Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think the woman who gave Prince William a babygrow...

(69 Posts)
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 28-Nov-12 18:44:06

Is a bit of a nutter if she thinks he will actually keep it and use it? hmm

Frankelstein Wed 28-Nov-12 21:30:03

They've said openly in interviews that they want children. If they didn't want them they would have dodged the questions - a la Charles and his "whatever love is" comment grin

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 28-Nov-12 21:30:34

I'm not even sure a Royal (especially one so close to being the next heir to the throne) could decide they didn't want children. I mean they could, I have no idea what the implications of that would be though.

MissSlapAndTipple Wed 28-Nov-12 21:32:49

They do seem to have a huge amount of pressure and I'm guessing like Frankel they probably waited to get married until they could cope with the 'baby next' bombardment, lets face it, royals don't tend to breed out of wedlock. Even still there's huge pressure. Haven't most royal babies been born within a year a marriage - apart from Edward and Sophie. I seem to remember that they might have had fertility treatment. But, they are a young modern couple who may not want children for another 5/6 years, if at all. Nothing wrong with having kids later in life, or not at all.

AFAIK anyway, royal gifts get kept for a year in a big room then auctioned discreetly for charity after the year? They will however consume food gifts.....or so I was led to believe. I didn't believe it, I bet it gets fed to the corgi's. In fact, they may cut the sleeves off the babygrow and put it on a corgi. How funny would that be. smile

LynetteScavo England Wed 28-Nov-12 21:42:24

Personally I think it's shockingly bad form, and very presumptuous.

A young couple my not want to have children or may not be able to have children.

I really hope in this day and age Catherine wasn't vetted to see if she were willing/able to have DC. (But I bet she was).

The thought of Harry's offspring taking the throne amuses me.

I wouldn't be surprised if William had sarcastically muttered "no pressure" between gritted teeth as he received it.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Belgium Wed 28-Nov-12 22:06:58

I wish them all the best. Poor Princess Masako of Japan suffered appallingly when it took her "too long" to conceive.

muffinino82 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:33:08

I haven't seen the footage but I do think it's a bit of a silly thing to do, as we have no idea whether or not they are trying or having problems if they are. If she was pregnant, then it could be a sweet gesture.

I do think that they will try, as it would be unusual for the second in line not to. I would think discussions re does she want kids would have taken place before marriage as, frankly, for the wife of the heirs, it's their job to have children, whether we like the idea or not (I am anti royalist so hope they all die out eventually).

On a different note, I'm surprised Zara has change her name. I was shocked to read that she is formally known as Mrs. Michael Tindall shock I'm guessing if she did hold a royal title, Princess whatever, she wouldn't be known as that but as she holds no title, she's known by her husband's name despite him being a commoner? What would happen if she wanted to use the title Ms?
What a load of shite, though, to be known by your husband's name not your own. I'm also surprised that she was referred to as Zara Phillips at the Olympics as they were very big on formality. Tina Cook, or example, is usually called that but they insisted on using her full name, Kristina, for the Olympics.
Did she change her name or not? I wonder if she didn't but court formality calls for her to be known in an old fashioned way? Thinking out loud, now.

Frankelstein Wed 28-Nov-12 22:37:46

I think Zara has changed her name for day to day use, but continues to compete as "Zara Phillips" as that is her "brand" as it were.

lovebunny Wed 28-Nov-12 22:57:45

george dawes. prince william.

threesocksmorgan Wed 28-Nov-12 22:58:19

oh yanbu
she was an attentions seeking twat.

muffinino82 Sat 01-Dec-12 20:23:31

Oh ok, that's interesting, I wasn't sure if the Olympic committee would accept anything other than an official name - hearing 'Georgina' instead of 'Piggy' French would have been very weird grin

DyeInTheEar Sat 01-Dec-12 21:05:23

YANBU -it's exactly what I said to DH when we watched the news. They could be TTC and feeling the pressure. Or they could not be TTC and feeling the pressure.

IMO it was a creepy and seedy thing to do and she was embarrassingly over excited and breathy about the whole encounter as she jigged her poor baby up and down at alarming rate.

WelshMaenad Sat 01-Dec-12 21:17:08

I would be very very surprised if, as future Crown Princess, Kate had not undergone fertility testing before they got married.

Im fairly sure Diana was screened. Cant remember where i heard that though.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sat 01-Dec-12 21:24:43

YANBU, I agree with Pagwatch et al, how crass.

LetsFaceThePresentsTheyrePants Sat 01-Dec-12 21:25:00

YADNBU it was crass.

I also feel a bit sorry for her having to work out a way to get on MN without anyone twigging grin

LetsFaceThePresentsTheyrePants Sat 01-Dec-12 21:30:11

Especially the MIL threads

judefawley Sat 01-Dec-12 21:33:15

I just assumed she was a nutter.

PassTheMincePies Sat 01-Dec-12 21:47:02

What Pagwatch said. Never thought of it that way, but what if they were having trouble conceiving?! OK, we have no clue if they are and for all we know, aren't, and just don't want them yet and want to wait a few years.
We just don't know. I have a friend who is finding it extremely difficult to fall pregnant, and has been trying for a few years now with her husband, and it just hasn't happened, even though they desperately want it to. sad
If she'd been handed a babygro? She'd feel extremely upset.
So in Kate's position, to summarise, none of us have a bleedin' clue what her circumstances are as none of us actually KNOW her.
She might not want babies yet, she might want them desperately but can't, or be pregnant now but is refusing to tell anyone too early as there's too many nosy so and so's around
None of our business. It's a personal issue. Not one that we should feel comfortable handing out babygro's to sad

Cortana Sat 01-Dec-12 23:17:21

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now