AIBU to think people see down syndrome as.................

(82 Posts)
devilishmangerdanger Sun 02-Dec-12 18:57:08

an easy disability to care for?

lljkk Mon 03-Dec-12 19:00:06

I know someone exactly like that, too, Spoons. She was utterly devastated about termination but felt it was the kindest option and her duty.

My cousin has an adult son with DS and no, it doesn't look easy. Anything but. Although she always points out how much easier her son is to care for than many people with significant SN conditions. Entirely true.

DawnOfTheDee Mon 03-Dec-12 19:28:01

I'd have to say pre-MN, I did probably think it was an 'easier' disability. It wasn't anything I'd consciously thought about in any great depth but I think seeing programmes on telly where people with DS lived independently (or at least semi-independently), had relationships, had jobs, went to mainstream schools meant that I thought it wasn't as bad as some other disabilities.

Must say though I always thought the 'lovely, friendly, cuddly' stereotype was very patronising.

Before coming on MN I had no idea that heart defects, hearing/eyesight problems, etc were common in DS. I do now thought and realise how wrong I was.

threesocksfullofchocs Tue 04-Dec-12 09:02:53

devilishmangerdanger do hope you are feeling better today.
you know where I am if you need to chat.

BumBiscuits Tue 04-Dec-12 09:40:29

I was under the impression that despite testing in pregnancy for DS the rates of DS births have remained stead.

The reasons given were that more older at risk women are becoming pregnant, so there are more cases than before and women are choosing not to terminate because it may be their last chance at having their own baby and care/help is perceived too be much better than in the past.

BumBiscuits Tue 04-Dec-12 09:40:54

*steady

baublesandbaileys Wed 05-Dec-12 12:50:37

bumbiscuits, I would interpret that as
if the number of older/higher risk mums become pregnant, then there are more DS pregnancies being identified, if the amt of births are static then that means that MORE and a higher percentage are being terminated

say the static number of births is 10
in the past there were 20 identified, so the termination rate would be 50% right?
but if the amt being born stays at 10 when the number of DS pregnancies itendified go up to say 40, the termination rate is now 75% right?

does that make sense?

BumBiscuits Wed 05-Dec-12 20:31:45

Yes, depending on the increase in the number of cases of DS pregnancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now