To send DS to school in shorts?

(73 Posts)
AnnIonicIsoTronic Thu 29-Nov-12 20:16:40

I like to thiink I'm instilling great British qualities of hardiness and stiff upper lip

fatlazymummy Sun 02-Dec-12 15:44:25

It's up to you I guess, if you think your son is happy. I wouldn't do it though. In winter my boys wear long trousers, My daughter and I wear long trousers or leggings.

Francesa Sun 02-Dec-12 12:29:43

I would not send him to school in shorts in these temperatures we have at the moment, unless he insists on wearing them, it would be a learning curb for him!grin

Hulababy Sat 01-Dec-12 21:40:38

I'm in Yorkshire and yes, it's been 0, -1 etc this week. The boys school wears shorts all year round. My own dd is choosing skirt and long socks still. Even at the infants I work at we have 2 boys choosing shorts and many girls choosing skirts and socks.

DS (3.6yr) would wear shorts to nursery (if I hadn't hid them) with with his wellies.

But as it is he puts shorts on as soon as he is home. Which I'm thankful for as we had a stage just after he learned to take his trouser off, of him just being in his pants.

mercibucket Sat 01-Dec-12 19:48:51

Ds2 always wears shorts in winter and long trousers in summer - strange boy. This is on weekends though

PigeonPie Sat 01-Dec-12 19:40:38

My reception age DS2 CHOOSES to wear shorts - I provide him with all appropriate clothing, but it is his choice and I am not going to insist about it; he knows the consequenses and knows not to complain! In fact this week he hasn't even wanted a jumper over his polo shirt.

However it is extremely warm in school and when they go outside he'll either have his waterproof all-in-one and wellies or his coat.

I have told the staff that it is up to him.

By the way the definition of a jumper is something a parent tells their child to wear when the parent feels cold!

marriedinwhite Sat 01-Dec-12 19:21:34

My DH insists that when he were a lad it were normal to go to Elland Road in a T Shirt between December and Easter grin. He's been moaning all day because the heating has gone above 6 on the dial.

Teenagers? Coats? Any one up for a bunfight?

tigerdriverII Sat 01-Dec-12 00:15:53

DS wore shorts from Reception to Y5. He loved being the hard one who wore shorts. Then this autumn he demanded trousers and does look a lot warmer (though has to be fought into a coat so is still hard obv). He really liked the attention of wearing shorts, not the wearing of them.

usualsuspect3 Sat 01-Dec-12 00:01:46

Sorry, not having it,

If your knees are exposed you are going to be cold.

CatchingMockingbirds Fri 30-Nov-12 23:59:57

It's freezing outside, yabu.

SamanthaStormer Fri 30-Nov-12 23:53:56

In this weather? Seriously?! Don't know whereabouts you live but if you're in the North of England like I am, then there's no CHANCE that there'd be going to school in shorts, it's nudging zero degrees out there!
YABU if you live here. They'd come home with goosepimples or hypothermia grin

sarahtigh Fri 30-Nov-12 23:49:29

I would agree I do not find trousers warmer than skirt and tights; in fact jeans are useless at keeping you warm, if they get wet they are worse than useless as take so long to dry, you need wool or cords to actually be warm

school trouser material from ASDA and such like is so thin it would not keep anyone warm, so shorts made from suiting/ wool with knee length socks would probably be as warm, it is a well known fact that children especially teenagers to not feel the cold as it is never cold enough to need a coat

when DH was at school you had to wear shorts until you were 11 unless you were 5' before then,

Hulababy Fri 30-Nov-12 23:04:19

BehindLockNumberNine - agree re the trousers. Even as an adult I would always chose a skirt and tights (or long socks if a long skirt) over trousers = it is far warmer, and then you don't get the whole issue of water/snow touching the hem and rising up trousers either too.

The thing to bear in mind though, is that that most school trousers are made from a thin material. Even the more expensive so called wool rich ones (yes, I am glaring at you M&S)
So shorts which come down to the knee and then thick, knee length wool socks may actually be jsut as warm if not warmer?

Dd refuses to wear trousers to school in the winter as they are too cold. She loves her knee length socks and culottes however and she is a girl that feels the cold quickly!

FreudiansSlipper Fri 30-Nov-12 21:19:11

ds is still wearing shorts to school

he can wear trousers in the winter months (new rule from this year) so he did for a few days not many of the other boys did and he has gone back into shorts, his choice. He looks ridiculous in his wool duffle coat, hat, gloves, scarf and shorts with his socks falling down smile

marriedinwhite Fri 30-Nov-12 21:15:49

.... and the problem is? DS wore shorts from 4 until 11 - because he wanted to. Long(ish) shorts, Long(ish) socks. He's 18 on Xmas day. He survived and grew to 6'2". He does play hooker thought so perhaps we were wise to go with toughening him up grin

Hulababy Fri 30-Nov-12 21:15:40

Many boy's school have shorts as uniform ll year round - although most have socks that almost touches them. When it gets colder many go in longer over trousers to get there though.

DD is still in skirt and socks; she has tights but not choosing to wear them.

mumeeee Fri 30-Nov-12 21:12:16

YABU. It's much too cold for shorts.

PearlyWhites Fri 30-Nov-12 19:30:48

The boys have to wear shorts all year round in my daughters catholic school.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 30-Nov-12 11:54:32

My DD's school is shorts all year round for boys and skirts / dresses only for girls. The girls do have the option of wearing woolly tights so DD is OK. BUT I feel sorry for the little boys and their bare legs / knees. Even with woolly socks it seems mean to me. I'm actually dreading my DS having to wear shorts all year round when he starts school. I also agree that this sounds like something from the 1950s. Would have been regarded as v outdated at my primary in the 1980s.

So I guess YANBU (or a lot of schools are being equally unreasonable) but it isn't what I'd put my son in given the choice. I don't see how they can enjoy playing out in cold weather if they are not properly dressed for it.

bubalou Fri 30-Nov-12 11:39:28

YABU. It's 1 degree outside today - DS is sent to school in trousers with coat, hat, scarf and gloves.

Toasty warm smile

AnnIonicIsoTronic Fri 30-Nov-12 11:28:00

See my second link - the actual garment was very far away from an Enid blyton fantasy - more of a skater boy hoodlum fantasy! I think he finds shorts more practical for puddle jumping!!!

Dd chose long socks this morning. She has tights there but didnt want to wear them. I'm not going to force her.

If ds wanted to wear shorts I'd be a bit hmm but mainly because he only has short socks, and he feels the cold.

I grew up in an era when there were no tights for girls and long socks were just fine. I don't remember being cold and that is what we all wore. At secondary we started wearing over-the-knee socks but even then woolly tights weren't really available and nobody's parents forked out for sheer tights. They might not even have been allowed.

Mind you, I don't get the idea that trousers are somehow warmer than skirts. That isn't my experience at all so that perhaps why I don't feel the need to have every inch of skin directly covered.

I am old though what do I know!?

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Fri 30-Nov-12 11:06:50

Yes tights.

But there were girls at ds' school in a pinafore and long socks this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now