Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder if we are priced out off all nice areas

(40 Posts)
Part1 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:03:45

Or are there any nice and affordable areas? I grew up in a leafy part of Hampshire but ended up in east anglia due to relationships and work. DH and I bought a house and had children. This was all good until the dcs started school. There are a lot of parents with low aspirations, they stand outside of school smoking, swearing and drinking energy drinks. I am worried that my DCs will have no prospects here. I would love to relocate to a better area but we could never afford to live where I grew up. Any recommendations for nice but affordable towns?

Fairylea Fri 30-Nov-12 18:54:42

Diablo smile banham zoo is amazing isn't it!

Worth living there for that alone! smile

Mintyy Fri 30-Nov-12 19:00:08

Basingstoke is in Hampshire, right? grin

wonderingsoul Fri 30-Nov-12 19:12:22

i am from one of the towns mentioned on the first page..

i drink energy drinks.. some times on the school run... i find people are less judgy of that then when i take the vodka bottle.

ALL towns. have a "rough" area. and a nicey part.

lljkk Fri 30-Nov-12 19:13:07

Wisbech? Come on, give us a clue.

wonderingsoul Fri 30-Nov-12 19:19:12

its raccey ;)

DuchessofMalfi Fri 30-Nov-12 19:22:28

Our part of North Dorset is lovely, with affordable properties, good schools (both primary and secondary). But everywhere has its poorer, run down areas - you can't avoid them and it would be wrong to think that you could move away to a better place because there probably isn't one.

LittlePicnic Fri 30-Nov-12 19:54:44

Minty- even Basingstoke has some nice areas!

Mintyy Fri 30-Nov-12 20:05:59

Oh I know, I have a certain wonky old fondness for Basingstoke! Ddad (rip) lived near Basingstoke for many years, in a couple of beautiful villages.

Mintyy Fri 30-Nov-12 20:07:16

So, come on op, what is your budget and where would you like to live? Mumsnet is great at finding places.

blanksquit Fri 30-Nov-12 20:14:41

What about Shrewsbury? Cheap rents, cheap to buy, reasonable schools, quite pleasant. Not much work though but really pretty.

Part1 Fri 30-Nov-12 20:38:53

Yes, I know that there are some lovely places in E Anglia but they are also the expensive places (Cambridge, Ely). We have no need to stay in E Anglia so I am open to any recommendations. Houses on our street are worth £130000, we couldn't get anywhere near this sized property in a decent town for that money. Not that I know of anyway.....

Part1 Fri 30-Nov-12 20:44:02

Thanks blanksquit. I am going to make a shortlist and plan some shortbreaks to thoseno aces on the list next year.

Fairylea Fri 30-Nov-12 20:45:26

Diss and banham are very nice areas as I said and houses are generally around the £130-140k mark. Plenty for children, zoos, parks, countryside etc. The most crime we ever get is a duck being run over.

Part1 Fri 30-Nov-12 20:56:05

Fairylea, agree they are nice, I have visited both but they are too small and don't really appeal. We are a mixed race family so don't want to be somewhere with very few Asian or black people or somewhere too far away from a big city.

maddening Fri 30-Nov-12 20:59:04

Hurricanes hardly ever happen smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now