Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To tell an e-bay buyer that I will NOT post a collection only item

(55 Posts)
FlossieF Thu 29-Nov-12 00:17:11

I've just sold our crib on e-bay. It was clearly stated that it is collection only (buyer to pick-up) both in the listing info and description and our location was in the description. Buyer then announced they are too far away to collect it, and they will pay the postage, whatever it costs.

I've never tried to post such a heavy item, and even in bits it's still pretty large. Obviously it must be possible to post / courier it, but I'm not a mail-order company, and I really can't be bothered to schlep around getting appropriate packaging material and spending the time packaging it to ensure it arrives in its current condition.

I'd feel bad, but I'm sure I'm within my e-bay rights to refuse. What do you think?

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 18:23:14

No worries, just glad if my own bitter experiences can help anyone!! smile

I've been reasonably lucky so far, the odd numpty but nothing really bad, well, only a few and nearly 1,000 feedback over around 7 years.

I dislike selling on ebay, I really do and it's got far harder in the last couple of years as the bias switches firmly toward the buyer - but when I have to, I do it, and you get some very good transactions as well as the non payers and wanting to return stuff wot didn't fit, sort of thing.

It's not all bad. Just be aware of the potential for disaster and it's not such a shock!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 18:00:16

That is the bright side grin

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 17:55:01

On the bright side, Chippin, your courier will love you!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 17:54:05

Well, thanks everyone (esp Rooney), I will be selling differently now. My courier is going to be a very busy bloke as it looks like he'll be doing my deliveries as well as my collections!

I think I need to hang out on the eBay board.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 17:48:11

Thanks Rooney. Not going to threaten them with bad feedback. Considering they are a business seller, I think it is pretty lax they have not responded to my message yet. At this rate, they will get bad feedback anyway!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 17:44:05

Rooney - can I cry now? This is all going to be one huge arse ache isn't it. I think I might look into a <god forbid> facebook page instead. Mind you, I'm guessing that's just as bad <sobs>.

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 14:41:38

But you can then leave them negative feedback smile Just don't threaten to first! - that won't be looked kindly upon by ebay. (feedback extortion thingy)

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 14:40:18

Oh dear...that's such a shame. Well, it depends on the seller. A really decent seller will refund your return postage as well - be polite, ask nicely to return it, ask if they will consider return postage too as it wasn't just a case of not liking the item.

They may agree but if they decide to be arsey, you might have to open a case and then you'll have to pay return postage - and it'll have to be recorded delivery which tbh is worth doing whatever.

Hope this helps a bit.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:34:55

{ Sorry for Highjack Rooney, I spent for ever sourcing a particular egg cup [not at all busy emoticon] and was happy when I found two in an ebay shop. Ordered them both, and the listing says new undamaged, but one of the two, is badly chipped. Will I have to pay my own postage to return it? sad }

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 14:32:05

Also you can get left a negative as a seller if you cancel the transaction and the buyer refuses to agree to it - and lose your final value fees, too.

I had this over the summer - refused to let someone send her own courier for a collect only item, she was utterly patronising, very rude and I explained wearily why I couldn't do it.

She refused to cancel the transaction, I lost my fees, ebay didn't help at all despite the listing saying collection only, and she surprisingly didn't leave me negative feedback - though she had done so for some other poor bugger who insisted on bank transfer when she insisted on courier collection.

It was pretty rubbish.

Loie159 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:28:50

tbh I would have just cancelled the order. People in general can be very strange...... I have had postal only items that people have then expected me to personally deliver (!) and items that are collection only that they then want to get posted..... As a result I have cancelled a few orders before and simply refunded the money if they have paid. You can open a dispute in ebay and then after 7 or 14 days if you are in the "right" they refund you your fees.

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 14:28:32

Chipping, I know, it's awful to think that buyers can behave like this, but it's absolutely true. You can check with Fergoose on the ebay board if you like grin she knows everything!

I know there are perfectly alright buyers out there and I've often arranged my own courier if the seller didn't mind.

But what people who are nice, don't realise always, is that if there's a problem with the item getting lost or damaged, the buyer CAN claim through paypal, and they'll refund them, even if it was a problem caused by their own courier - the seller has to prove delivery to the registered address on the paypal account. And if the buyer arranged the courier, the seller can't even claim back from them iyswim because the contract was between buyer and courier.

Also it's been known that a buyer will claim non receipt of an item they collected in person, and because there's no online tracking, paypal will find in their favour. It's terrible.

Most people are like you and wouldn't dream of doing this, however, you need to know your position if you're selling, and to be aware that you might be putting yourself at risk of an unfair claim in certain situations.

Just for peace of mind really.

Btw - they have 45 days to claim through ebay or paypal, and as long as they like (over a year at least) to do a credit card chargeback through paypal, and paypal can do nothing about this. Thankfully it's not very common.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:25:08

I guess I have just been lucky so far.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:23:38

When I sold a cast iron bed on eBay this summer, the courier helped disassembling it, and packed it in blankets for transport.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 14:21:49

Quint - that's what I would have said too - but if you read the thread, it would appear that's not such a great idea either.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 14:21:08

HearMyRoar - that is of course your perogative smile However, you needn't worry about packaging, the buyer just needs to let the courier know what 'state' it's in (ie one piece, packaged or loose bits). Not many people can fit a bed (or its parts) in a car so I think you are really reducing your 'market' by not allowing it to be collected by a courier - but of course, that's entirely your choice.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:20:56

She needs to arrange a courier to come and pick up, but I dont think you can expect the courier to pay cash. She needs to pay through paypal prior to collection.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 14:18:17

Sorry - that should say, IF the buyer blames you, then you'll have no protection. It is according to ebay rules and paypal rules, entirely the responsibility of the seller to get the item to the buyer in the same state it was sold. That's why you should never take paypal for an item that is collected in person OR without online tracking YOU have arranged, and can demonstrate to paypal or ebay if required

I suppose the difference is that I consider it to be 'in my posession' when my courier picks it up.

I have paid by paypal for things I've collected myself as well. In fact, to me, it always seemed like the buyer was more at risk in that situation than the seller - but it had never occured to me that you could reverse a paypal payment - that seems bonkers! How long after the payment can you reverse it?

I have no choice but to pay by paypal and organise a courier - I can't collect furniture myself and it's not practical to get a courier to pay for it. So far no-one has had a problem with it - so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues that way!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 14:12:05

Rooney x-posted smile

HearMyRoar Thu 29-Nov-12 14:10:38

I've just refused someone who wanted to arrange a courier to collect a bed I'm selling on the basis that I can't be arsed to sort out packaging. If I could I would have said so in the listing. So no yanbu.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 14:10:37

Rooney - you are quite upset and puzzled by my post? Why on earth is that? I'm dreadfully sorry if it has upset you, but I can't see anything in there that would be worthy of upset??

Bongaloo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:01:43

I think I'd refuse.
You might have got more for it if it had been open to more buyers with a postage/courier option.

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 14:00:14

Ah I see what you mean...yes it did sound like I was saying, the buyer will blame you if anything happens to it.

Sorry - that should say, IF the buyer blames you, then you'll have no protection.

It is according to ebay rules and paypal rules, entirely the responsibility of the seller to get the item to the buyer in the same state it was sold.

That's why you should never take paypal for an item that is collected in person OR without online tracking YOU have arranged, and can demonstrate to paypal or ebay if required.

I don't mean all buyers are horrid. I just mean that you've nothing to protect you if something happens to it and there's a dispute - you won't be able to prove that the couriers lost it or damaged it.

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 13:52:17

'You could get your point across by saying 'make sure your responsibility for the condition of the item ends as soon as the courier collects it' or something.'

That won't wash if the buyer pays by paypal and makes a claim.

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 13:51:13

Chipping, I'm quite upset and puzzled by your post.

I was giving advice based on the factthat if the buyer pays by paypal, they would then be able to open a case against the OP for an item which arrived not as described, eg damaged, even if it were by their own courier.

If you read my posts carefully I've accepted that this is a transaction that could work out fine, though I wouldn't recommend accepting paypal for the item, for the seller's peace of mind as some buyers can take advantage - that doesn't mean all do.

I also stated that if she accepts other forms of payment than paypal, as Squeaky suggested, she should be fine.

I'm not sure what I have done to offend you sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now