To tell an e-bay buyer that I will NOT post a collection only item

(55 Posts)
FlossieF Thu 29-Nov-12 00:17:11

I've just sold our crib on e-bay. It was clearly stated that it is collection only (buyer to pick-up) both in the listing info and description and our location was in the description. Buyer then announced they are too far away to collect it, and they will pay the postage, whatever it costs.

I've never tried to post such a heavy item, and even in bits it's still pretty large. Obviously it must be possible to post / courier it, but I'm not a mail-order company, and I really can't be bothered to schlep around getting appropriate packaging material and spending the time packaging it to ensure it arrives in its current condition.

I'd feel bad, but I'm sure I'm within my e-bay rights to refuse. What do you think?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 17:48:11

Thanks Rooney. Not going to threaten them with bad feedback. Considering they are a business seller, I think it is pretty lax they have not responded to my message yet. At this rate, they will get bad feedback anyway!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 17:54:05

Well, thanks everyone (esp Rooney), I will be selling differently now. My courier is going to be a very busy bloke as it looks like he'll be doing my deliveries as well as my collections!

I think I need to hang out on the eBay board.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 17:55:01

On the bright side, Chippin, your courier will love you!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 29-Nov-12 18:00:16

That is the bright side grin

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 18:23:14

No worries, just glad if my own bitter experiences can help anyone!! smile

I've been reasonably lucky so far, the odd numpty but nothing really bad, well, only a few and nearly 1,000 feedback over around 7 years.

I dislike selling on ebay, I really do and it's got far harder in the last couple of years as the bias switches firmly toward the buyer - but when I have to, I do it, and you get some very good transactions as well as the non payers and wanting to return stuff wot didn't fit, sort of thing.

It's not all bad. Just be aware of the potential for disaster and it's not such a shock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now