To send DS to school in shorts?

(73 Posts)
AnnIonicIsoTronic Thu 29-Nov-12 20:16:40

I like to thiink I'm instilling great British qualities of hardiness and stiff upper lip

youngermother1 Fri 30-Nov-12 00:53:10

My dh wore shorts all year round until 10. Only big boys wore trousers - also uniform was height based, not age, some some boys were still wearing shorts at 11.

CaliforniaLeaving Fri 30-Nov-12 03:49:26

My Dh wore uniform shorts to school till he was 10 like youngermother1 Dh, and the long socks too. He said he hated it and his knees would look blue in the freezing winter weather.

Rosevase Fri 30-Nov-12 05:58:26

DH wore shorts through the winter at school until he was 11. The boys at our own DCs school now do too until 8.
It's fine. With long socks it looks comfortable and practical. We're hardly talking mini shorts here - they are substantial.

SugaricePlumFairy Fri 30-Nov-12 06:49:02

Nooooooooo! Think of the childrens poor mottled legs grin.

It's perishing out there.

whensteaready Fri 30-Nov-12 07:03:21

It will be good training for when they become post men.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 30-Nov-12 07:25:07

DS gets his uniform out, and will usually choose shorts every time. Sometimes I send him back to get trousers (eg when I know it is going to be very very cold, or they are going to be outside), otherwise I just leave him be.

Thing is, his trousers are so thin I doubt that they offer much warmth anyway

Megatron Fri 30-Nov-12 07:28:20

Noooo! It's too bloody cold. It's 2 degrees today so DS will be going in trousers, why would I let him be cold because 'it looks cute'?

On the way to school there was a boy who always, always had shorts, even the week before Xmas holidays and in January....what's wrong with trousers?

I don't feel the cold, but it's still nice to feel warm! Instead of the slightly numb/no shivery feeling. Also last winter (England) it was so bitingly cold that during the 10 minute walk from the bus stop to school I honestly felt like my legs were blocks of ice through my jeans. It was actually painful. I mean....no big deal, obviously I'm just a soft kid who wouldn't have lasted an autumn 50 years ago.....but I can't imagine anyone in shorts not feeling that cold and wishing they had something on their legs!

Iggly Fri 30-Nov-12 07:34:49

If a stiff upper lip means keeping up a ridiculous front then YABU. It's bloody COLD.

If its just for cuteness and the child doesn't mine, then let them learn grin

Iceaddict Fri 30-Nov-12 07:35:57

No it's too cold, yesterday I saw a friend of DS go to school in shorts who usually wears trousers. It was also the first day we've had frost. Crazy. And his mother was wrapped up warm!

Plus medically speaking- if you don't cushion the temperature change from going into the cold from a warm house, isn't your heart going to have a shock? of some kind. I heard that that's why you should wear coats.

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 30-Nov-12 07:54:31

If he's wearing shorts because he's happy in them, won't get cold at playtimes, that's fine.
If he's wearing shorts because a daft parent has some sort of Just William/Blyton fantasy then that's wrong on all counts.

RedHelenB Fri 30-Nov-12 08:00:59

My son 6 chooses to wear shorts to school - trousers make his eczema itchy. It's cold this morning, I'll ask does he want his trousers but I've a feeling it will be no! He's only just wearing a jumper over his short sleeved shirt!!!

RedHelenB Fri 30-Nov-12 08:03:10

Oh & he wears ankle socks!! Having said all that, central heating is on in school & at playtimes hes running around the playground!!

usualsuspect3 Fri 30-Nov-12 08:11:00

Sometimes I think I've slipped back in time when I read MN. Are there still really schools that won't let boys wear long trousers?

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 08:18:14

DS is in year 6 and is one of a few who still likes wearing shorts - only in summer though. I think he looks cute too ! But I wouldn't do it if he fell over often to save the knees of trousers - I'd rather save the knees of DS with a little layer of protection smile

DeWe Fri 30-Nov-12 09:18:04

Ds wore shorts all last year except one day.

This year he's worn trousers the last two days, but he could have just as well chosen shorts, and probably will next week even if it's as cold.

MrsMelons Fri 30-Nov-12 10:37:12

Yep DSs school have quite an old fashioned uniform - only shorts in infants though - it literally is just his knees that show and his coat covers them anyway. He looks very cute though. He is a bit accident prone so trousers would be better for him.

My friends DS was so tiny when he started school she put him in shorts as all the trousers were too long!

puds11 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:39:48

Children are quite warm most of the time to be fair. However, i wouldn't because i know how much i would hate it, but thats just my personal feelings (im a big jessy when it comes to cold). When i was younger though i used to play in the snow in crop tops!!!!

YABU. It's freezing. Shorts are for summer.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Fri 30-Nov-12 10:46:15

I suppose if you have to walk 3 mile in a blizzard then shorts would be harsh.
But ds hops in the car and hops out. He runs around at play time.

I asked him this morning if he was cold, he said he wasn't.

I think some of you are mardy arses.

How is wearing shorts any different from girls wearing skirts and socks. Would anybody bat an eyelid about a girl dressed that way?

I live next to a school and the children are out for playtime (infants) No boys in shorts but there is a girl with a skirt and short socks and quite a few with skirts and longer socks. Nobody is standing around shivering.

Have we all got a bit pampered these days? My mother's generation weren't allowed to wear long trousers until they hit secondary school, and they were OK but nowadays most of us have central heating and enough clothes and perhaps we have got a bit soft.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go out in shorts/skirt and socks so who am I to say others should. However, if you don't feel the cold then why not?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 30-Nov-12 11:04:16

I'd bat an eyelid at a girl in skirt and socks in this weather.... Tights, anyone?

YABU

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Fri 30-Nov-12 11:06:50

Yes tights.

But there were girls at ds' school in a pinafore and long socks this morning.

I grew up in an era when there were no tights for girls and long socks were just fine. I don't remember being cold and that is what we all wore. At secondary we started wearing over-the-knee socks but even then woolly tights weren't really available and nobody's parents forked out for sheer tights. They might not even have been allowed.

Mind you, I don't get the idea that trousers are somehow warmer than skirts. That isn't my experience at all so that perhaps why I don't feel the need to have every inch of skin directly covered.

I am old though what do I know!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now