AIBU to not take 5month old to freezing house for weekend?

(86 Posts)
Camdenstyles Fri 30-Nov-12 00:30:48

We are suppose to be visiting my DH's Aunt and Uncle this weekend in Dorset and taking DD who has just turned 5 months. I get a phone call this evening from the Aunt saying their heating has conked out (since Sat) and they are waiting for the repairman to fix it who may or may not come to fix it on Saturday. They are in the deep countryside and I find their house cold at the best of times. She has warned us but said we can pile on warm clothes and go for walks to warm up! She has no children or her own so has no clue about babies. I don't feel comfortable taking DD there if it's going to be freezing, AIBU?

CheerfulYank Fri 30-Nov-12 10:24:29

It is all what you're used to as well...we turn our thermostat down to 14 in the winter (though our bedrooms are upstairs and small and stuffy, so they probably stay a bit warmer) but we're used to it. Also have lots of duvets, flannel sheets, wool socks, etc. Even then the first few weeks of winter are always hard...it takes awhile to toughen back up! smile

Glad you've come to a decision OP...if you were going to be miserable there's no point in a visit anyway, I suppose.

CheerfulYank Fri 30-Nov-12 10:24:48

*turn it down at night, I mean.

pigletmania Fri 30-Nov-12 10:33:11

Your baby comes first and I would not take my 5 month baby to an unheated house, not just for a day but a few. It won't be pleasant for anyone. Op you are doing the right thing

LtEveDallas Fri 30-Nov-12 11:12:34

Does OP say all the heating is gone? Don't most centrally heated houses have a secondary heat source?

I feel a little sorry for the Aunt TBH. There she was looking forward to seeing her nephew and his daughter and now through no fault of her own (unless she took an axe to her boiler) she won't see them for 6 months. Aww.

I can't help but think this is far more to do with the OP than the baby smile

BrianButterfield Fri 30-Nov-12 11:29:22

If the aunt's that bothered, the roads run both ways...

HazleNutt Fri 30-Nov-12 12:39:23

YANBU, I would not go myself, even without a baby. And would move to a hotel if the heating broke in my own house. Nothing makes me as miserable as being cold.

Rudolphstolemycarrots Fri 30-Nov-12 12:42:41

take a heater with you?

LaCiccolina Fri 30-Nov-12 12:45:11

Why don't you just ask her? Say I'm a bit worried that young baby will get cold/ill therefore I'm thinking we might leave it this weekend. Have you already been shopping? Understand we can't see you til X date, which is sad but we think this poss for best. Sincerely hope fixed for you....

If she's been shopping it's harder to say no and would be more u.

rotavirusrita Fri 30-Nov-12 12:45:44

lol is this a good thread to admit we havent had functioning central heating for over 3 yrs? we have a solid fuel fire thing, 2 fan heaters if needed and hot water bottles and 3 children under 8.

I actually hate being cold..... but find it works fine without central heating. put on some extra layers and you'll be fine.

rotavirusrita Fri 30-Nov-12 12:47:40

oh and fwiw the only reason i know it was over 3 yrs agop was that it broke shortly before I gave birth to DS3 3 yrs ago! He disnt seem to get poorly more than other babies

We don't heat our house apart from a few days a year. Now we live in an extremely mild climate but it does still get down to about 9 degrees at night in winter. We do this because DS#1 and I have asthma and all of us have allergies and we have found that we are wayyyy healthier if we keep the house cold. It makes such a huge difference. When DS#2 was tiny we had a hot air blower for nappy changes and bath time but otherwise just layered. I always used the one more layer than I had rule and he was fine. Even when we went up to the snow he didn't need that much bulk, just plenty of light layers. We have always had warm pjs, hot water bottles and good duvets.

Now saying that, I wouldn't go if the cold makes you miserable unless I took a heater and told my hosts that I planned to bring it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now