to think christmas dinner is just a roast....

(99 Posts)
AmberSocks Wed 28-Nov-12 18:24:36

which are pretty rank anyway.

I'm not keen on English food,most of it is really bland,a Christmas dinner is basically just boiled veg and some chicken,gravy isn't particularly interesting.

I don't get the big deal?

AmberSocks Thu 29-Nov-12 12:56:51

Hmm not sure about the carp either!

racingheart Thu 29-Nov-12 13:05:06

I think cooking a big curry from scratch, with all the trimmings: dahl and sag and naan has the same effect as Christmas dinner - an out of the ordinary effort to keep you going during the darkest days of the year.

Eat whatever you fancy. People make their own traditions. I quite fancy doing curry one year once DS2 finally comes round to appreciating it. Roast is still his favourite dinner, though.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 29-Nov-12 13:08:09

Yes, actually! Just stop being so rude about something that lots of people love. You are coming across as if you think you are somehow superior.

Anyway I'm not engaging further because you are just looking for a reaction now.

MissMogwi Thu 29-Nov-12 13:10:09

YABVU and you obviously haven't had a good roast dinner before.grin

I love Christmas dinner, the king of roast dinners IMO, and even better if someone else makes it. Yummy pigs in blankets, roasties, lots of veg, turkey and mum's gravy. Can't wait.

Enigmosaurus Thu 29-Nov-12 13:12:33

YABU.

Christmas Dinner is the ultimate Roast Dinner. I am drooling at the thought already.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 13:14:16

I don't understand why people get into such a lather. It surely is just more of the similar?

And that bloody Morrisons advert- Sexist stereotyped crap.

Scheherezade Thu 29-Nov-12 13:18:33

We're having a five bird roast. That's a pretty good roast to me grin

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 13:18:56

Actually now my dds are older christmas dinner is the highlight I love christmas dinner , i am going out next week with work for lunch and I am going to have the works <drool>

I said before i go to my mums but I buy and cook pigs in blankets and cook them just to munch on while watching xmas telly

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 13:20:59

We have made 14 Christmas Puddings so far and have three left from last year that we have been feeding with Rum or Brandy all year. We supply three of our local market traders with thank you puddings and each Autumn they anxiously check with us that we're going to make them.

Nigel Slater's highly adapted recipe- works perfectly!

Oh and DH has made a Creme De Menthe Roulade for the last 25 years in various Christmas houses. It would not be Christmas without that.

We are having either Beef or Tuna Carpaccio this year for starters. Parmiggiano from La Fromaggeria even though Aldi's Parmiggiano is just as tasty TBH (corroborated by our Italian relatives from the DOC region where it is made).

RingoBaa Thu 29-Nov-12 13:26:00

I was actually thinking today that its just a roast. I was planning on doing a traditional Xmas dinner but I'm vegetarian and my kids are young and picky so I'm going to do a buffet lunch instead. Sort of birthday party food and a big chocolate Christmas cake. Can't wait!

FellatioNelson Thu 29-Nov-12 13:26:12

Are you forrin Ambersocks? I have forrin friends who are all militant gravy avoiders, even on English food like roasts and then they have the cheek to complain that they don't like roasts. shock Well probably neither would I if they didn't have any lovely gravy on. It has to be proper gravy though - none of your granules with hot water shite.

All you Christmas dinner haters must just be rubbish cooks, or you must have suffered in the clutches of some rubbish cooks, that's all I can say. grin

American 'gravy' is a vile abomination though. It's not proper gravy at all. <hoiks bosom>

bochead Thu 29-Nov-12 15:12:45

Over the years my Mother & I have done a "proper" scratch cooked British Xmas dinner for a variety of nationalities (Nigeria to Romania, a few Japanese swinging by on the way) and NEVER have we heard it called "just a roast". Twould be enough to have me sobbing in me mulled cider!

My Mum's pud is to die for, my cake is gaining it's own following & if you haven't added a sprig of Rosemary to your roasties, or sampled our chesnut stuffing you haven't truly lived imho.

You continue to boil all the goodness out of your veg dear, and I'll cook mine properly. Don't cover it up with a side helping of snoot. If you don't want that American import turkey do a goose as per the nursery rhyme or discover just why the French called us le ros bif for centuries - roast Scottish beef is probably the best in the world!

"Mum's been to Iceland" or sampled Wetherspoons & let the side down methinks. The best of British cooking isn't to be found via poncey TV chefs or fancy restaurants but in perfectly ordinary kitchens throughout the land. There's a LOT wrong with British culture right now - but a decent Xmas dinner isn't one of them.

Dear Lord, next you'll be telling us you don't appreciate the occasional cup of proper builders tea brewed nice and strong.

Ah well, "keep calm and carry on" there's all the more for me wink

laptopdancer Thu 29-Nov-12 15:15:14

I went to my first Xmas "festive meal" at a local pub restaurant yesterday and, depsite it being called a festive menu and costing more, it was indeed just a roast. Rubbish.

Kendodd Thu 29-Nov-12 15:20:18

We always have turkey, aren't you supposed to eat loads of food you don't like at Christmas?

Turkey
Mince Pies
Christmas Pudding
Sprouts

Nobody likes them but we all still eat the because it Christmas and you're meant to. I draw the line a Christmas cake though.

SantyClaws Thu 29-Nov-12 15:56:47

speak for yourself Ken - we love all those things in this house grin

AmberSocks Thu 29-Nov-12 16:16:23

Im not foreign but my mum is Italian,my husband is half spanish.I find traditional english food quite bland,i have had properly cooked roasts before,they were nice but like i said before,i dont see the big deal or how they are anything special.and its nothing to do with how they are cooked,if someones not keen on fish you dont tell them theyve never had a nice fish,or if someone doesnt like curry you dont tell them theyre just going to the wrong places!

I think its quite funny how you are all getting offended tbh grin its just food!

And tea is ok,lovely sometimes but you cant beat a nice (italian) coffee.wink

giveitago Thu 29-Nov-12 16:57:08

Imperial - thanks for the recipe - sounds straight forward enough. But I'm sure I'll screw it up.

To me it's like a fry up. Lovely to have sometimes but a pain to make with all the different foods cooking at different speeds.

I make great roast potato and veggies though.

I've convinced dh we need roast this christmas as ds has just got into them.

Zippylovesgeorge Thu 29-Nov-12 17:00:25

Love christmas dinner - the turkey is just a small part of it. Buy a boned turkey crown - cooks quickly and remains so tender and no waste except the string!

Love all the veggies too - roast spuds & parsnips, carrots, red cabbage and sprouts - plus the bread sauce, stuffing and lashings of gravy!

Am hungry for one now !

maxybrown Thu 29-Nov-12 17:47:21

I see where you are coming from OP - I don't find it bland at all and would eat roasts every day of the year, but I completely get what you are saying.

MY DH doesn't like roasts at all, he too finds them bland (no, it's not me, I am good at cooking!) t then what does he know, he'd live off processed ham sandwiches if I let him hmm

He wants to have lamb this year, but not sure what we will do as he still wants turkey as he loves turkey and the works sandwiches!

Hobbitation Thu 29-Nov-12 17:51:02

It is just a roast, it's all the extra trimmings and veg that make it special, and also the numbers can make it more difficult than usual. I think the challenges it presents most people are is timing, space and keeping everything warm enough for the table. The only manic bit for me is serving up. All hands on deck for that.

I don't have to do anything this year though as it's not my turn, and PIL are doing venison not turkey - yum!

nkf Thu 29-Nov-12 17:55:07

It's all about the trimmings and leftovers. Turkey, stuffing and cranbery sandwich. Bubble and squeak with a fried egg. It's all good. The turkey is just the means to an end.

spoonsspoonsspoons Thu 29-Nov-12 17:55:48

I suspect you may have got different responses if you hadn't included the phrase "which are pretty rank anyway"

I'd tend to think that anyone who thinks a roast dinner is rank hadn't ever had a decent one, if they said it wasn't something they particularly got excited about I'd think fair enough.

AmberSocks Thu 29-Nov-12 17:57:53

most are rank,really well cooked ones with lots of flavours are ok,but not something i want to eat on a special occassion.

katykuns Thu 29-Nov-12 18:15:41

Even when it's bad it's good... because it's a tradition, it's what you do. If you haven't grown up with it, you probably will never hold it in any importance to the people that have.

Rosemary and garlic roast potatoes went down a storm the last two years. Rosemary soaked in goose fat with garlic puree (from the tube) mixed in. It was super strong smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now