not saying she hasn't got hg, just that this might be an over-reaction by Kate/ Carole/ the medics or just be the best line to spin for pr purposesi f she is only five or six weeks and on only the first day or two of throwing up.

If she is really ill with hg then the chances are we won't see her for the next nine months which is perhaps another slight bonus for the public (and possibly her). Might piss off the assembled masses of maternity wear watchers though.

I'm still really interested in the succession thing if it's twins and there has to be a c-section. Anyone know if the doctors can choose which to whisk out first?

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 15:06:17

I don't think it's an esp big deal to have a line put in as a precautionary measure. They've done it for DC of mine who have caught a sick bug while ill, or who've just had a bad bug. It's a very simple procedure. Probably costs a thousand or so at the King Edward V11, but I doubt anyone's counting.

mumsneedwine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:50:02

With the first I was sick 50 times a day and only stopped in the delivery room. It's so debilitating and life becomes a real effort - dehydration happens very fast and only way to rehydrate is either by drip or a suppository (had both as at one point was so dehydrated they couldn't find a vein). 2nd pregnancy wasn't sick once ! Poor girl must be so worried about her baby and Royal or not think she deserves compassion. I had people (men mainly) telling me to just get on with it - memorably once by my Manager, and I promptly projectile vomited all over his office. grin

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:47:29

I should have probably been in hospital, but I hate them and took to my bed.

My DH prepared me ice-cold complan in a blender envy

I had to drink it really slowly. It took me about 4hrs to finish a small glass.

I used to throw up water and spit... terrible time.

I think she should rest however bad she is.

VodkaJelly Tue 04-Dec-12 14:44:35

I am not a big fan of the royals but I feel sorry for Kate. I had morning sickness in all my pregnancys but it wasnt that severe, I managed to struggle through it.

Having hypermesis sounds horrific and she must be worried about her baby.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 04-Dec-12 14:43:02

But they said she's being rehydrated on a drip. They don't do that unless you're dehydrated and that's something that can be measured objectively, surely?

I must admit to a hmm when they said her engagements for the next 'few days' had been cancelled. Few months would be more sensible for HG. I hope she's not going to be pushed back to doing engagements before she's ready. Utterly grim (though as someone on another thread said, they won't want her throwing up in public).

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:38:05

Exactly yellow smile

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 14:37:25

litquot there's clearly a spectrum of morning sickness though which at some point merges into hg. I felt like you did but mercifully only for the first three months. That level of sickness must be at the upper end of the 'ordinary' scale.

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 14:34:06

Quite Feminine. So it may be that she's just taken aback by how vile 'ordinary' morning sickness is (I certainly was) and they're taking no chances. In theory it should elicit more sympathy to say she has full blown hg. The pr machine will say whatever is judged to be best. It'll be obvious in a few weeks time because everyone with experience says hg puts you out of action in a big way for months.

litquot Tue 04-Dec-12 14:33:13

I don't see why anyone should whinge about 'just' morning sickness anyway. I was sick from week 6 until DC was born. If I took medication (which the dr was iffy about) I was only sick once a day, if I didn't I was sick 6-7 times a day, but either way I felt sick all day. I could only drink soda water as I couldn't stand the taste of anything else, including tap water. I couldn't stand in the kitchen because the smell of food (not being cooked, just generally, esp if the fridge was opened) made me sick. I cannot imagine how dreadful it must be to have HM because 'just' morning sickness was really, really horrible.

fifitrixibell Tue 04-Dec-12 14:30:43

According to the BBC news last night she is 8 weeks. I started being sick at 6 - 7 weeks with all mine. I didn't have HG but a friend did, and ended up in hospital. The issue isn't so much what size you are as the problem of dehydration. If you are vomitting out fluid, and unable to keep anything down you will get dehydrated very quickly, which alters the body's chemistry and that is when it gets dangerous.

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:24:13

I agree with you yellow I don't think they should have to share at all.

However being as who she is etc...

I think she must be very early, as it would be rare for such severe symptoms to start after a few months.

AmIGoingMad Tue 04-Dec-12 14:22:51

I'm with you! Feel really annoyed at people belittling it and complaining about her. I've been at rock bottom last few weeks and that's been with standard(?) morning sickness- I've been in tears most days. I can't even begin to imagine how awful it is for those with HG. I liked the comparison with it being as close together as twisted ankle and broken leg though- puts mine into perspective slightly!
Pregnancy, and early pregnancy are such tough times and it must be difficult to live through it in full glare of worlds press. Yes- it's true that there are many many perks of being part of royal family but I really feel for them both as this must be so hard to have to share with the world!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 04-Dec-12 14:21:47

I think it would actually be very useful for the media to use Kate as a reason to raise awareness of HG.

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 14:19:11

She told Carole and Mike this w/e. The Queen only found out yesterday. The doctors say very early indeed. So probably five or six weeks but they don't want to say it. Why should they? That would trigger the comments about where did they conceive (yuk) and about how hysterical she is because she's only been ill for a couple of days.

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:15:07

I am suspecting though , that as she is a Royal, greater care will be taken of her and the baby. Its more likely she would be hospitalized.

We are all (myself included) just guessing about a lot of it.

Nobody knows how bad she is or isn't.

elliejjtiny Tue 04-Dec-12 14:12:14

I've heard she is 8 weeks pregnant, also 12 weeks, not sure which of them is right.

Poor Kate. I had fairly awful morning sickness with DS1, throwing up 20+ times a day, lost 15% of my body weight but didn't have meds or hospital so can't imagine how bad she must feel.

I'm pregnant at the moment and got almost constant nausea and vomiting green stuff first thing every morning and if I don't eat often enough but I can cope with that, no problem.

I hope Kate's pregnancy raises awareness of the difference between hyperemesis and morning sickness but judging by the comments on facebook etc I'm not holding out much hope.

Mine started at 6 weeks and then 5 weeks.

I had hypermesis with dd, I went down to 7 stone in weight and was on the early pregnancy unit for a while.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 04-Dec-12 14:03:31

Someone earlier on the thread asked about the chances of getting it again if you've had it once. It's about a two thirds chance for the second pregnancy if you've had it in the first.

I had about a week of nausea and then the vomiting hit me like a train. I guess I could have played hockey a few days before it hit (though I wouldn't have done, personally....)

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 14:01:21

Yes, I'm thinking she can only be that far along too.

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 13:56:58

Five or six weeks Feminine.

Feminine Tue 04-Dec-12 13:52:59

Can it come on at her stage of pregnancy?

She must be very newly pregnant surely?

The pictures of her in the last few days show her looking fine.

I had it, very badly. I was unable to leave my bed for 4 months, I suspect now though that it was just very severe morning sickness as no doctor suggested I go to hospital.

picketywick Tue 04-Dec-12 13:50:08

I have never experienced it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now